Olight X7 coming 15.9.2016 (3x XHP70, 9000 lumens)

niktak11

Newly Enlightened
Why can't companies space their brightness levels in a reasonable fashion? From 3 lm to 300lm? Oh sure...
A much more reasonable spacing would be to have 3 normal modes: 30lm, 300lm, 3000lm and have a hidden strobe/moonlight/turbo(s)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its easy, just stand the nails up on their heads, drop the boards on them and jump up and down...........come on!!

Now who wants a light modding, pm me:p

Will you disassemble the head the proper way, by busting out the lens with a ball peen hammer to get at the emitter? Its important to do these things correctly..... Lol

How cool are the cool white emitters here? I've bought several lights that were listed as CW(XM-L and XP-G) that ended up being neutral white.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
You have seen my work Highlander! :p

Of the xhp70 i have experience with(CW) they are obv cool but no blues etc, pretty clean and accurate colours to my eyes.............

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
A much more reasonable spacing would be to have 3 normal modes: 30lm, 300lm, 3000lm and have a hidden strobe/moonlight/turbo(s)
Those might be spaced a bit too far apart. However, the problem is that lights like this are so bright now that they need like 6-7 levels to have a good spread of levels, but no one wants to roll through 6-7 levels plus a couple of blinky modes. So, they either space the levels too far apart, skip the lows, or have a cluster of levels at one end or the other.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Too bad its only available in CW tint, would have liked to see it in NW tint as well like Thrunite offering.
I don't have no obsession over tint variations.If the light looks good,and is bright and not to expensive,I'm easy to please.

ven

Flashaholic
Although not this light, I have a tk75vnQ70 which is cool white and find the tint fine. Cool yes but colours are fine too, nothing angry in there ,just a white.

Chaitanya

Banned
I don't have no obsession over tint variations.If the light looks good,and is bright and not to expensive,I'm easy to please.
I was that way until I started on conservation projects on grasslands. with cool tinted leds its very hard spotting Indian wolf, Striped Hyena, Indian fox, Indian hare and Chinkara which all have brown coats on fairly dry grassland habitat(pic below of the habitat). Most of my early lights are all CW tinted. Recently I have started getting all NW lights.

Steppe Eagle by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

xtibi

Newly Enlightened
They corrected again at 24500 candela on both sites. :( Now this information can be seen on the box...

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 lumens..... to 300......

*sigh* I know a light that can put out a listed 9000 lumens isn't exactly the general purpose light you reach for, but sometimes it needs to be. If they are going to put a 3 lumen mode in would it hurt them to work in a 30-40 lumen mode too? What the heck? Why is there always a weird mode gap in any light put out these days?

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
Anyone owns both Olight X7 and TM26 can share their inputs? I would like to know how brighter/better is the former than the latter before I add the Olight in my collection only to find its no better than the TM26 which I already have. TIA

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Short in Review but Big in Brightness: The Olight X7 Marauder

ok, I'm gonna do this a little differenly, let's start with beam shots...
the contenders...
Contenders.jpg

oh yeah, putting lights on an armchair make me literally an armchair flashaholics... :kiss:

FenixPD40.jpg

Mag3CConversion2xLiIon6DBulb.jpg

SureFire6P_EDCPlusX60L3XP-G.jpg

OlightS1R_S_TurboS.jpg

OlightS2R_TurboS.jpg

ok, now that we have "the other" lights out of the way, let's get to the cool stuff...
OlightX7_High.jpg

OlightX7_Turbo.jpg

OlightX7_TurboS.jpg

Almost everything in front of me just washed out with Turbo S mode of 9000 lumens... this is freaking crazy...
Since I don't think the narrow walking path do X7 just in showing off the brightness, decided to move to another location...
OlightX7_Control.jpg

But first, let's use S2R as an example for this new location...
Park_S2R_Low.jpg

Park_S2R_Mid.jpg

Park_S2R_High.jpg

Park_S2R_Turbo.jpg

and now, the freak...
Park_X7_Low.jpg

Park_X7_Mid.jpg

Park_X7_High.jpg

Park_X7_Turbo.jpg

Park_X7_TurboS.jpg

This is crazily bright! I've actually dial-down my camera exposure for these pics, in actual usage, it lights up everything it touches on within 200-300 meters meters, I have no doubts and quite confident to say that the Turbo S mode can light up the whole football field with ease!

Let's take another angle down at the field...
first, the control shot...
Park2_X7_Control.jpg

Park2_X7_Low.jpg

it's early in the morning, the park is still dark tho you can see that the sky...

Park2_X7_Mid.jpg

the sky is getting brighter...

Park2_X7_High.jpg

and brighter...

Park2_X7_Turbo.jpg

and...

Park2_X7_TurboS.jpg

... even when the morning sky is getting brighter, X7 can still shine through and wash out what's in close proximity to me.

With the above, I can sum it up in just 1 word: "FREAKISH"!
You can skip the rest of this post if you want to, as the rest of this post is gonna be boooooriiiiing...

For a light of this class, I would have thought Olight would use a Pelican-like case... but instead, we get this...
X7_BoxFront.jpg

X7_BoxBack.jpg

X7_BoxRight.jpg

X7_BoxLeft.jpg

The box presents itself...
X7_BoxOpened.jpg

X7_LightInBox.jpg

A warning card...
X7_WarningCard.jpg

Everything that comes in the standard box version...
X7_WhatsInTheBox.jpg

my unit comes together with 4 Olight 3500mAh HDC batteries too... while the kit version has an additional C4 charger.
yes, that is really a car sticker...

Tail end of X7, big fat butt is very sturdy when lay on a flat surface
X7_Body6TailCap.jpg

X7_BatteryInsulator.jpg

Removing the tail-cap reveal a yellow colored insulating film protecting the contact points from the batteries during transit.

X7_TailcapContacts.jpg

The inside of tail-cap after removing the insulating film.

X7_IncludedHDCBatteries.jpg

X7_WithBatteries.jpg

here are the 4 pieces of Olight 3500mAh HDC batteries.

X7_TailThread.jpg

square-cut threads

X7_HeadContacts.jpg

batteries contact point at the head

X7_LowVoltageIndicator.jpg

Low voltage indicator

X7_Switch.jpg

A big fat switch. You will not miss the switch in pitch dark area due to the physical shape surrounding the switch boot, even when wearing gloves.

A few more shots of X7 body...
X7_Body1.jpg

X7_Body2.jpg

X7_Body3Gap.jpg

I think I can see a greasy o-ring in the gap...

X7_Body4Fins.jpg

massive heat-sinking fins

X7_Body5PVDRing.jpg

X73xXHP70Emitter.jpg

all that matters in this light, 3 glorious XHP 70 emitter. I believe Vinh (SkyLumen) has manage to push these emitter beyond 14000 lumens in the same body...

and as usual, the user manual for record...
X7_UserManual.jpg

just a random pic of charging the HDC batteries...
X7_BatteriesCharging.jpg

X7 in the included holster...
X7InHolster.jpg

I really don't think this X7 should be holster-carry... it's too bulky... like my tummy....

X7Paracord_Hand.jpg

I like wrapping it in paracord (Koppo wrap) to get a good grip and extra loop when hand-carry.

X7Paracord_HandOnButton.jpg

Last but not least, using X7 in Turbo mode (no, not Turbo S)...
X7_Turbo_InUse.jpg

It just lights up a big area in front of me... awesomely-pain-inducing brightness for anyone standing in front... :duck:

In conclusion, this is not my usual EDC light, heck, it's not even my BOB light. But I do think it could be a very good work light especially @ construction sites, and probably search and rescue... however, having to say that, this X7 is lacking a mounting port or mounting solution for it to function as a work light, as "ceiling bounce" or using X7 tail-standing is not always an option. The fact that it rolls easily doesn't help either. Is this a good blackout light? hmmm... if only it has a sub-100 lumens mode. 3 lumens is too dim for most blackout tasks and 300 lumens is too bright for any closeup tasks...
This is defintely gonna be a shelf piece, for that moment when I feel like showing it off! LOL!

oh man! this chubby thing is bright!!!

Last edited:

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Short in Review but Big in Brightness: The Olight X7 Marauder

Not really a practical light due to serious step-down. The most useful setting is probably the 3000 lumen for 32 minutes before further step-down. But 9000 lumens for 2.5 minutes before stepping down to 1800 makes it only a show pony to me. The fact that the head gets so hot after just 2 minutes to melt Styrofoam makes it down right dangerous to me. You wouldn't want to lay that thing down on some real dry grass even for a second after a running it a couple minutes on turbo s.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I was that way until I started on conservation projects on grasslands. with cool tinted leds its very hard spotting Indian wolf, Striped Hyena, Indian fox, Indian hare and Chinkara which all have brown coats on fairly dry grassland habitat(pic below of the habitat). Most of my early lights are all CW tinted. Recently I have started getting all NW lights.

Steppe Eagle by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

wow, that is one bright flashlight!

