Olight SR Mini (3xXM-L2, 3x18650/6xCR123A) Flood light review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES+

Karre

Newly Enlightened
Just got this one. A bit late maybe but found one at 25% off.
Has anyone done any mod to get more throw?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again a bit late thanks to you Selfbuilt for the review!

I have considered this light even if I don't really need it. But I have the SR52UT and I can use the same battery set up. So suddenly a swedish store now offers it at a 50% sale! That was too good to not grab the chance so I ordered it!
I guess I will not get the new updated version but for this price it's still a bargain!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I guess I will not get the new updated version but for this price it's still a bargain!
Yes, I have the new mark II version on hand for testing. Still a bit behind in getting reviews done, but I don't imagine performance will be all that different. The new version does feature in-light charging though.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received the light. I was surprised because my sample has not the hard plastic button with a LED under, but the rubber switch, the same as with SR52UT. There is no USB port, however. I thought I would get the same plastic switch as in this review. My light came in a paper box and not in a transparent plastic box. My package includes no raised profile steel bezel.

At first when I tried the light I thought I had only two modes. But when I measured ceiling bounce with the light meter I saw that it was three modes plus the momentary turbo. The reason it's not easy to see the difference is that the brightness change with the dubble click function does not occur instantly but with a short interrupt. I have noticed this before with other lights: it can be hard to notice a brightness increase if there is a short interrupt between. But if the change occurs instantly I can easy notice a very small difference(like with SR52 or when going to turbo with this light)

The mid mode is exactly twice as bright as the low mode and the high mode is almost twice as bright as mid mode. Then the turbo is twice of high mode. At turbo it's definitely the brightest light I have ever tried until now, even higher output than Thrunite TN35.
The tint is a bit too cool for my taste, but there is no nasty greenish or bluish in it so it's not a problem at all.

What else to say? I am definitely satisfied with the SR mini I got at 50% sale!

Addition:
Actually I suspect my SR mini with the rubber switch uses the new brighter LEDs despite it lacks USB port and the specs at the box shows 2800lm. During long time I have measured ceiling bounce lux of many lights with a stated ANSI FL1 brightness. Then I have got that 1lux of my light meter corresponds to 16lm. With many lights this is practically 100% right! And with my SR mini the lux numbers will be approximately: 25, 50, 95 and 200lux. Multiplicated with 16 it will be about 400, 800, 1500 and 3200lm! Yes; this light really lacks a true low mode!
If I could change the constant on modes of this lights I had chosen following levels: 10, 100, 500 and 1500lm. Then the difference between the levels had been more noticable than it is now.

Of course I can't claim that this is 100% reliable, but interesting anyway. Looking forward to see your light box measuring of the mark II version!

I went out this(saturday) night and here is a beamshot at turbomode:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Today I received the light. I was surprised because my sample has not the hard plastic button with a LED under, but the rubber switch, the same as with SR52UT. There is no USB port, however.
Interesting, sounds like you got some sort of intermediate version. Haven't put the new sample through its paces yet, but hope to get to it soon.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
After have been playing around with SR mini a while I want to say following: I like this a bit special flashlight. It does not look or feel like a typical flashlight but more like just a tube with light in one of the end. But it's just right in the hand, and the switch is on the right place. The tailstanding is excellent stable.

As I earlier mentioned I would like bigger difference between the low, mid and high. Still this isn't a very big issue. The low mode is very useful for most tasks and the ability to anytime, from on or off, going to turbomode is a good feature. Which is very addictive: it's hard to not regularly put on turbo. What an amazing amount of light! The huge hotspot covers entire buildings or trees at short distance, and with an impressive intensity even a bit further away. And the wide and gradually declining spill is very useful to see close around you but still not too dazzling on the foreground.

And: SR mini is the very first LED flashlight I have tried which becomes really hot from the beam. At turbo mode I can not stand the heat more than 3s when holding the hand against the front. And even at high mode it becomes too hot within 10s. Actually I burned a hole in a dark colored paper so it's obvious this light has the ability to start a bonfire if you needed!

Last edited: