Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

kj2

Flashaholic
Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Just received info from my dealer. They will ship my light monday, hope it comes in wednesday :D

phips

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO

Seems like some very nice lights... too big for me, though I would really like a SST-90/18650 flashlight.
Maybe the technological upgrades make it into a SR91_v2... currently the SR91 seems outdated with less power an less runtime than the SR95.

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened

I have the SR95UT and the standard 95. They are awesome lights for my purposes, but I did see someone mention that this light will make the SR90 (I don't have one) obsolete. With the IPX rating of 8 on the 90, and 6 on the 95 lights, the 90 is the light you want if you are going to be doing anything underwater. I'm a bit surprised they dropped the rating on the new lights. I don't do anything where I'd need a light under water, but this is one spot the 90 still beats the 95. I live in a very active wildlife corridor linking the Rattlesnake Wilderness Area to the Bitterroot Mountains. I raise Bourbon Red Turkeys and laying chickens, so the predators are drawn to my property. These lights are great for scanning the my land and the mountain for Lions and other predators. Really, impressive.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I have the SR95UT and the standard 95. They are awesome lights for my purposes, but I did see someone mention that this light will make the SR90 (I don't have one) obsolete. With the IPX rating of 8 on the 90, and 6 on the 95 lights, the 90 is the light you want if you are going to be doing anything underwater. I'm a bit surprised they dropped the rating on the new lights.
It's a good point .... if I were to guess, it may have something to do with the cut-outs in the head now, as they directly expose the heatsink.

I live in a very active wildlife corridor linking the Rattlesnake Wilderness Area to the Bitterroot Mountains. I raise Bourbon Red Turkeys and laying chickens, so the predators are drawn to my property. These lights are great for scanning the my land and the mountain for Lions and other predators. Really, impressive.
Sounds like a good use for SR95/95UT. :eek:

Oh, and :welcome:

yliu

Enlightened
I saw a video on YouTube that the SR90 is not completely waterproof, the battery pack is not sealed well. Could this be the reason of the IPX6 rating on these new lights?

I see no reason to blame the new heat sink design as long the head is sealed.

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm really in awe of the level of expertise and intellect present here. My only experience with forums have been very discouraging. I have a great deal to learn, but I just like LED lights for whatever reason.

When I first got the SR95UT and took it out to test it, people thought a UFO had landed on my property. I'm dead serious. This beat up pickup came flying from up the road and pulled into my drive. They stopped at the gate and I lit up a field on the mountain behind my property about 600 meters away. Then I heard one say, "Aww Man! It's just some dude out there with a spotlight, I can see him". I yelled back that I was sorry to alarm them, but they just drove off.

We had a cat take nine of our Bourbon Reds in just a few days. He came in and made kills as close as 30 feet from my back door. Talk about a bold cat! He was actually struck by a car just outside of Lolo during daylight hours. But, the neighbor has already caught other lions on his trail camera, and one will soon claim the area. The bear and wolves are moving down the canyon to follow the deer and elk. These are just the daily realities of living in an active corridor!

So far, the SR95 and SR95UT I have make me feel much more secure doing my tasks when the sun is down. Take care!

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened

I don't know what the reason for the different rating. You could be totally correct.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I saw a video on YouTube that the SR90 is not completely waterproof, the battery pack is not sealed well. Could this be the reason of the IPX6 rating on these new lights?
I see no reason to blame the new heat sink design as long the head is sealed.
Could be. I wasn't "blaming" the new head - as I qualified, it is just the one characteristic that has obviously changed (and I don't know how well sealed it is). It may well be that whole series - old and new - has been downgraded to IPX6. You would have to check with Olight to confirm.

FYI, there are o-rings at either end of the battery tube, on the older SR90 as well as the SR95. But the tailcap itself has a circuit and charging port, so that is another potential source of entry. I haven't tested any of my lights for waterproofness.

