Olight SR52 (XM-L2, 3x18650/6xCR123A) Rechargeable review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES+

daigiff

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a good holster for the SR52? I have just purchased the kit version which doesn't come with holster/lanyard.

Cheers
DaiGiff

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
Potential Issues

Flat-top cells cannot be used in the light, given the flat contacts in the head...

There was an intermittent contact issue early on with one well on my sample. This manifested as either reduced runtime (i.e., that well was not engaged on one runtime test), or reduced charging time (i.e., that well was not recharged on one 18650 charge cycle attempt). I have thoroughly cleaned all contact surfaces, and I have not seen a re-occurrence of the problem on the last half dozen or so runs or charge cycles.

Thanks for another GREAT review Selfbuilt! I keep my SR52 in my vehicle, for spotting house-numbers, etc, from the road.

I'm mainly writing to address the "intermittent contact issue" you encountered in your review. I've received three SR52's and the first two of the three would not work at all, even with Duracell CR123's - almost as Igloo2 experienced here. (btw, the SR52 will operate from the charger alone, even without batteries..)

After a lot of heartache, I figured out that the SR52 requires batteries that are AT-LEAST 68mm long! (and even two Duracell CR123's are shorter than that)

None of the three units I received thru 2/19/15 had the positive-terminal bump as displayed here, but that's a step in the right direction and I hope that Olight adapts for shorter batteries and uses beefier springs to avoid bad reviews regarding "contact issues".

Ultimately, I got my flat-top Panasonic 18650B's working by attaching two (2) 1/16 inch thick magnetic disks to each battery. (pm if you want to buy a few - I've got a bunch left-over ;-)

Other than that; the SR52 is a *fantastic* thrower!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Glad you enjoyed the review.

Ultimately, I got my flat-top Panasonic 18650B's working by attaching two (2) 1/16 inch thick magnetic disks to each battery.
Although magnets can indeed help bridge the contacts, they are not typically recommended (due to their ability to dislodge). Shouldn't be much of a risk in a light with a carrier like this. However, I definitely recommend against them in a single-cell light (i.e., if the battery shifts to the metal side wall, you can short the cell through the body).

But I agree, this is definitely a light where the tolerances can cause a problem for shorter cells. It's a good idea to stick with longer button-top protected 18650 batteries in the SR52.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several months of ownership of an SR52 on now and I have got to say that it is still one of the best LED light purchases I have ever made. The beam is so big and such a concentrated hot spot that using it even in medium mode in my neighborhood at night I find myself accidentally lighting up houses half way down the street. Last thing I need is the local cops at my door so the mighty SR52 only comes out on local roadtrips at night.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Several months of ownership of an SR52 on now and I have got to say that it is still one of the best LED light purchases I have ever made. The beam is so big and such a concentrated hot spot that using it even in medium mode in my neighborhood at night I find myself accidentally lighting up houses half way down the street. Last thing I need is the local cops at my door so the mighty SR52 only comes out on local roadtrips at night.
Yes, it is a great light - straightforward interface, and great beam.

I also find the same thing in my suburban environment - I very rarely have the opportunity to use the high mode on any of multi-cell lights. Portable lighting technology has come a long way in the last few years. :whistle:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
trying to learn how to take some SR52 beamshots with a cheap point and shoot. Should work just gotta find a way to clamp the SR52 to a tripod and find a good local spot that has enough range to really show off the SR52's amazing beam...without getting the cops called. Live in Northern Virginia amongst countless military and federal gvt workers. Someone here lit up a county police helicopter with a high powered flashlight and got busted so..hmm. The SR52 is good I wish I lived further out just so I could use it more.

Now the wait for my Javelot to show up from GG. I know it is a throw beast of a new breed but I still doubt the overall beam is as good as the SR52....we shall see

orbitalforest

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys , newbie here and to be honest very much a novice .
I'm interested in buying the Olight SR52 rechargeable but have a few questions .
Firstly do i have to buy rechargeable 18650's or does it automatically recharge normal ones ? And is it button top one's required ? Sounds daft but I've only ever used D dell batteries you see. Told you i was a novice !
Also would this be a significant improvement on my Maglite LED Pro 2D ?
I only use a torch for taking my dog for walks in Thetford Forest in the UK but really like having a decent torch ( or flashlight as most of you would call it i guess ! ) and i want a decent throw without having to pay over £100 if possible .
Any help or advice much appreciated .
icon7.gif

ven

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
:welcome:The sr52 quires 3x 18650 cells,ideally protected ones (pcb) panasonic/efest/keeppower etc are all good. Requires button tops on early models,some later iirc can take flat top. Do not try re-charging any other type of cells

Yes 18650 require recharging,please have a search on here on the safety side of use/charging. Its not brain surgery,just common sense basically. A good charger is as important as good cells,so xtart or nitecore would be a good/cheap option for back up if you wanted to charge extra cells whilst light is in use

I use efest 3400mah protected cells

All + end towards head

3 of

In hand size

Simple user friendly UI,just press and hold to advance through modes:)

Really is a great,well made light,nice size,good throw and usable spill..............pretty good dog walking light:thumbsup:

mine is modded by vinh,so a little current bump and de-domed

beam pic of mine(excuse poor pic)
close up

distant although sea mist

Certainly a light i would recommend,and the usb charge option is very handy.

Just make sure you buy cells/light from a reputable seller
Cells,message norb(owner of ecolux) for a price for 3 cells,may want 6 if want back up...........just a thought

Copy/paste in ebay search the item No
2 examples
Ebay-181539313275

Ebay-201233435847

If decide on a separate charger(would recommend as you may req if using or get more lights)
2 bay
Ebay-/361206496072
4 bay-361232516214

Please do read up,have a search,no need to go too in depth,just an understanding

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Firstly do i have to buy rechargeable 18650's or does it automatically recharge normal ones ? And is it button top one's required ? Sounds daft but I've only ever used D dell batteries you see.
:welcome:

As ven pointed out, you will need to buy your own 18650 batteries (protected recommended). While the SR52 has in-light charging, a stand-alone charger is a good idea. There are lots of threads in the "electronics (batteries included)" subforum here. HKJ in particular has provided tons of excellent reviews of batteries and chargers. Whatever you do, don't buy anything ending in xxxxfire as a battery brand.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot believe it has now been almost 3 years of ownership of the mighty SR52. Now with protected 3500mah GA cells it holds max output for seemingly ever. Got the UT version it is of course amazing but find myself still drawn more towards the XML2 original.

Latest posts