Olight SR90 Intimidator (Phlatlight SST-90) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES and more!

easilyled

Flashaholic
I see the SR91 is coming out - reduced output, reduced size and weight, and longer run time, but still in the same size and weight ball park as the SR90, i.e big and heavy.

In my opinion, if you're going to play in that ball park, you may as well go for the big gun - I did. I'm glad the SR90 came out first so that I didn't have to upgrade to it (very expensive proposition).

I couldn't agree with you more there. :thumbsup:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lot's of people have commented that they wished the SR90 was smaller. The SR90 cannot really be smaller so they came out with a different version....

IMO 1500L for 3 hours is pretty damned compelling in it's own right.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Lot's of people have commented that they wished the SR90 was smaller. The SR90 cannot really be smaller so they came out with a different version....

IMO 1500L for 3 hours is pretty damned compelling in it's own right.

It is and I'm certainly not knocking the SR91. :)

However I would personally have felt quite pissed if I'd bought the SR91 and then the SR90 came out, just like JimH said.

This way round, I don't feel so compelled to buy the SR91 because as far as I'm concerned, I have the king of led-lights, output-wise. (which is why I bought the SR90 in the first place)

I'm sure someone that doesn't have either light though could make a case for purchasing either model.

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
No, I don't think so eighter: When you want to throw twice as far, you need four times the candlepower ! According to your measurements, the L35 only has twice the candlepower output of the SR90.. So, in theory, the L35 has about 40% better throw..

And: Most people agree that the usable throwdistance is the distance at which 1 lux is measured.. Applying that to your measurements, the SR90 would reach 335 meters, the L35 would reach 475meters.
So, the 1000m throw claim is a bit exaggerated...

But it still is a great light!!

Regards,

Ra.

Ra

My SR90 HAS hit near-400m https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/280727.
However, my estimation could also be a tad inaccurate (I was shooting from an 18 story building on a mountain w/ rather steep slopes).

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra

My SR90 HAS hit near-400m https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/280727.
However, my estimation could also be a tad inaccurate (I was shooting from an 18 story building on a mountain w/ rather steep slopes).

That's possible, the different SR90's can have different CP outputs due to slight differences in quality.. And 400m is close enough to the theoretics to be possible..

Regards,

Ra.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
UPDATE: Some additional long-distance beamshots, to show you how the light compares to others in its class.

Please see my recent 100-yard Outdoor Beamshot review for more details (and additional lights).

Outdoor-JulyDaylight.jpg

1MCP-L35-SR90.gif

CatV2-SR90Lo-SR90Hi.gif

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, I'd be happy to compare them for Olight ... :whistle: ;)

:party: I can't wait to read it!

The SR90's battery pack can be disassembled by a knowledgable technician - of course I would never recommend it for a hobbyist who is not familiar with working with lithium ion batteries and does not have the proper equipment.

Does that mean it is completely beyond a layperson to accomplish, or just that some info and tools are needed beforehand?

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beyond a layperson? No.
Recommended? No.

A small amount of time doing research on internet forums does not, IMO, qualify a person to work on lithium ion battery pack disassembly, repair, replacement, etc.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having handled this one a bit myself, I'd have to agree. Not worth touching it unless you are an actual professional. One of the downfalls of proprietary battery designs. Of course there are plenty of upsides too, like just plugging the light in to charge it and having everything be well balanced and fully charged.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
My buddy came over tonight with his SR90 and was a bit upset, here is why.

He said he just picked it up turned it on and nothing, guess it happened when he had it on previously but he said he seen no warning, he just found the LED loose inside the the head. It also got some of the paste on the reflector so that is going to have to be changed out.

I will get in touch with 4sevens to see what we can do, he is going to look for the receipt tonight but he bought it like 4-6 months ago.

Edit- got it from 47's not BJ

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
hm............. Is that black holder aluminum or copper? It seems unlikely that a drop would cause a small piece of metal to dislodge and break the emitter off. Was that thermal epoxy on the heatsink or just thermal paste?
Oh, and how does anyone need to use such a :eek: light everyday :whistle:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its paste and he owns a large area of land and people like to use it as their own personal dump and to park like it's a holiday inn, if you know what I mean. He drives past nightly and does a bit of recon.

Watts Up!

Newly Enlightened
I'm still debating if I should get one of these or get a WiseLED Tactical instead:thinking: