Olight S20-L2 (S20 2013, XM-L2, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

tvsinesperanto

Newly Enlightened
Manufacturer Reported Specifications:

• Dimensions: Length: 3.4" (86 mm), Diameter: 0.9" (23 mm)

Just a heads up, I believe that this is a typo, the actual length listed on the Olight site is 107mm. 86mm is the length of the S10.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just a heads up, I believe that this is a typo, the actual length listed on the Olight site is 107mm. 86mm is the length of the S10.
Yes, it was never accurate. But it is what they reported at the time of the review, so it's what went into that section. Since they seem to have updated it on their site, I'll amend the mfr spec section.

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight S20-L2 (S20 2013, XM-L2, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS...

Got this light a few days ago. It has replaced my Jetbeam PC10 as my nightstand / EDC. Not much bigger but I really like the electronic switch and the UI. It has plenty of floody output. I got some Panasonic 18650 3400MA batteries from China. They will go in but I am afraid to push them in all the way as they may get stuck. Nitecore 3100 fit nicely.

Charles L.

Enlightened
Re: Olight S20-L2 (S20 2013, XM-L2, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS...

My first new light in a few years. Wow! Technology does evolve quickly. Loving the size, floody light and runtime. The magnet is keeping it fixed over my desk as I type.

Orbtronic 3400's barely fit -- a bit too tight for my comfort level.

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
Wow? Amazing review, I have two coming Wednesday.....even more anxious to try them out now.

Thanks for your time and effort in putting this together.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
The center of the push button has fallen out making the switch difficult to use. I have the older model with the soft white push button. Has anyone replaced their push button with the up graded cover ?
Billy

Capolini

Banned

My first new light in a few years. Wow! Technology does evolve quickly. Loving the size, floody light and runtime. The magnet is keeping it fixed over my desk as I type.

Orbtronic 3400's barely fit -- a bit too tight for my comfort level.

I used E'tac. AW is also a shorter battery that works well.

I know what you mean,the Orbtronic stick out of the tube a bit far!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also planning to get this light as well, but does it come in a OP reflector

Mine arrived yesterday and it has the smooth reflector and not OP. Mine unfortunately has the green tint like the S10 and again, in ALL modes. It's not as pronounced as my S10 but it's definitely there. Maybe my eyes perceive green more than others. You folks that have beams in your S10/S20's that are pure white sure are lucky.

However, it's still a great light. I have small hands but for me, it's easier to manipulate than the S10. It just feels so right in-hand. I love the side switch, the simple UI and the magnet is so handy. With the longer runtime of the 18650, the larger size of the S20 over the S10 is well worth the trade-off but they're both very niice lights. Now, if I could only get rid of that green! :)

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Hi Gene which Cree emitter are you using in yours, regarding the greenish tint you don't think there is a fault with your Cree emitter.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the latest version with the XM-L2 emitter. No, a lot of folks have complained about the greenish tint. Some get white, some get greenish but most have reported the green only in the low modes. I've been unlucky as both my S10 and S20 have it in ALL modes. It's not terrible but it's definitely there.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
My S20-L2 has no trace of green, even in the low modes. Unfortunately, it's in my archive pile, because I can't deal with the accidental activation.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Well I've just bought two of these Olights, a S20 and a S15 one 500 lumens and the other 280 I think, with wait and see.

serikus

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I have a question about item. Anybody, who changed diod in this light, can you tell which is better? :) Thank you!

LuminousFluxCapacitor

Newly Enlightened
I have a question, something which is bugging me.

I've just bought the S20 L2. The box says 550 lumens, but the flashlight itself doesn't have the textured reflector and doesn't say XML-2, like all the photos of the S20 L2 suggest the 55 lumen version should have.

In use, I can't really say it's any brighter than my S10 L2, but then I'm not sure if I'd notice 150 lumens above 400 lumens. Any ideas? Thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've just bought the S20 L2. The box says 550 lumens, but the flashlight itself doesn't have the textured reflector and doesn't say XML-2, like all the photos of the S20 L2 suggest the 55 lumen version should have.
In use, I can't really say it's any brighter than my S10 L2, but then I'm not sure if I'd notice 150 lumens above 400 lumens. Any ideas? Thanks.
You won't see much of a difference in output, but it should be noticeable side-by-side.

The XM-L2 emitters are lacking the visible bond wires over the die surface. Compare the close-up pics in this review with the ones in the original S20 (which was XM-L). You should be able to see the difference on your light, to confirm that is is indeed the XM-L2. Reflectors can change over time.

LuminousFluxCapacitor

Newly Enlightened
You won't see much of a difference in output, but it should be noticeable side-by-side. The XM-L2 emitters are lacking the visible bond wires over the die surface. Compare the close-up pics in this review with the ones in the original S20 (which was XM-L). You should be able to see the difference on your light, to confirm that is is indeed the XM-L2. Reflectors can change over time.
Thanks, by looking at the photo, it appears to be the XML2 emitter, no bond wires and white surround :)

cogwheel

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere yet, but I just received a S20-L2 from GoingGear, and the button is the same as the newer S20R: it isn't raised (so it won't be accidentally pressed as easily in a pocket), has the battery low light as a dot in the center instead of a ring near the edge, and is textured with concentric ridges.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere yet, but I just received a S20-L2 from GoingGear, and the button is the same as the newer S20R: it isn't raised (so it won't be accidentally pressed as easily in a pocket), has the battery low light as a dot in the center instead of a ring near the edge, and is textured with concentric ridges.
Good to know, thanks for the update.

Big_Sam

Newly Enlightened
Just a note for interest,

Tested my S20-l2 with an AW 18650, and the low voltage red light comes on at 3.20 volts.