Olight S10-L2 (S10 2013, XM-L2, 1xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

xcnick

Newly Enlightened
Now I must wrap it back up and wait for Christmas morning to play with it again.
Geoff

I will keep playing until the last minuet before wrapping it back up to see what will break.

I know this about the flashlight, but I also got the diffuser or traffic wand as they call it. It cracked the first day. A review on battery juction mentioned his cracked so I am obviously not the first. Searching other threads I saw mention of another brand that might work. Has anyone tried this one?

http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...er-for-flashlights-23mm-inner-diameter-p-4442

I guess manafont is a dealextreme or kai type store. I have never order from them, anybody else?

Direct to moonlight and the diffuser is the greatest thing since sliced bread for a motivational speaker who lives in a van down by the river (or Wal-mart). I have a small army of lights and this is the best EDC for me. It is as if they tried to add everything anybody ever posted and I like all of it. :D

Mine came with the new reflector too.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I will keep playing until the last minuet before wrapping it back up to see what will break.

I know this about the flashlight, but I also got the diffuser or traffic wand as they call it. It cracked the first day. A review on battery juction mentioned his cracked so I am obviously not the first. Searching other threads I saw mention of another brand that might work. Has anyone tried this one?

http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...er-for-flashlights-23mm-inner-diameter-p-4442

I guess manafont is a dealextreme or kai type store. I have never order from them, anybody else?

Direct to moonlight and the diffuser is the greatest thing since sliced bread for a motivational speaker who lives in a van down by the river (or Wal-mart). I have a small army of lights and this is the best EDC for me. It is as if they tried to add everything anybody ever posted and I like all of it. :D

Mine came with the new reflector too.

Mine traffic wand also got cracked within a few days of use,so you are not the first user to experience this! I have both the traffic wand and the filter for my S20-L2. My traffic wand even had small cracks right out of the box. The filter that i have got cracked in half after i dropped the flashlight to the woodfloor. These acessories are of low quality! The plastic is to thin to be durable to impacts. The diffuser tips for example from Fenix is made of thicker plastic and are more durable.

The diffuser showed in the link you posted are of the same inner diameter(23mm) as the S10 and S20, so i think it will fit.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, sb!

I love mine. One of my best flashlight buys. I just wish the switch cover was a good quality GITD. The material they use is too dim and doesn't last long. But of course, in the new version they did away with it completely.

If there's one thing I really like about the new one, it's the instant high beam by double clicking from OFF. VERY nice and intuitive.

caucasion

Newly Enlightened
awesome review! i ended up purchasing the M10 due to having a need for the rear tail cap switch, but will be purchasing the s10 as a "throwdown" light shortly :thumbsup:

xcnick

Newly Enlightened
It is as if they tried to add everything anybody ever posted and I like all of it.

Yes, I said that. However after opening my Christmas present I did talk about one more thing.

I had to wrap up an old Fenix diffuser I hogged out to 23 mm to include in package because as mentioned the Olight one was broken before I could even wrap it. While showing off how it worked I came up with what I really wanted in a diffuser.

The suggestion is a diffuser that could fit over the back of the light when not in use. Something shaped more like a chapstick cap that fit over both ends. Genius? or just one more idiotic suggestion the manufacturers should ignore.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light to me seems to be one of the best EDC's ever. Side switch, (which I love), simple UI, quality build and very small and powerful. Good stuff!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I agree with all you said, Gene. Now that I've unwrapped this present to myself it's been spending a lot of time in the pocket.

Geoff

Capolini

Banned
It is a very nice, petite and powerful torch!

I just wish they would have kept the "Low Battery Indicator" from the original! It bothers me that the light will just shut off and I am always wondering what the Voltage is!! So I test it several times.

HJK told me that the battery will not last as long if it keeps using its protection.

I bought the S20 also because that torch RETAINED its Low Battery indicator". Plus I like 18650 batteries much better for several reasons.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I just wish they would have kept the "Low Battery Indicator" from the original! It bothers me that the light will just shut off and I am always wondering what the Voltage is!! So I test it several times.
There was no low voltage readout on the original S10 - only the S20 (which is maintained in the 2013 version).

HJK told me that the battery will not last as long if it keeps using its protection.
Yes, it is not good to repeatedly run a cell down to the level where the protection circuit kicks in. I would recommend you periodically stop and recharge - that's what I do with all my EDC lights on rotation.

Capolini

Banned
There was no low voltage readout on the original S10 - only the S20 (which is maintained in the 2013 version).

Yes, it is not good to repeatedly run a cell down to the level where the protection circuit kicks in. I would recommend you periodically stop and recharge - that's what I do with all my EDC lights on rotation.

I mixed them up!! :shrug: Thanks for clarifying that SB.:)

I wish the S10 was like the S20 in regards to a "Low battery/voltage indicator"!

