Olight SR90 Intimidator (Phlatlight SST-90) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I got around to measure (and reviewing in Danish) the SR90 and checked the standby current, it is completely insignificant: Head 3uA, backend 3.8 uA, the battery could supply that current for more than 100 years, if it lasted that long.
Good to know - thanks for checking and reporting back here. :thumbsup:

And nice job on the review (all the pics look great, as always). I know everyone especially appreciates all your detailed technical evaluations (and your outdoor shots :)).

And interesting observation on the case (Danish post must be especially rough!). It definitely is not as high-end as one might hope of a light of this quality, but I suppose it's an understandable compromise to keep the cost down. Glad to see your light was ok!

Thanks HKJ, using "Google Translate" set on Danish to English, I was able to understand a very large part of your review. :)
Yes, I definitely recommend everyone give it a shot. :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Since most people seem to congregate here at your excellent reviews, Selfbuilt, do you mind if I also link to MY REVIEW?
By all means - the more the merrier! :party:

Nice write-up of your impressions (I also like the grassy background pics).

A bit of trivia - I see your shoulder strap has the same blue-thread stitched Olight insignia as mine, but HKJs has the more traditional red and white Olight colors. Personally, I prefer the more subdued blue color - not that the light doesn't garner more than enough attention on its own! :rolleyes:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Just to add a little insignificant info regarding the shoulder-strap attachment rings .....

They are definitely not brass. Mine were very slightly scuffed when I received the light so I smoothed down the flat edges that were accessible and the coating soon rubbed off to reveal silver underneath. Looks quite nice actually :)

So they probably are made of stainless steel.

AusKipper

Enlightened
The only problem with it, from my point of view, is the "propitiatory" battery pack. I tend to avoid any product with such a battery pack like the plague.

A few years down the track Olight may go bust, or the may stop making it, and then once the pack "wears out" (as they all do) i'm stuck with a very expensive paper weight :(

If they could make a pack in the future that enables me to put "regular" batteries in it (AA/CR123/18650, i dont care what) i would probably consider getting one, but for now my TK40 shall have to do.

Maybe 4Sevens will release a Maelstrom one day though.. lol

easilyled

Flashaholic
A few years down the track Olight may go bust, or the may stop making it, and then once the pack "wears out" (as they all do) i'm stuck with a very expensive paper weight :(

There are always ways round these situations. A battery pack of 6 18650s would not be difficult for one of CPF's battery experts to make up.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem with it, from my point of view, is the "propitiatory" battery pack. I tend to avoid any product with such a battery pack like the plague.

If they could make a pack in the future that enables me to put "regular" batteries in it (AA/CR123/18650, i dont care what) i would probably consider getting one, but for now my TK40 shall have to do.

The SR90 has a specially made pack for a number of very good reasons. As this has has already been discussed ad nauseum in other threads I'll not repeat myself and others here but the information is easily found.

I wonder though - do you have a laptop? A cell phone?

Since 'regular' batteries cannot, for the most part, support the current requirements this level of output requires your point is irrelevant. The light would either need to run at a lower power or use a TON of batteries.

AusKipper

Enlightened
The SR90 has a specially made pack for a number of very good reasons. As this has has already been discussed ad nauseum in other threads I'll not repeat myself and others here but the information is easily found.

I wonder though - do you have a laptop? A cell phone?

Since 'regular' batteries cannot, for the most part, support the current requirements this level of output requires your point is irrelevant. The light would either need to run at a lower power or use a TON of batteries.

I have a $30 cell phone and a laptop.

If the cell phone battery dies, $30 is not a major loss, if the laptop battery dies, its a non-issue because 99% of the time I have it plugged into the power.

The reason I have such a cheap phone actually is because I tend to break my phones a lot, and my last $200 "trade phone" didnt last as long as what 5 "cheap" phones will last.

Anyway, back on topic, I did buy a rechargeable spotlight once with a propitiatory battery pack, that was a useless paper weight after 12 months (runtime went from about 20 mins to about 5) and ever since then I have avoided such things.

I think my concern is legitimate, and i'm sure others share it.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have a $30 cell phone - you have a $300 cell phone that was subvented by your CONTRACT with your service provider.

-There's no reason to think Olight would disappear.
-There's any number of elctronics 'experts' who could repair an Olight SR90 pack and or replace it's batteries.

Lastly, and please go read the other SR90 threads there's a number of very good reasons the SR90 uses a pack instead of loose cells.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
This thread describes one reason to use a pack with build in protection, instead of lots of 18650 cells.
Yes - good point. :duck:

Personally, I'm not comfortable actually running anything that requires more than 2x3.7V Li-ion cells (and vastly prefer running lights in 1x3.7V mode whenever possible). The problem of mismatched individual cells (even protected ones) is not something I like to deal with. No matter how carefully you try to balance things, there's always a risk (and yes, even in 2x). But that risk just rises with every extra cell.

For something with the power draw of the SR90, a dedicated power pack with a built-in protection circuit is the only thing that makes sense to me. Just not worth the risk of carrying a potential hand-grenade of 6x18650 individual cells otherwise.

This is an important discussion to have, since people may not appreciate the risk of multi-cell setups where each cell is charged independently. A dedicated battery pack with one protection circuit (much like your laptop battery pack, or the SR90 here) is the only safe way to go.

AusKipper

Enlightened
You don't have a $30 cell phone - you have a $300 cell phone that was subvented by your CONTRACT with your service provider.

-There's no reason to think Olight would disappear.
-There's any number of elctronics 'experts' who could repair an Olight SR90 pack and or replace it's batteries.

Lastly, and please go read the other SR90 threads there's a number of very good reasons the SR90 uses a pack instead of loose cells.

No, I do have a $30 pre-paid cell phone (I purchased it unlocked, without a sim card) (Motorolla W156)

Olight doesnt have to dissapear, let me give you another example.

10 years ago (or so) I purchased a Panasonic MP3 player that runs on AA batteries. It still works.

SINCE i purchased that, Apple released their first I-Pod, which 3 years later users would realize that it has an non-replaceable battery, and as a result they had all spent $300 on a paperweight.

As a result of the uproar, Apple now makes it ipods with a replacable battery BUT its still not user changable and has to be sent to an apple service centre. This has satisfied many people (but of course not me).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod

iPod batteries are not designed to be removed or replaced by the user, although some users have been able to open the case themselves, usually following instructions from third-party vendors of iPod replacement batteries. Compounding the problem, Apple initially would not replace worn-out batteries. The official policy was that the customer should buy a refurbished replacement iPod, at a cost almost equivalent to a brand new one. All lithium-ion batteries eventually lose capacity during their lifetime[80] (guidelines are available for prolonging life-span) and this situation led to a market for third-party battery replacement kits.
Apple announced a battery replacement program on 14 November 2003, a week before[81] a high publicity stunt and website by the Neistat Brothers.[82] The initial cost was US$99,[83] and it was lowered to US$59 in 2005. One week later, Apple offered an extended iPod warranty for US$59.[84] For the iPod Nano, soldering tools are needed because the battery is soldered onto the main board. Fifth generation iPods have their battery attached to the backplate with adhesive.[85][86]
$60 to change a battery on my MP3 player? get f'd, i'll put up with my 10 year old AA walkman

It is now almost impossible to buy MP3 players that run on common batteries, so clearly their is a reason for companies to make products with non-replaceable batteries (or batteries that are not standard), but I just refuse to buy them.

Obviously i'm different ;) (and yes, of course I realise an MP3 player is not a torch, but the basis of my argument is still the same, if I want a working Olight SR90 10 years from now, i'm going to have to spend more than the cost of 6 18650 batteries.)

AusKipper

Enlightened
This is an important discussion to have, since people may not appreciate the risk of multi-cell setups where each cell is charged independently. A dedicated battery pack with one protection circuit (much like your laptop battery pack, or the SR90 here) is the only safe way to go.

What about a pack that is held together by secure torx bits and has a tamper indicator on it? (they could still advertise it as a "battery pack" that you cant get into, but so long as I know its possible, thats good enough)

You break into the battery pack you loose your warranty, but people like me that want the security of knowing I can get working batteries for it in the future at an affordable price can still have that?

Also, if user-replaceable batteries where used, what about NiMH, they are safe? we could have big writing all over it "NiMH only".

There has to be some alternative that keeps both parties happy.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:Basically every light in this category has a built in battery pack. All for a good reasons.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SR90's battery pack can be disassembled by a knowledgable technician - of course I would never recommend it for a hobbyist who is not familiar with working with lithium ion batteries and does not have the proper equipment.

It would take like 9 NiMh D cells (real 9-10Ah ones - not the ones using AA's and sub C's inside) to power the SR90 - not feasible.

