Olight SR90 Intimidator (Phlatlight SST-90) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES and more!

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
GI for the WiseLED Tactical 2600 lumen!:)

2600 real lumens againdt 1400 real lumens from SR90. The Wiseled is aLso much shorter.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for SR90 if you want the best throw. SR90 has 110k lux and wiseled only around 40k lux.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think there is a range of outputs of the Olight SR90 based on the lottery of the SST-90 used.

I was told by the dealer I bought mine from in Europe, that since I am a good customer, she gave me one that was one of the three best performers that she had in stock. (She had a large stock of them at the time)

The output on mine seems quite a lot brighter than my Led_Zeppelin Tri-P7-M6 light and bigchelis measured that particular light at 1700 OTF lumens.

So, I'm not convinced that all SR90s are the same. Mine is absolutely spectacular in its output.

As jirik_cz also mentioned, the throw will trump any Maglite-sized light too.

billcushman

Enlightened
The following is a response from Olight to questions I had regarding the SR90.

"Thanks for your inquiry.
The Luminus Part Number of the SST-90 emitter used in the SR90 is SST-90-W65S-F11-WN.

Operating Current:
High mode: 8.4A+/- 5%
Low mode: 1.7A +/- 5%

Thanks & Best Regards

Olight Technology Co., Ltd"

At a current of 8.4A, the emitter output is about 2.5X the output at the standard test current, according to the Luminus data sheet for the SST-90. The WN output bin is specified to have an output of 1000 lumens minimum and 1200 lumens maximum at the standard test current. The WN flux bin is the highest SST-90 output bin.

This results in a emitter output of 2500 lumens minimum and 3000 lumens maximum.

billcushman

Enlightened
I took some quick measurements on the Olight SR90 set to High using my Spectroradiometer.

At 5 meters:
x=.3051
y=.3285
CCT=6931K
illuminance=5600.86 lux
illuminance=520.53 foot-candles
illuminance=8.20 W/sq. meter
irradiance=1809.22 microwatts/sq cm.

At 1 meter:
x=.3135
y=.3461
CCT=6348K
illuminance=77257.14 lux
illuminance=7180.03 foot-candles
illuminance=113.11 W/sq. meter
irradiance=23807.08 microwatts/sq. cm.

billcushman

Enlightened
I just returned from a visit to a well known supplier in Pearland (Houston TX area). I showed them the Olight SR90 and we compared it to the ArcMania X6 and the ThruNite Catapult V2. With the SR90 set to Low, it was about the same brightness as the Catapult V2 on high or the ArcMania X6 with the smallest possible spot. The size of the spot on the ArcMania X6 was about twice the diameter of the central spot of the SR90. All three lights were projecting on the opposite white wall of the store, about 40 to 50 feet away. When the SR90 was set to high it was much brighter than either of the others.

cujet

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up the SR-90. I have no way to measure or compare it to others. However, It's exactly what I needed. A spotlight with instant on capablity for finding gators, as they will submerge within a few seconds. The instant on really sealed the deal for me

I'm beyond impressed with this thing. It outlasts my 100W "night blaster" by a factor of 20. It seems to be every bit as bright. I drove all around the airport on the golf cart late at night. The light lasted all night with a good mix of low and high. High really is too much for long term night use.

I don't find the size to be an issue at all. It's really not that much bigger than a 3 cell mag. The light will easily illuminate the dark pine trees on the other side of the runway/taxiway/airport grounds (1800 feet).

The bottom line is that this light works perfectly and is more than bright enough for serious spotlight use.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by Scottcenfla on 11-05-2010 09:59 AM GMT

Selfbuilt, thank you for taking the time for a very informative review. Very generous of you. Got one on order from BJ. :thumbsup:
Written by goldenbrown on 11-10-2010 09:34 AM GMT

What a great review

golden
Written by stallion2 on 11-12-2010 04:39 PM GMT

to whom it may concern, i've been using this light all summer and it has been perfect. my primary reason for getting this light was to use when spearing. we've been able to run this light 30+ minutes at a time countless times and the light has suffered no ill effects. the head gets pretty warm but by no means hot. it takes roughly 10-15 minutes to reach a stable operating temperature...it certainly seems to make the most of its mass. the efficiency loss w/ heat is inconsequential. it really is a pretty kick-*** light which becomes even more apparent if you can find a regular use for it beyond just saying, "hey guys, watch this"
Written by MattK on 11-12-2010 10:09 PM GMT

Yah, very few new lights that come home for me to test/play with stay - the SR90 has earned a permanent spot in my home.

It's awesome for night golf BTW. :)
Written by Richwouldnt on 12-04-2010 05:17 PM GMT

A great review, thanks. The time involved looks like it took many hours of work.