I only use the light around the house[inside and last dog break b/4 bed!]. I am constantly checking the voltage!! I usually charge it b/w 3.5v and 3.7v. I have charged the battery about 20 times[less than a month of use] and the protection shut it off twice!

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with all you said, Gene. Now that I've unwrapped this present to myself it's been spending a lot of time in the pocket.

Geoff

Funny Geoff because that's exactly what I did too. It hasn't arrived yet, but the S10 was MY Christmas present to ME! :)

n00blumen

Newly Enlightened
Just got this light for Christmas it's perfect EDC light for me.:D As my name states I'm new to this flashlight world. Anyone try the color filters on this yet? I work outside at night.

Also I'm seeing that the aw rcr123 black protected batteries are the best way to go, that true?

Sorry for the stupid questions it's a bit over whelming reading all these posts.

Capolini

Banned
Just got this light for Christmas it's perfect EDC light for me.:D As my name states I'm new to this flashlight world. Anyone try the color filters on this yet? I work outside at night.

Also I'm seeing that the aw rcr123 black protected batteries are the best way to go, that true?

Sorry for the stupid questions it's a bit over whelming reading all these posts.

Welcome!!!! :)

AW is a good battery. I am using a Nitecore NL166. From what I remember as far as RCR/16340 Batteries go the Nitecore and AW batteries fit best for this light. There was another type someone from Europe mentioned, I can't remember it!

Anyway , Selfbuilt[flashlight reviewer] uses AW. It is a shorter battery and good quality so you can not go wrong!

In regards to the "color filters", I have no experience with that.

There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on here who will certainly chime in and give you suggestions!

n00blumen

Newly Enlightened
Welcome!!!! :)

AW is a good battery. I am using a Nitecore NL166. From what I remember as far as RCR/16340 Batteries go the Nitecore and AW batteries fit best for this light. There was another type someone from Europe mentioned, I can't remember it!

Anyway , Selfbuilt[flashlight reviewer] uses AW. It is a shorter battery and good quality so you can not go wrong!

In regards to the "color filters", I have no experience with that.

There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on here who will certainly chime in and give you suggestions!
Thanks for the fast reply! I think I'll be trying the aw ones. I only need 2-3 spares just in case.
I noticed something else interesting everyone on these reviews shows their s10 having a reflector with an orange peel like finish and mine is completely smooth in there.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Thanks for the fast reply! I think I'll be trying the aw ones. I only need 2-3 spares just in case.
I noticed something else interesting everyone on these reviews shows their s10 having a reflector with an orange peel like finish and mine is completely smooth in there.

The color filters/diffusers are available in four colors, white,red,green and blue and fits the S10,S20,M10 and M18. I have the white diffuser and it spreads the beam wider beuatifuly and makes the light softer to the eyes. If you work outside at night i think you will find the filters very useful. For ordinary use when preservation of nightvision is not a priority the white is great,but if you have to preseve your nightvision you should try the red filter.I have the traffic wand as well.

However, a little word of caution regarding these accessories is that they are not solid build.

015_zps7db33a0c.jpg

The traffic wand scattered after a few days of use, and the filter cracked in half after i dropped in on the floor while attached to my S20-L2. I did receive replacement new ones from my dealer, but they are a bit fragile so know. I have filters and wands from other manufacturers that are made of thicker plastic and more solid that has not cracked like the Olights.

Regarding the OP reflector that was standard on all S10 and S20, Olight has now made a design change and they now come with smooth reflectors. Both my old S20 and my S20-L2 has the OP reflector, so i can´t do any comparsion between the beams of the OP vs the SMO reflector. The OP reflector should give a little more flood, while the SMO reflector should give a little better throw.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Great review - helpful for me in helping me determine that I should probably invest in a different light. The Olight S10 appears to be a fantastic light and a great value compared to other similar lights, as many have commented. I would love the tiny size. However, for my use, it is more useful to have a lower "high" light output level that has a longer runtime. Having a burst of 400 lumens for a few minutes is less useful to me than a longer runtime of a lower output level. I would also benefit from having light levels a tad more spread out -say 250 or 200 for high, 100 for medium, 50 or 40 or 30 for low and 5 or lower for low-low, if possible.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just received my S10-L2 a couple of days ago. It's a neat little light but there is a slight green tint in ALL modes. It's not horribly green but you can definitely see it.

Capolini

Banned
Well, I just received my S10-L2 a couple of days ago. It's a neat little light but there is a slight green tint in ALL modes. It's not horribly green but you can definitely see it.
I have the S10-L2 and the S20-L2 and they both have a "Yellowish" tint. My other Olights[M22 and MX3] are a cool white which is my favorite.

It is a neat little torch. I am starting to get use to the tint,,,,,,my only complaint is I wish it had a low battery indicator like the S20!

Overall, I am glad I have both of them!