Olight S10 Baton (XM-L, 1xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight S10 Baton (XM-L, 1xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and

I took mine apart and compared with and without lens. Seemed like where most of that funny tint is coming from to me. Would love to find a lens that just lets the natural light out of this little beauty! I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me will point us in the right direction for a replacement, as far as size, coating, material, etc.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight S10 Baton (XM-L, 1xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and

^ Well, if you have a ruler handy just measure your lens. Someone already pointed out "flashlightlens.com".

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened

^ Well, if you have a ruler handy just measure your lens. Someone already pointed out "flashlightlens.com".
Gotcha, I just know nothing about the different coatings and materials. Any help would be appreciated.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

^ Basically, you want an anti-reflective coating, preferably both sides. There's different types of glass available. UCL is recognized as one of the best. You can also go with polymer/plastic, for better shatter resistance but more scratch prone.

Sapphire would be the best, but it's extremely expensive (hence why you tend to find them only in the more expensive custom flashlights).

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight S10 Baton (XM-L, 1xCR123A/RCR)

^ Basically, you want an anti-reflective coating, preferably both sides. There's different types of glass available. UCL is recognized as one of the best. You can also go with polymer/plastic, for better shatter resistance but more scratch prone.

Sapphire would be the best, but it's extremely expensive (hence why you tend to find them only in the more expensive custom flashlights).

BUT, how do we know if the anti-reflective coatings on the new lens will be any different than what's on the stock S10 lens? My S10 tint sure looks better without the lens. With the lens, it's a yellowish/greenish tint. Without the lens, it's basically white.

I measured the lens on my S10 and its 19mm diameter. It was thicker than 1mm but not 2mm, so I'm guessing 1.5mm thick.

Sent from my Samsung GT 2 7.0 using Tapatalk 2.

edit: I guess the dimensions don't matter since there is no UCL that is 19mm. Oh well, it was nice dreaming of a white light coming out of my S10 instead of the puke yellow.

Last edited:

AmperSand

Enlightened
Olight S10 Baton (XM-L, 1xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and mo

I'd take a lens with no coating over the standard over-AR coated lens TBH.
The thing to consider is if it is altering the tint so dramatically could there also be a lumen loss associated with that anyway? Does that then render the purpose of the AR coating useless by introducing tint altering losses while eliminating reflective losses?
I'm using a thrunite archer 1c lens in mine and the fit is fine, and fixes the colour issues. (I believe it has a far less obtrusive AR coating)

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

BUT, how do we know if the anti-reflective coatings on the new lens will be any different than what's on the stock S10 lens? My S10 tint sure looks better without the lens. With the lens, it's a yellowish/greenish tint. Without the lens, it's basically white. I measured the lens on my S10 and its 19mm diameter. It was thicker than 1mm but not 2mm, so I'm guessing 1.5mm thick.
Flashlightlens has an excellent reputation, so I'd trust that the tint will be mostly neutral. But anyway, I didn't know that the S10 lens is 19mm... you're right, that size isn't available through Flashlightlens. There are other channels, though. I just did a quick Google search and found one at Kai Domain (19mm X 1.5mm). Or perhaps Thrunite sells spare lenses for the Archer 1C.

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened

2d44ef.jpg

Olight S10 with XM-L2 T6 3C. Guess what! The tint is almost as bas as before. Now it's yellow and ugly. The lens is not the stock one though. Somebody here with a NW stock S10 named this tint "cat **** like". Same here. I have the same XM-L2 T6 3C in my Xeno E03 and it's completely different. The Xeno looks almost cool compared to the S10 and even more to a Eagletac D25A T6 NW 4300K which is really warm and orange. But in the Xeno it's a really nice NW.

Without lens the tint of the S10 is still bad, even with the lens of the Xeno there is no noticeable difference. There must be something wrong with this light. :duh2:

sticktodrum

Enlightened

Well, I went ahead and tried some lens swapping on my S10's. I have a standard and two Ti neutrals. Both the neutrals are greenish, but one more prominently than the other. I took the lens of the Ti first, and tried the light out on a white wall. I have no beamshots now, but it was a night and day difference. I also had it shining on the wall and moved the lens over the beam to see it change from white to green. I put the lens down on the table and saw a very obvious purple hue from the reflections kicking off of it.