One item not listed in the specifications is the diameter of the battery pack or handle. Scaling from the photo that includes the Maglite D cell flashlight it looks like the grip area diameter on the SR90 is about 2" or 50mm in diameter. Can anyone verify that and/give an accurate measurement please.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by HKJ on 12-05-2010 04:17 AM GMT

Richwouldnt said:
Scaling from the photo that includes the Maglite D cell flashlight it looks like the grip area diameter on the SR90 is about 2" or 50mm in diameter. Can anyone verify that and/give an accurate measurement please.
Very good guess, I measure it at 48.5 mm on top of the knobs. Very good guess, I measure it at 48.5 mm on top of the knobs.
Written by Richwouldnt on 12-06-2010 05:06 PM GMT

Mine arrived in todays mail. Ordered through Amazon from Outfitter Country in Toledo, OH. They and another Amazon vendor have the best price I have seen by about $50. They also had very fast shipping on it, I ordered it on the 2nd, it shipped by Priority Mail on the 3rd and was delivered in Nevada today, 12/6. Quite well packed too and shipping was less than $6.00.

The SR90 has immediately given every other flashlight in the house a inferiority complex. It shouts "size does matter"! :eek: The size is deceptive in the photos as everything is oversized. Proportionally it looks about like a 2D Maglite if there is nothing in the picture to compare it to. My 4D Maglite could only mutter "well at least I am taller". :eek:oo:

Some items not yet covered in the review or other posts in this thread so far as I know.

Mine arrived with the battery indicating full charge.

The striking bezel is not glued on. Mine unscrewed with moderate pressure and then the reflector lifts right out. Olight could make a orange peel finish reflector available it appears.

The shipping case is 14 5/8" by 8 3/8" by 4 5/8" external dimensions excluding hinges. latches and handle. The separator foam with the cutouts is very dense and stiff foam. Overall it looks like a lightweight version of some aluminum shell camera equipment or tool cases I have seen.

All threads are well lubed but I have ordered some silicone grease for maintenance of all of my flashlight threads and O rings. The manual says one spare O ring is included but I received two.

The lanyard or carrying strap holes in the yellow colored rings on the flashlight are 6mm in diameter. Another example of everything about this light being oversized.
Written by Richwouldnt on 12-08-2010 11:44 AM GMT

Does anyone know whether or not the Titanium Innovations filter kit from Battery Junction would fit the SR90? It looks like the filters are about the correct size so the question is concerning the filter holder really and whether it would fit or could be adapted.
Written by Luciaro on 12-08-2010 02:24 PM GMT

I think is awesome light
Written by luceat lux vestra on 02-19-2011 03:42 PM GMT

Thank you selfbuilt for the truly amazing review, I have to have one now :naughty:
Written by EONEB on 02-21-2011 09:56 PM GMT

Thanks for posting, great review!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The thread discussions for the last few months have been fully restored from the search engine cache data (thank you tandem!).

Please carry on! :)

Proflash

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if it's alright to use the SR-90 while it is charging? I read the manual, but could not find the answer.

I once had an HID which cautioned against using the light as it was charging. I'd like to use the SR-90 while plugged in, but don't want to mess up the battery...

Raydon

Newly Enlightened
My first a SR90 Intimidator

Well I have read everything you all had to say (I hope) and ordered a SR90 why because I have a need for a bright long throw. I'll know tomorrow if I made the right decision :)

Cheers
Ray

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Re: My first a SR90 Intimidator

Well I have read everything you all had to say (I hope) and ordered a SR90 why because I have a need for a bright long throw. I'll know tomorrow if I made the right decision :)

Cheers
Ray

Keep us posted, as this is also something I'm looking at. What's your current brightest light, just so I know what's your point of reference.

Cheers.

warmurf

Enlightened

You will not be disappointed- it's a monster thrower! Stays cool, long runtime, great built quailty. Just weighs a ton.

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened

You will not be disappointed- it's a monster thrower! Stays cool, long runtime, great built quailty. Just weighs a ton.

The SR91 might be a better option weight wise, but probably not for throw, as the reflector is smaller than that of the SR90.

Moka

Enlightened

That's a hell of a monster for your first... From what I've heard you won't regret it... Keep us posted when it arrives! :)

Raydon

Newly Enlightened

Well it finally arrived and OMG! it's the best thing since sliced bread I gave it a quick try out last night and it's unbelievable my son's house is 95 meters away from me and it lit it up like it was daylight the forest edge 250 meters and again you could see every thing clearly so no regrets and glad I bought it just need to wait for the winter dark nights to use it in anger!

uknewbie

Banned

Well it finally arrived and OMG! it's the best thing since sliced bread I gave it a quick try out last night and it's unbelievable my son's house is 95 meters away from me and it lit it up like it was daylight the forest edge 250 meters and again you could see every thing clearly so no regrets and glad I bought it just need to wait for the winter dark nights to use it in anger!

Glas to hear this, mine will be here any day!

Get some beam shots up for us then...