Olight SR90 Intimidator (Phlatlight SST-90) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES and more!

petersmith6

Enlightened
they could alway sell a seperat handle wich takes lose 18650 or an adapter jobby wich would let you run it of a 12volt cigeret lighter socket. that would alow for external replaceable power pack or indefinet runtimes

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
After spend half the morning to pay customs taxes, my new SR90 from 4sevens is here and is AWESOME, what a massive piece of aluminium, Olight has done a very nice beast :twothumbs

I'm speechless and waiting for the night.

It is as if it had no lens, it reflects nothing, i'm very impressed :huh:

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
or an adapter jobby wich would let you run it of a 12volt cigeret lighter socket. that would alow for external replaceable power pack or indefinet runtimes

That would also be a perfectly acceptable solution in my books :) (yes it would limit its use a bit, but it would still be good for spotlighting, and fixed camps (if you had a long enough lead, or ran it off a separate smaller 12v battery))

wolfy

Enlightened
I have purchased one recently, in a fit of torch addicted madness, and took it to my parents property. The light from the SR90 managed to touch some trees out around 600-700m away (winter dry clear air). I dont see it lighting anything further than that. I also recently got a Legion II SST-50, but it barely throws half that distance (nice light though).

An adapter to run it from a car 12v socket would be kinda cool.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SR90 does have a charging adapter for a 12V socket. I didn't try running it directly though. I suspect it wouldn't quite have enough juice to power the light without also depleting the battery a bit at the same time.

easilyled

Flashaholic
people keep saying how amazing the runtime is with the super high output. but are you forgeting its running on 6 18650 batteries?

I don't suppose anyone is forgetting. (Especially considering how big it is)
LEDs still haven't reached their full potential yet.
In a couple of years, there will be an led-flashlight with the same output and runtime on 3 18650s. Perhaps sooner.

The Olight SR90 should be regarded as a glimpse of things to come. It shows the potential of leds to be used not only for EDCs or general purpose lighting but even to encroach into HID territory.

They are not competing with high-power HIDs yet, but the SR90 shows that it is no longer the impossible feat that people used to think until very recently.

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
The SR90 does have a charging adapter for a 12V socket. I didn't try running it directly though. I suspect it wouldn't quite have enough juice to power the light without also depleting the battery a bit at the same time.

Came your SR90 with car charger???

HKJ

Flashaholic
Interesting ... mine didn't come with a car adapter. Don't recall seeing one in HKJ's review either, but I may have missed it.

You are correct, I did not get a car adapter either:
DSC_1036.jpg

Daylight

Newly Enlightened
I bought the SR90 in 4sevens too, but mine not came with car charger, what a mysterious:candle::candle:

Here you can see the car adapter in a separate plastic bag.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
So anyone else with first-hand experience of this light? :whistle:

I have long complained that LED lights can't throw because they can't turn off a street light? I always assumed it was because LED lights just put out light that was not in a spectrum capable of affecting the sensor for a street light.

I was wrong. They just don't throw enough lumen at a distance (i.e. a true thrower) to get the job done. My latest toy is the SR90, and it will easily turn off a street light. Finally, my quest for an LED thrower is over. I guess LED's have finally grown up.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I do not believe the L35 HID really throws twice as far - there are isolated "hot spots" within the irregular center of the HID's beam which the lux meter picks up at 5m. Over longer distances, I suspect you will find the throw difference is not as great as that, but I haven't tested that directly.

No, I don't think so eighter: When you want to throw twice as far, you need four times the candlepower ! According to your measurements, the L35 only has twice the candlepower output of the SR90.. So, in theory, the L35 has about 40% better throw..

And: Most people agree that the usable throwdistance is the distance at which 1 lux is measured.. Applying that to your measurements, the SR90 would reach 335 meters, the L35 would reach 475meters.
So, the 1000m throw claim is a bit exaggerated...

But it still is a great light!!

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

king2penn

Enlightened
i would be getting an olight sr90

in a few years time !:hitit:
by that time it will be worth the same as a fenix LD20

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine last month and was very impressed. I was surprised it doesn't run hot. The heat sinks do a good job keeping it cool. Thanks for a great review
lovecpf

z17813

Newly Enlightened
It's too big, it's too heavy, it's too expensive, I don't need it....

:mecry::mecry::mecry: that's just what I keep telling myself cause I want it sooo bad!!!!!

Seriously if I do end up getting one (which is likely as I have limited willpower) this will be the review that convinced me, great write up & awesome light

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see the SR91 is coming out - reduced output, reduced size and weight, and longer run time, but still in the same size and weight ball park as the SR90, i.e big and heavy.

In my opinion, if you're going to play in that ball park, you may as well go for the big gun - I did. I'm glad the SR90 came out first so that I didn't have to upgrade to it (very expensive proposition).