Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

kj2

Flashaholic
Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Mine UT will come next week :)
Hope that Marshall comes quick with those new video's :wave:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

I just pulled the trigger and ordered a NIST-calibrated Extech, but it will take awhile to get here. The dealer has to send the meter to NIST for calibration and certification, NIST has to ship it back to them, and then they have to ship it to me. Best case scenario, you are looking at at least 3 weeks all told (likely longer).
Well, my NIST-calibrated and certified luxmeter was supposed to arrive today ... but inside the box was a NIST-certified thermocouple datalogger with my name on it instead. :ohgeez:

Contacted the distributer, and they confirm it was their error. So I need to RMA this one, and they will get working on the proper NIST-certified luxmeter I originally ordered. Assuming the meter is still in stock, we are looking at another 2-3 weeks for certification and shipping, I'm afraid. :sigh:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Well, my NIST-calibrated and certified luxmeter was supposed to arrive today ... but inside the box was a NIST-certified thermocouple datalogger with my name on it instead. :ohgeez:

ahhh! That stinks selfbuilt. I hope there aren't further issues for your sake. You work hard enough at this stuff already.

biglights

Enlightened
Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Yep lol. Ordered my first light in March actually

Its all down hill, I spent A LOT at first. Now I kinda know what I like and will ACTUALLY use, so the spending went way down. Fun trip though!!!!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

ahhh! That stinks selfbuilt. I hope there aren't further issues for your sake. You work hard enough at this stuff already.
Apparently it was Extech that messed up the order, so they are rushing another one to NIST for calibration. But it will likely still take two weeks or so.

But that's fine,I am going to be away next week anyway, so hopefully will have it soon after I am back.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast

TN31vs.SR90vs.SR95 gif is missing.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can see it now as well. Maybe Photobucket had some problems.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really my Olight SR95 UT, as it is the best production thrower to date incorporating the newer SBT-90 LED by Luminus. The large monolithic chip was designed for high output / thermal conductivity. This translates to a high output thrower and a step forward in the advancement of LED technology. Perhaps one day this type of emitter will replace arc and halogen lamps...

I personally find the fit and finish on the SR95 UT a little nicer than it's predecessor the SR90. When you compare the weight and dimensions between the two models, it does not appear to be significantly different. However, combine this with the better weight distribution and added comfort of the shoulder strap and you truly have a wonderful thrower. Although the UT model has a less output than the standard SR95, it is heavily compensated with more lux. I believe this observation has transcended throughout the world, which has resulted in far greater sales of the SR95 UT. Hence Olight's decision to produce more than the original target of 240. I realise that this may have a less than desirable effect on some buyers, as the feeling of lack of exclusivity
has diminished. To my surprise, this has not fazed me, as I feel that we are contributing to the popularity of lights.

The beam profile is very nice and solid. There is no sign of the slightly darker hole sometimes associated with reflector throwers and I find the cool 6500k tint is pleasing to the eye. The SR95 UT is a fine demonstration of a real workhorse. A truly amazing thrower with excellent regulation and long runtimes. It does not suffer from the excessive heat and lack of regulation of my Varapower Turbo.

kj2

Flashaholic

Still no UT for me :( -hope it arrives next week.

JudasD

Enlightened

The beam profile is very nice and solid. There is no sign of the slightly darker hole sometimes associated with reflector throwers and I find the cool 6500k tint is pleasing to the eye. The SR95 UT is a fine demonstration of a real workhorse. A truly amazing thrower with excellent regulation and long runtimes. It does not suffer from the excessive heat and lack of regulation of my Varapower Turbo.

How is the performance compared to your VPT?

JD

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

How is the performance compared to your VPT?

JD

My VPT is the de-domed version and beats my SR95 UT in terms of throw. There is not a big difference between the two, as they are both great throwers.

JudasD

Enlightened

My VPT is the de-domed version and beats my SR95 UT in terms of throw. There is not a big difference between the two, as they are both great throwers.

I was thinking that the VPT would be driven a little bit harder than the olight. The drawback is the direct drive and the heat on the VPT. The VPT is a great light, but i can understand the desire to have a production-type device with similar performance. I am also curious how the SR95 non-UT compares to the VPT still-domed.

JD

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking that the VPT would be driven a little bit harder than the olight. The drawback is the direct drive and the heat on the VPT. The VPT is a great light, but i can understand the desire to have a production-type device with similar performance. I am also curious how the SR95 non-UT compares to the VPT still-domed.

JD

The VPT is heavily over-driven which forces the lux and lumens out of the front. It is fun light for short bursts. The SR95 UT is a better thrower than the standard VPT (Dome left on).

I really like the newer SBT-90, it should prove to be a great mod for the older SR90.

Last edited:

DucS2R

Enlightened
Blue Led, I like mine too, just finished spending some time in the woods behind my house testing my various lights for throw and it is amazing. Granted I do not have any of the previous great throwers, but I was comparing a Fenix 35 and a Malkoff Hound dog and a TM11 (not a throw light but a lot of output) and am pretty comfortable with it as the light I grab when I hear something out in the woods behind my house.

Nice light.

T