Olight M30 Triton Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
now i wanted to ask if i could use a copy of your preview.
of course i but your name as first and really big! :twothumbs and a link to the source!
this would be really cool.???:thumbsup::twothumbs;)
Thanks for checking with me first. I am glad you enjoy the review, but I do not give permission to anyone to reproduce my review text on other sites.

But of course, please feel free to link to review here. :thumbsup:

As the content copyright holder, my intention is to keep CPF as the sole repository for the reviews - and all the discussions which ensue. I actually think the discussions are an incredibly valuable resource, which is why I post my reviews here and not on a separate website. I also periodically update and revise the reviews, so don't want various versions of my text floating around out there.

I appreciate the support - but I think a link to CPF is the best way to go.

Quick Witted

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the M30 because of the great review here. I have not been disappointed by the light or the performance. It is unbelievably bright and lights up a huge area when compared to other flashlights I work around all the time.

The PWM does not bother me when in normal use, and I use each of the settings as needed.

It does affect pictures with digital cameras on low and medium settings. I was taking high detailed photographs and the lower light settings could be seen on the digital image of the camera. I had to have the flashlight on high and further away from the primary object to get the camera shots I needed. The photos were close-ups.

Other than using it as an alternate light source for digital photography, which has been the only slight hiccup with the light, I am thoroughly impressed with the light over all.

I am a flashlight novice and a digital photography novice as well. I am sure there is probably a better light for close up photos, but the M30 is a great light and I adapted the angle to get it to work just fine.

(When I get the money, I will get an M20 with the same interface)

viciousGLOCK40

Newly Enlightened
The runtime on 2x18650s is what made me stop using this light. I was only getting 35 min max. The dealer lives about 10 min away from my house and I have met with him several times, he has been great to me. I had problems with noise from the circuitry in the M30. I am a police officer and the high pitched dog whistle type sound was distracting at work. The dealer gave me a completely new light. Next, I had the problems with runtime. He gave me free CR123s and a total of (4) 18650s. I have had the light for almost 2 years now and harldy use it. All batteries have been cycled multiple times with the same result.

I use a Pelican 8060 as my primary light so I can tuck it under my arm while talking to people. This light is awesome all around. Our K9 took it out of my hand and chewed on it..it still works great with no serious marks on it. I always throw it back in the car, knock on doors etc... I'll buy another if need be.

I am now in the market for a Surefire R1 Lawman. This will be used for general everyday use for hopefully years and years to come. I just need to find a good deal

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The runtime on 2x18650s is what made me stop using this light. I was only getting 35 min max.

Something is definitely wrong with that light or the batteries - you should be getting three times that runtime, even on the lower capacity 18650s (more like four times with modern 18650).

In any case, this review is three years old now (time flies!), and there are much better lights on the market now for LEO work. If you check out my chronological list of reviews, and look at the Searchlights and the CR123A/18650 categories, you'll see dozens of newer lights tested since the M30.

Last edited:

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
I have been using my M30 for several years, I run it in the 2 x 18500 configuration and I usually get heaps of run time (well in excess of 1/2 hour) on high, I have never have had any noise from the circuitry. I still love using it with the diffuser lens. Whilst I now have many other bigger brighter lights including a SR90 this is still my favorite light for giving various night navigation briefs and training. It lives with my training gear and I have no intention of replacing it for its current role.

viciousGLOCK40

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt, I have hi cap li ions that the dealer gave me. I just got my SF R1 Lawman so i'm selling the M30. Im not buying another olight or any other lights for a long time now...i have plenty quality duty lights. I went through 4 different sets of batteries, 2 different chargers and had several m30s...it just wasnt working out so I went with SureFire.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone still using thier M30 ? ive always wanted one and i know they are old hat but im still thinking of giving it a try ? I have a M22, M20sxl2, M20sxpg2 i think i might be able to rotate it somewhere in there .........

walterr839

Enlightened
I have one in the entryway and use all the time. Mostly with the diffuser around the house. It was my first serious LED light

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one in the entryway and use all the time. Mostly with the diffuser around the house. It was my first serious LED light

Do you have something that others or on paper is 'better' but still grab the M30 ?

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Yes I am still using my M30.
It is the only light I have that can use the 6 x (3 x pairs) 18500 batts that I have. I like to use it in the short format.
Batteries aside this light lives in one of my BOB bags with one spare set of batteries.
I often use this light when instructing and often use the diffuser to provide more than adequate light for numerous scenarios.

One of my work colleagues also bought one and I know he still regularly uses it when out walking his dogs.

I to also have many other lights but this one is still earning is keep.
I have even lent it out a few times and it has always come back with very impressed "newbies" to the world of illumination :thumbsup:

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Mine rides in my truck door pocket loaded with two 18650s. Seen plenty of hard use and still ready for more.
Billy

walterr839

Enlightened
I too like to run short mode with 18500's. It feels nice in my hand. It stands next to a Vinh modded TK 70.
I wish the mode switch was near the head rather than the tail

Climb14er

Enlightened
Is anyone still using thier M30 ? ive always wanted one and i know they are old hat but im still thinking of giving it a try ? I have a M22, M20sxl2, M20sxpg2 i think i might be able to rotate it somewhere in there .........

I came across this review when one of my good friends saw this light at my house and I forwarded it to him.

This light is STILL my primary bedside light, backed up by a ZL SC600. I share this with the forum because 'older technology' still works VERY WELL! Fresh 18650 batteries are always in this light and when I travel on the road, I take this light along with the SC600 and a personal SC52.

Like I said, 'older tech' still works as well ... now... just as the day I bought it.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Yes still using my M30.
It lives in the top pocket of my Kifaru XRay (Gen1).
I still have 3 x pairs of 18500 batts and use the M30 in the short format.
1 x pair of batts in service - 1 x pair spare in my bag and 1 x pair at home. All batts still performing well and holding charge etc after 7 years?
I still often use my M30 with the diffuser for delivering navigation briefings & lessons in the field.
Occasionally I still use as a thrower but I must admit I now have other lights that throw much further.
I have no reason to think that I will be replacing it any time soon.
Cheers