Olight I3T EOS button getting slow/harder to push...

tomzarbo

Newly Enlightened
I have had my Olight I3T EOS flashlight for several years now. I'm a preschool teacher and I need a compact front shirt pocket sized light with decent output and this fits the bill just right.

Over the past year or so it has gotten much harder to push the on/off button. Also, when I do push it in all the way to turn it on, it takes more time to push back out to normal than it used to.

I've taken the tail off and I don't see a way to lubricate the internal switch. It doesn't LOOK like I can easily get the rubber button cover off to put some contact/cleaner/lubrication on the works, but maybe I just haven't tried hard enough?

Has anyone else run into this same issue, and how did you solve it? I use this daily so it has gotten a lot of use.

Thanks in advance,

TomZ

tomzarbo

Newly Enlightened
I wrote Olight via email and mentioned the issue I am having. They replied within a day or so, and they're sending me a new one.
They have good customer service. That's refreshing.

Tom Zarbo

tiago26

Newly Enlightened
I have the Olight I5T with less than 1 year of use and it is having the same problem, I am disappointed with this light

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened
I rinsed my i5T tailswitch and lubricated the gap between the tail & switch with silicone oil. After a few clicks the switch smooth again.

colin.p

Newly Enlightened
I had my i3t switch fail after 18 months and Olight replaced the light. Then 6 months later, the replacement light switch failed and Olight replaced that one. It kind of soured me on tail switches in general and Olight tail switches in particular. However to be fair, Olight's customer service/warranty department were flawless in the times I dealt with them even if the hardware is a little lacking.

I was looking to buy an i5t but after the switch issue, settled on a Lumintop Tool AA as I can use the twist-head for a switch if need be. I liked that so much that I also picked up a Tool AAA.

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
This has happened a couple times with my Olight clickies. Their clicky design is a little different than most others:
Most clickies have a silicone/rubber cap that waterproofs the light and the click mechanism inside that.
Olight uses a metal or plastic button and for waterproofing it has an o-ring that slides against the body of the button.

As with all flashlight o-rings this needs lubricating from time-to-time. I lubricate mine with a drop of mineral oil (the base oil in many traditional oils but it is scentless and food safe). It's good as new with a drop every year or so. Also should help keep it waterproof!

I love the design and don't mind oiling it every now and again.