I then took the lens from my standard S10, and aid it down next to the Ti's lens. No purple hue or much of a reflection. I popped that lens onto the Ti light and it was a pretty noticeable difference. Not entirely white, but most of the green was gone from the low and medium modes. The Ti's lens added a nice cat **** tone to my standard S10. So, as of now, that's what I'm running in the Ti light, and the standard S10 is resting in a the drawer.

I saw on Flashlightlens.com that they will custom cut hard coated acrylic lenses, so I sent them an email about it with the dimensions of the lens. If they can cut that size, then I'll see what the pricing is and perhaps pick up a decent batch if it'll help any of you guys out. I'm unsure of their pricing structure for an order like that, but we'll see.

I also ordered the 19mm x 1.5mm lens from Kai Domain after finding it myself through a Google search. They were cheap enough, so I ordered a couple. I'll also see how that turns out.

I'm contemplating ordering a couple more S10s to see how their lenses are....

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also ordered the 19mm x 1.5mm lens from Kai Domain after finding it myself through a Google search. They were cheap enough, so I ordered a couple. I'll also see how that turns out.

I'd definitely be interested in how these perform. Please update with your results after you try them.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

sticktodrum

Enlightened

Update I shall. I'm determined to get some decent tint out of this light if it kills me! The tint on my regular S10 with its stock lens is pretty much a perfect cool white, so I'm going to put that back on and just fiddle with the Ti S10.

That being said, I actually ordered three new S10's. I want to see the variation in the glass and try some combinations.

Bauer

Newly Enlightened

I replaced s10's green xml with a 219 and the color is great.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

My S10 has a 219 as well, and it's spot on.

My problem is: I carry it with my kays and one of them sliced up the rubber button! Has anyone else had this happen?

Robertesq1

Newly Enlightened

They are on sale at battery junction for $44 bucks is this good for a non tactical (hunting, not self-defense) weapon light? Are they more rugged than a Zebra light?

sticktodrum

Enlightened
I believe Amazon has them for $38 shipped at the moment. They're a great light, especially for the price. My standard S10 is perfect.

TronPlayer

Newly Enlightened
an emiter swap is realy easy on this light if u can solder and reflow a led.

step 1: get a pair pf needle nose pliers to unsrew the bezel. (wich is prety loose)
step 2: take a battery and push it in the battery tube till the lens pops out.
step 3: push the reflector back in with the battery to get the red o ring out
step 4: push out the "drop in" using the same methode as step 2.
step 5: unscrew the reflector and take out the anoying piece of black plastic (wich centers the led and is a pain to get back in) and unsolder the 2 wires from the pcb and take the pcb out.

hope this helps good luck

CrazyHighVoltage

I'm looking for a more warm tint on my S10 as well. I think I might try the LED swap, do you have any recommendations and a link to the LED you used? Also, how were lumens/runtimes affected?

EDIT: I was thinking of swapping for the Nichia 291 like the one found at illuminationsupply. How might this effect output and runtime?

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

My S10 has a 219 as well, and it's spot on.

My problem is: I carry it with my kays and one of them sliced up the rubber button! Has anyone else had this happen?

I tried a 219 in my S10, but found it too dim. Love the tint... but the 219 just doesn't output enough light for me.

I replaced the emitter in mine with a 5,000k NW XML2. I also replaced the lens with one that wasn't tinted yellow. The tint is much better now. It's still yellow, but much less so. I think part of the problem is that at 1.5 amps, there just isn't enough current to drive an XML or XML2 hard enough to get to the point where the tint looks pure white. Underdriven XMLs just have ugly tints.

I'm considering trying to mod my S10 into a triple 219. Checking the light, a 20mm Carclo TIR optic fits. It looks like a 20mm triple star would also fit if the edges were filed down a mm. I think I could also make a Nanjg 105c fit with a little filing. I have a spare one with custom programmed driver on it programmed for an electronic switch. I'd somehow need to get the driver onto the end of the pill and get the extra wire to the switch.

I think I can do it, but it would take some effort. I'm not sure I want to risk destroying my S10 though. It's not my EDC, but I do like the light. It's my favorite "hold in the mouth" light for use when doing hobby stuff.

I might buy an S15 and try the triple 219 mod on that. I assume the pill and head has the same dimensions.

dts71

Newly Enlightened

The tint is much better now. It's still yellow, but much less so. I think part of the problem is that at 1.5 amps, there just isn't enough current to drive an XML or XML2 hard enough to get to the point where the tint looks pure white. Underdriven XMLs just have ugly tints.

Thats the price we pay for all the unnecessary bashing of PWM. I'd prefer high frequency PWM and consistent color through the different modes.