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened

Something especially odd is that they have a photo of the SR95 Intimidator submerged while on in one of the advertisement photos for the light. This is not something you should do with an IPX-6 rated light. I'm not about to submerge any of my 95s, I had to get another of each for my collection. I use the others daily, and I expect them to get a little beat up over time, so I got a second of each that will not be used and will go straight into the collection room. The O-ring on the Olights came lubricated from the factory/distributor.

http://chows.smugmug.com/Davids-Gadgets/Olight/SR95/i-PcZLxVw/0/L/olightsr9508-L.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but when you are paying this kind of money for these tools, they should carry the highest rating, and should be fully capable of operating under water.

Last edited:

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened

Well, I received a SR95 Intimidator today, and it was Dead On Arrival. Nothing. The head/ emitter is defective. I have a UT version and another 95 that have been performing well on a daily basis. So well, I bought some for other family members, and some for my collection. There was no damage to the box the light arrived in, or the light case. Have folks done long term tests on these lights? I want to make sure I'm not just spending thousands of dollars on overpriced, Chinese junk. These are marked as search and rescue lights, and we need a light we can really depend on. - worried about long term quality in Montana!

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome Montaman. I'm just east of GNP. Lights like these are great for Big Sky country with wide open spaces with no light polution. Bummer about you UT light. Good luck with replacing it.

Dan

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened

The UT lights both work well, it was the standard SR95 with the Luminous SST-90. However, GoingGear replaced it immediately, and they immediately replaced the EYE-30 that had failed a water submersion test due to a defective, unlubricated gasket. GREAT customer service!

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened

Welcome Montaman. I'm just east of GNP. Lights like these are great for Big Sky country with wide open spaces with no light polution. Bummer about you UT light. Good luck with replacing it.

Dan

Nice to see another Montanan here! You must really have some dark nights up there! We still get some light pollution from Missoula, but it is minimal. And if we want it to be really dark, we just drive a mile or two up the Miller Creek drainage. Much fun! Have a great day!

Weildableturnip

Newly Enlightened

An excellent and interesting review, thanks.
I am now waiting for an SR 90 to be delivered, hopefully tomorrow.
I cant wait :D

Weildableturnip

Newly Enlightened

It arrived :D
Seems smaller than I expected somehow, it arrived fully charged which I was impressed with.
The Olight logo isn't as well defined as I expected, but is still ok and the rest of the build quality seems excellent.
Its incredibly bright, even though it is daylight. I'm looking forward to trying it at night, might get to the Galloway dark sky park over the weekend.
Very impressed :)

rjdriver

Newly Enlightened

I git my 95 UT yesterday, tried it out tonight ...it does have a long throw I think it will make a nice fall hunting light although its a little big.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a SR95 UT on the way, it's big for sure & I hate big flashlights.
I am thinking about cutting it down to run 2s2p 4x18650. The battery is currently 2S3P 6x18650 7.2v format.

My goal is to convert the UT into a FM Elephant style...

ser1a

Newly Enlightened

thanks for excellent review! I am considering to buy this light. And what about its charger and accu pack? Is it okay and good quality? Are they with protection or unprotected?? I can not find any ifnormation about this in your review

thank you

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

thanks for excellent review! I am considering to buy this light. And what about its charger and accu pack? Is it okay and good quality? Are they with protection or unprotected?? I can not find any ifnormation about this in your review
That's because I haven't disassembled one to examine it (plus it really isn't my expertise). There have been various discussions (and opinions) of the SR-series battery pack here, but I am not aware of a conclusive study.

Typically, in a sealed pack like this, you would use unprotected cells with regulation/balancing circuitry (i.e., just like a laptop battery pack). Olight has been making these for awhile, so I presume they know what they are doing. But just like any given laptop, it is hard to know what features are in the battery circuitry.

ser1a

Newly Enlightened

That's because I haven't disassembled one to examine it (plus it really isn't my expertise). There have been various discussions (and opinions) of the SR-series battery pack here, but I am not aware of a conclusive study.

Typically, in a sealed pack like this, you would use unprotected cells with regulation/balancing circuitry (i.e., just like a laptop battery pack). Olight has been making these for awhile, so I presume they know what they are doing. But just like any given laptop, it is hard to know what features are in the battery circuitry.
thank you selfbuild, and can I replace original accumulator in SR 95 with my own protected 18650 cells? Or there are some different pack of batteries? On SP6 I think there can be changed on my own

Last edited: