Olight M30 Triton Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Any idea what uP is used in the tailcap for PWM multimode control?

In a similar multifunction tailcap with a main tailcap button and a side button, the AMTEL Tiny13V was used. Interestingly, this particular tailcap didn't seem to be compatible with all LED modules. It didn't like two DX drop-ins (SKU6090 and SKU11836), for example, but it did like a different module that used an ST1S03 step-down current mode PWM DC-DC converter.

I have no idea what microcontroller was used, but it has both a controller and a 5 ampere electronic current switch in that tailcap.

The requirement for the driver is very fast startup, in Olight it uses 0.00004 second (40uS) to turn on the light, I would not expect all drivers to handle that.

JKL

Enlightened
Nice review, as always.

Thanks Selfbuilt.
icon14.gif

jkl/klm

Last edited:

Ecodelosandes

Newly Enlightened
Selbuilt, another excellent review, as always! Thank you!
I do see the flicker caused by the PWM in low. The others settings have it too, but only if you "want" to see it, no problems for me at all in normal use of the upper two.
I've tried the tailcap switch with the M20 too, and experienced the same problem with the threads: the M30's fits (very loose) on the M20 (looks pretty too, but don't work to light on), but the M20's cap seems to be too tight in the M30, it will not fit on "normal" attempts. Am i seeing bad or the threads on the M30 are a little bit conic, kinda BSPT type?
My results? The M20 will remain as "the king of the pocket", and the M30 will remain at home, and when a "lighthouse" will be needed on the go. Great light, no doubts! :wave:

JKL

Enlightened
I see the flickering just on the low level, at any rate if I use two 18650, the flickering on low disappears.

For Who is searching an holster for the M30 :

The Vega Holster make a black "Cordura expandable 21" baton holder" (Item 2P65),
in which the flashlight fit perfectly also with the extension for 18650's.

I have adopted this holster and the Maxpedition Universal Sheath.

Greetings from Italy

jkl/klm

dscf4799.jpg

dscf4800a.jpg

dscf4801.jpg

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey JKL thats a nice holster where is the best place to order one. As to the flickering, tonight I seen two more M30's so now I have seen four total and me and nobody else I have been around can see any flickering in any mode using 3xcr123 or 18650's.

BTW does the tailcap fit easily into the Vega holster or do you need to struggle any.

JKL

Enlightened
Hey JKL thats a nice holster where is the best place to order one. ....
BTW does the tailcap fit easily into the Vega holster or do you need to struggle any.

Hi Jhc,

the tailcap fit very easily into the holster , no problem.

I sent you a Personal Message, please check .
icon14.gif

Item: 2P65 "Cordura expandable 21" baton holder".

dscf4806.jpg

In order to fit it perfectly could be better remove the strike bezel.

dscf4802.jpg

At any rate I like the configuration with AW 18500 batteries without extension.

dscf4773y.jpg

jkl/klm

:cool:

Last edited:

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
This is the Ultrafire holster I keep mentioning, I accidently bought this for another light, but it did not fit. However it does fit the M30 extremely well in either configuration. It does have a piece of nylon covering the buttons internally so it will not scratch the light. I have NO affiliation with dealextreme.com in fact they suck in general but this a great holster for the M30. So dont get mad at me CPF moderators just letting the good people know of a solid holster for this awesome light! http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4517

easilyled

Flashaholic
This is the Ultrafire holster I keep mentioning, I accidently bought this for another light, but it did not fit. However it does fit the M30 extremely well in either configuration. It does have a piece of nylon covering the buttons internally so it will not scratch the light. I have NO affiliation with dealextreme.com in fact they suck in general but this a great holster for the M30. So dont get mad at me CPF moderators just letting the good people know of a solid holster for this awesome light! http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4517

Ok thanks I just ordered one.

Better be good or I'll hold you personally responsible. :poke:

j/k

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Good info on the holsters, thanks for sharing everyone. :)

I personally like a solid holster myself. The included belt holster works reasonably well if your belt fits through the sleeve in the back. I find that dangling the light and hoslter by the clip (i.e. attached to a loop on the your jeans) doesn't work too well.

The Stallion half-holster for the Inova T4/T5 works ok, but it does require some force to get past the flaired tailcap on the M30. It's available from batteryjunction (also fits most "thrower" lights).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The last of the runtimes has just been added, finally did the 4xCR123A (Duracell):

M30-Runtimes.gif

(hit your browser re-load button if you don't see it).

Interesting that the time to 50% is the same, but light now exhibits a full regulation pattern (and hence has more output for a longer time). Goes to show you why you need to look at the graphs and not just rely on one time point, like time to 50%.

I haven't done 4xCR123A runtimes on the other other MC-E lights yet (these Duracells are rather expensive :broke:). But the M30 on Max was one of the best performers on 3xCR123A, so I imagine that pattern will hold.

A pity that the efficiency of the M30 Med mode is lower than the competition. Based on RCR results posted earlier, it seems like the continuously-variable JetBeam M1X is at least 2.5X more efficient when matched to the same output. And of course, current-controlled lights like the Lumapower MVP are far more efficient than PWM-based lights at these drive levels.

JKL

Enlightened
Very useful !

The performances of the batteries 18650 and 18500 are very interesting .

Even if surely M30 Med mode is lower than the competition, at any rate
considering the good compromise between portability and efficiency,
the runtime of 18500's on med should be equally valid .

Thanks once again for another great review!
icon14.gif

jkl/klm

wink2.gif

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
If you really want to pursue this further, stand in front of a mirror (the reflective surface of a window will also do nicely). Turn the lights off and turn the flashlight on low or medium. Do not move the flashlight. Instead, rapidly pan your eyes left and right. If you still don't see any strobe effect (trail of images), then you are truly blessed with a remarkable ability.

If you do see the trail of multiple images, try a change of scenery. Go to your (dark) kitchen. Shine the flashlight on some shiny surfaces (stove, cutlery, pots, glasses, etc.). Again, rapidly pan your eyes left and right. You'll see the same sort of multiple trails, but to a lesser degree than the beam in the mirror. That's because the reflected points of light are not as bright. That's sort of what happens with the M30 in actual use. If you rapidly shift your vision, there's a subtle trail of images in your peripheral vision.

An object crossing your field of vision or the flashlight beam waving to and fro are the two ways most users tend to think of the PWM effect. However, in my opinion, the more common occurence is when objects are stationery and the flashlight beam is relatively steady. It's our eyes shifting attention left-right/forward-back that precipitates the effect. That is what the kitchen example above illustrates: fixed beam, fixed objects, changing focus.

The faster you shift your direction of focus, the longer your eyes have been in the dark to sensitize your nightvision, the darker the ambient conditions (thereby increasing contrast), and the greater the relative brightness of the object in periphery (size, reflectivity, distance); the greater the perceived effect.
The above was posted in one of the main M30 discussion threads by 1dash1, and I thought I would quote it here since it's an excellent summary of the issues around perception of PWM. :)

I would just add that you don't have to be consciously looking for PWM by intentionally moving your eyes around. Although you are unaware of it, your eyes are constantly darting all over the place to help fill in your mental map of what you are seeing (known as saccades). In much the same way as your world doesn't go dark every time you blink, your mental image of what you think you are seeing stays constant as your eyes move. This is where I find ~100 Hz PWM most notable - as a "freeze-frame" effect in my peripheral vision.

There's a good description of the basic physiological phenomenon of saccadic eye movements on wiki.

Ultimately, I don't think much good comes from the endless back-and-forths going on in some of the other threads, especially those with extreme viewpoints (i.e. "I-don't-see-it-so-everyone-else-must-be-imagining-things" vs "I-see-it-so-you-must-be-blind-if-you-don't"). :shakehead

The simple empirical fact is that unlike the other MC-E and P7 lights I've tested so far, PWM is present on the M30, and at a frequency that is generally perceivable by the human eye/brain (~100 Hz). Whether or not this bothers you is all that should matter.

If you are concerned by such things, and plan to use the light on Lo or Med, then I suggest you consider competing lights that are current-controlled or that use undetectable PWM. If it is not an issue for you, then there is no need to worry about it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for those runtimes selfbuilt I was curious of the 18500 vs. 18650. I think its time for me to get some 18500 so don't have to use the extender tube. It appears also that 3xCR123 is only regulated for about 15mins. It seems if one wants to use CR123 the only way to go is x4.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for those runtimes selfbuilt I was curious of the 18500 vs. 18650. I think its time for me to get some 18500 so don't have to use the extender tube. It appears also that 3xCR123 is only regulated for about 15mins. It seems if one wants to use CR123 the only way to go is x4.
Yup, I picked up 18500s for the same reason - they are a great way to get the best output and runtime in the base model M30 (and in a safer 2x format). I still think this 3x-4x length of the M30 (and JetBeam M1X) is a good overall balance, especially with 2x18500 support.

And I've glad I did the runtimes on 4xCR123A - good to see that solid regulation there on max with M30.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
is there any chance youll do another cr123 run while on medium mode?
Sorry, no, - but given the similarity to 2x18650 for total capacity, you can get a pretty good estimate from the 2x18650 Med run (i.e. I'd guess somewhere around 8 hours for 4xCR123A).

Note that I am doing runtimes of some of the other lights that have a similar output level to the M30 on Med (i.e. JetBeam M1X on ~15% and the Eagletac M2XC4 on Lo). Those comparison results will be posted in my upcoming M2XC4 review and eventual MC-E round-up review.

SnakeEyes20

Newly Enlightened
is there any way of putting the m30 tailcap on to the m20? does anyone offer the tailcap similar to that to put on the m20?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that simple; on the M30 there is circuitry in both the tailcap and in the bezel of the light. To have an M20 work like that it would have to be a purposebuilt version - always a possibility in the future.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
is there any way of putting the m30 tailcap on to the m20? does anyone offer the tailcap similar to that to put on the m20?
As Matt pointed out, the M20 circuitry is not designed to accept the additional circuitry of the M30 tailcap. I would recommend people don't experiment with this, as there is the potential to damage one or the other circuits.

Latest posts