OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR SST50 TITANIUM LIMITED EDITION

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moien Henk. My partner is from Luxembourg and we often go there to see her family. Next time I'm there I'll have to look you up. :)

My Olight Infinitum in the picture was the last one of the polished (American) versions.

I think it goes well with the M20 Ti LE :thumbsup:

Well, the world is small! :D

I wonder if the Quark Titanium set will also go well with the Olights... :huh:

I think from now on I will focus on Titaniums, your signature is an inspiration and I'll change mine soon, that list below looks even horrible to me by now! From now on, the collection will be split in two : The discontinued flashlights and the active Titaniums!

HKJ

Flashaholic
I also got mine:
DSC_8170.jpg

I love the look of a titanium light.

DSC_8173.jpg

But I had to take it apart and it was very easy to do.

DSC_8174.jpg

The reason to take it apart was to look at the new led. It looks like we are secured that the led is always centered.

That was the good part, when comparing it to other lights, the output is a bit low:

BrightnessMax.png

This is done with my usual ceiling bounce. The output from the light is about the same as one level down on TK40, i.e. just below 300 lumens (I used 2x16340 batteries).

Edit:
The light (at least my copy of it) need 4.2 volt to get full output, i.e. 18650 will not stay in regulation.

BrightnessCurrent.png

The lumen value is scaled from the specification and my lux measurements, a max. of 280 instead of 500 would probably be more correct.

Last edited:

wapkil

Enlightened
That was the good part, when comparing it to other lights, the output is a bit low:

This is done with my usual ceiling bounce. The output from the light is about the same as one level down on TK40, i.e. just below 300 lumens (I used 2x16340 batteries).

Matt wrote in the Market Place thread that the LED is driven at 1.6A. For your measurements it means ~87% driver efficiency which, I believe is, quite possible if the driver is optimized for the high level. If the flux bin is WJ (as Matt also wrote) according to the specification the LED should put out 470lm - 560lm. Even if you are unlucky, I think you should get closer to 400lm OTF than 300lm you estimated. Have you tried to check if the LED overheats?

EDIT: I read it once again and I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. Do you estimate the output as 300lm OTF or 300lm on the emitter. I think Fenix specifies emitter lumens but 300lm for an SST-50 at 1.6A seem ridiculously low...

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is only one sure way to find out. Matt should send me one next week and I will test it. If he offers to pay return shipping and donate a new 1AA Terralux pocket light for services I will see to it he even gets this back, for other than a show off light I really don't need it and wouldn't use it as a "working light". The sphere of truth is going away time is short, kind of a now or never proposition. I will be gone next week on a secret vacation but will be back by the following monday. I will try to get a full 5 minute set of readings on it. This nagging question really needs to be settled. I am of the belief its another 300 to 350 out the front lumens type of light. G.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Matt wrote in the Market Place thread that the LED is driven at 1.6A. For your measurements it means ~87% driver efficiency which, I believe is, quite possible if the driver is optimized for the high level. If the flux bin is WJ (as Matt also wrote) according to the specification the LED should put out 470lm - 560lm. Even if you are unlucky, I think you should get closer to 400lm OTF than 300lm you estimated. Have you tried to check if the LED overheats?

EDIT: I read it once again and I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. Do you estimate the output as 300lm OTF or 300lm on the emitter. I think Fenix specifies emitter lumens but 300lm for an SST-5 at 1.6A seem ridiculously low...

I would expect the led current to be more like 1.3A from the current/brightness graph. My lumen guess is OTF lumens, calculated from the assumption that TK40 is delivering 630 OTF lumen on turbo. If TK40 is lower then M20 is also lower (Based on the same assumption TK11 is 224 lumen and M30 is 564 lumen).

I did run the light a few minutes before doing the measurement and the output does drop a bit, but I did not write the initial value down.

HKJ

Flashaholic
There is only one sure way to find out. Matt should send me one next week and I will test it. If he offers to pay return shipping and donate a new 1AA Terralux pocket light for services I will see to it he even gets this back, for other than a show off light I really don't need it and wouldn't use it as a "working light". The sphere of truth is going away time is short, kind of a now or never proposition. I will be gone next week on a secret vacation but will be back by the following monday. I will try to get a full 5 minute set of readings on it. This nagging question really needs to be settled. I am of the belief its another 300 to 350 out the front lumens type of light. G.

Ceiling bounce, cheap luxmeter and another light as reference is not exactly the epitome of precision. It would be nice to see a real lumen measurement of this light.

I would also be nice to see some other voltage/current sweep, if the 4.2 volt is typical or I just have a led with high Vf. One guess could be that the high Vf forced OLight to reduce the led current, to keep the heat down.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Ceiling bounce, cheap luxmeter and another light as reference is not exactly the epitome of precision. It would be nice to see a real lumen measurement of this light.

I would also be nice to see some other voltage/current sweep, if the 4.2 volt is typical or I just have a led with high Vf. One guess could be that the high Vf forced OLight to reduce the led current, to keep the heat down.

LEDZeppelin has a thread in the home-made section where he used an SST-50 in a mag-mod.

He measured the Vf as 3.7V when it was driven at 5A. At 1.75A, it would have been much lower.

So I don't think that 4.2V is typical of all SST-50s and I certainly hope its not.

I have to say that the output on mine looks to be quite a lot higher than 280 out-the-front lumens.

HKJ

Flashaholic
LEDZeppelin has a thread in the home-made section where he used an SST-50 in a mag-mod.

He measured the Vf as 3.7V when it was driven at 5A. At 1.75A, it would have been much lower.

So I don't think that 4.2V is typical of all SST-50s and I certainly hope its not.

That makes me wonder if OLights new polarity protection is a diode in series with the battery? I do not really believe that they would use that kind of solution. I will probably do some more measurement later today.

I have to say that the output on mine looks to be quite a lot higher than 280 out-the-front lumens.

I would also have expected it to be brighter, maybe mine is below average. I will hope some more people can do measurement, so we can compare.

HKJ

Flashaholic
That makes me wonder if OLights new polarity protection is a diode in series with the battery? I do not really believe that they would use that kind of solution. I will probably do some more measurement later today.

I have done some more measurements, peek current is 1.4A and with a cold light it is at about 4.2 volt, when the light heats up it drops to 4.0 volt.

I would also have expected it to be brighter, maybe mine is below average. I will hope some more people can do measurement, so we can compare.

I tried doing these measurement again today and got the same result, brightness is just below TK40 on max. (Rated 277 lumen, but I get 300). I used 3 different battery configurations (2x16340, 2xCR123, 1x18650) and two light meters (CA813, HD450).

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
and yet not a single beamshot or video, you guys should all be embarassed. This is a $300 plus dollar flashlight and we can't get a single good beamshot comparison out of it yet. sheeesssssshhhhhhhh. :whistle:

:popcorn:
:candle:

n1ch0

Newly Enlightened
I've taken some pic comparison with the M20 Q5 and R2.. just need to clean up the pic abit and will post asap :D

n1ch0

Newly Enlightened
about 3meters..
P1000961.jpg

M20 Ti>R2>Q5

At about 7 meters..
P1000974.jpg

M20 R2>Ti>Q5

All on 18650s - M20 Ti with 2x RCR 123s actually have smaller hot spot (is this the correct term?) and better throw
------------------------------------------
Short review..

Comparison between M20 Ti/R2/Q5,
Ti has bigger hotspot(?), kinda more to M30 ish kinda of light. Compared 500lumens of Ti to 250lmns of R2 and 230lumens of Q5, I would say the R2 is more tighter on the light and actually feels brighter on short range.

However on further range, the Ti actually is pretty good at flooding and at about 50-60ms I can still shine my brother and he have to cover his eyes :p.. with the Q5s, he can still squint a bit...

Using 2x RCR 123s actually have different output for the Ti. The beam is more tighter and is better thrower => We compared 2 Ti's side by side.. and theres noticeable differences..

But considering the light is only 2x CR123 size and can be stored in jeans pockets, the light surely pack alot of power. I've gotten quit a few "wows" when showing them indoor with interior lights on.

P1000989.jpg

btw, is the pics too small?

ARA

Enlightened
Hey nice personalization with the name etching how did you get that done

n1ch0

Newly Enlightened
I asked the factory very nicely through the authorised Olight agent in Indonesia <<<< uhmmm myself :p hehehehe

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the M20 earlier this week and the build is absolutely beautiful. Nothing like holding a titanium flashlight in your hand.

I do have one issues though. I don't feel like my M20 is as bright as it should be. I have the Jetbeam M1x, which is rated 400 Lumens out the front and it completely blows the M20 away. I compared it with the Surefire U2, which is rated for 100 lumens, and the M20 is only a tad brighter. I've tried running it on 1x18650, 2xCR123, 2xRCR123 and it doesn't make a difference. To me, it seems like the M20 is more in the 200ish lumens than 500. Did you guys feel the same way? Did I get a bad batch or is my eyes just going bad?

I still think this is a beautiful light and I still love it, but just wished it was brighter. Let me know what you guys think.