Olight has some future products coming for primary/user replaceable batteries but they won't be as powerful as the SR90.

Look at other lights with similar power consumption they ALL use integrated pack solutions except the Maxabeam which can also use a $300 primary, non-rechargable military lithium battery pack.

10 years ago (or so) I purchased a Panasonic MP3 player that runs on AA batteries. It still works.

SINCE i purchased that, Apple released their first I-Pod, which 3 years later users would realize that it has an non-replaceable battery, and as a result they had all spent $300 on a paperweight.

You can't expect to get the latest, most compact and efficient technology without sacrificing something, which is usually ease and cost of repair. You sound no different than the motor heads who complain about the engine compartment of modern cars being so crammed and cluttered with modern electronics and other do-dads. You are more than welcome to continue driving your 1982 F-150 with crank windows, manual tilt mirrors, 5 speed manaul tranny, no back seat with no air conditioning. What you say? When the clutch cable goes out you can fix it in 5 minutes with your eyes closed? Good for you (seriously). Meanwhile I will happily pay extra for all the automated do-dads knowing full well they are more expensive to repair or replace when they break.

easilyled

Flashaholic
AusKipper, if its any consolation to you, I'd imagine that by the time the battery pack does conk out, assuming that you're correct, you'll be able to buy an led light half the size of this Olight SR90 with twice the power since leds continue to evolve. (that is no disrespect to this light which is fantastic)

You could decide to sell your Olight SR90 on the marketplace well before then if you are so worried about it. I'm sure you'd have many bites.

AusKipper

Enlightened
You can't expect to get the latest, most compact and efficient technology without sacrificing something, which is usually ease and cost of repair. You sound no different than the motor heads who complain about the engine compartment of modern cars being so crammed and cluttered with modern electronics and other do-dads. You are more than welcome to continue driving your 1982 F-150 with crank windows, manual tilt mirrors, 5 speed manaul tranny, no back seat with no air conditioning. What you say? When the clutch cable goes out you can fix it in 5 minutes with your eyes closed? Good for you (seriously). Meanwhile I will happily pay extra for all the automated do-dads knowing full well they are more expensive to repair or replace when they break.

In a hypothetical car related scenario I would say its more akin to me complaining about cars in the future, when they are all battery powered (and only battery powered) and every manufacturer having a different battery, and if the battery in my car dies i am forced to buy a battery from the manufacturer at whatever cost they charge instead of being able to purchase my own generic brand of battery.

If the manufacturer has gone out of business or stopped producing that battery I now have either a useless car, or an expensive custom job to make it work again.

Also in this hypothetical scenaro i may have a massive tank full of natural gas stored at my house, but NOONE is making gas powered cars anymore, so I have to find cars that are 10 years old and use them (ie, you try and find a AA powered MP3 player these days, they pretty much dont exist, and it really annoys me, because they know how to make them, they just dont for whatever reason)

The last thing I want to see is all manufactures having battery packs in all their torches.

Anyway, this is a big torch, apparently they need to have a massive battery pack, there are no large large "regular" batteries of the type they need, so they would have to use many small batteries, which is dangerous, so be it.

They still could have a way to run it directly off the AC though (then if the battery dies, i cant afford a new one, I can just take an inverter along with my in my car, and I can still use it for spotlighting ;)

AusKipper, if its any consolation to you, I'd imagine that by the time the battery pack does conk out, assuming that you're correct, you'll be able to buy an led light half the size of this Olight SR90 with twice the power since leds continue to evolve. (that is no disrespect to this light which is fantastic)

You could decide to sell your Olight SR90 on the marketplace well before then if you are so worried about it. I'm sure you'd have many bites.

Oh, all battery packs conk out eventually so I am correct :) , and yes it is some consolidation, but it would be more consolidation if i knew 10 years from now there was a way to make the one I had work :p

Anyway, I dont want to turn this thread into a battery pack vs batteries argument, so no more "contesting" from me :p

I am sure its a terrific light, and I am still considering one, I would really like 4sevens to release their Maelstroms so I have something close to compare to (i wonder if they will have batteries, or battery packs).

The SR90 is still the "cutting edge" of technology, so probably a bit expensive at the moment, once the cost of the components has come down it'll probably be higher up on my "to buy" list :)

dwminer

Enlightened
"Anyway, I dont want to turn this thread into a battery pack vs batteries argument, so no more "contesting" from me :p"

To late for that.