Olightworld

Enlightened
Re: Short in Review but Big in Brightness: The Olight X7 Marauder

You make us proud showing off our superior beam. of course this light isn't an EDC. We did not try to make it that way. We made this light to show the world what we can do. This is only the beginning.

ok, I'm gonna do this a little differenly, let's start with beam shots...
the contenders...
Contenders.jpg

oh yeah, putting lights on an armchair make me literally an armchair flashaholics... :kiss:

FenixPD40.jpg

Mag3CConversion2xLiIon6DBulb.jpg

SureFire6P_EDCPlusX60L3XP-G.jpg

OlightS1R_S_TurboS.jpg

OlightS2R_TurboS.jpg

ok, now that we have "the other" lights out of the way, let's get to the cool stuff...
OlightX7_High.jpg

OlightX7_Turbo.jpg

OlightX7_TurboS.jpg

Almost everything in front of me just washed out with Turbo S mode of 9000 lumens... this is freaking crazy...
Since I don't think the narrow walking path do X7 just in showing off the brightness, decided to move to another location...
OlightX7_Control.jpg

But first, let's use S2R as an example for this new location...
Park_S2R_Low.jpg

Park_S2R_Mid.jpg

Park_S2R_High.jpg

Park_S2R_Turbo.jpg

and now, the freak...
Park_X7_Low.jpg

Park_X7_Mid.jpg

Park_X7_High.jpg

Park_X7_Turbo.jpg

Park_X7_TurboS.jpg

This is crazily bright! I've actually dial-down my camera exposure for these pics, in actual usage, it lights up everything it touches on within 200-300 meters meters, I have no doubts and quite confident to say that the Turbo S mode can light up the whole football field with ease!

Let's take another angle down at the field...
first, the control shot...
Park2_X7_Control.jpg

Park2_X7_Low.jpg

it's early in the morning, the park is still dark tho you can see that the sky...

Park2_X7_Mid.jpg

the sky is getting brighter...

Park2_X7_High.jpg

and brighter...

Park2_X7_Turbo.jpg

and...

Park2_X7_TurboS.jpg

... even when the morning sky is getting brighter, X7 can still shine through and wash out what's in close proximity to me.

With the above, I can sum it up in just 1 word: "FREAKISH"!
You can skip the rest of this post if you want to, as the rest of this post is gonna be boooooriiiiing...

For a light of this class, I would have thought Olight would use a Pelican-like case... but instead, we get this...
X7_BoxFront.jpg

X7_BoxBack.jpg

X7_BoxRight.jpg

X7_BoxLeft.jpg

The box presents itself...
X7_BoxOpened.jpg

X7_LightInBox.jpg

A warning card...
X7_WarningCard.jpg

Everything that comes in the standard box version...
X7_WhatsInTheBox.jpg

my unit comes together with 4 Olight 3500mAh HDC batteries too... while the kit version has an additional C4 charger.
yes, that is really a car sticker...

Tail end of X7, big fat butt is very sturdy when lay on a flat surface
X7_Body6TailCap.jpg

X7_BatteryInsulator.jpg

Removing the tail-cap reveal a yellow colored insulating film protecting the contact points from the batteries during transit.

X7_TailcapContacts.jpg

The inside of tail-cap after removing the insulating film.

X7_IncludedHDCBatteries.jpg

X7_WithBatteries.jpg

here are the 4 pieces of Olight 3500mAh HDC batteries.

X7_TailThread.jpg

square-cut threads

X7_HeadContacts.jpg

batteries contact point at the head

X7_LowVoltageIndicator.jpg

Low voltage indicator

X7_Switch.jpg

A big fat switch. You will not miss the switch in pitch dark area due to the physical shape surrounding the switch boot, even when wearing gloves.

A few more shots of X7 body...
X7_Body1.jpg

X7_Body2.jpg

X7_Body3Gap.jpg

I think I can see a greasy o-ring in the gap...

X7_Body4Fins.jpg

massive heat-sinking fins

X7_Body5PVDRing.jpg

X73xXHP70Emitter.jpg

all that matters in this light, 3 glorious XHP 70 emitter. I believe Vinh (SkyLumen) has manage to push these emitter beyond 14000 lumens in the same body...

and as usual, the user manual for record...
X7_UserManual.jpg

just a random pic of charging the HDC batteries...
X7_BatteriesCharging.jpg

X7 in the included holster...
X7InHolster.jpg

I really don't think this X7 should be holster-carry... it's too bulky... like my tummy....

X7Paracord_Hand.jpg

I like wrapping it in paracord (Koppo wrap) to get a good grip and extra loop when hand-carry.

X7Paracord_HandOnButton.jpg

Last but not least, using X7 in Turbo mode (no, not Turbo S)...
X7_Turbo_InUse.jpg

It just lights up a big area in front of me... awesomely-pain-inducing brightness for anyone standing in front... :duck:

In conclusion, this is not my usual EDC light, heck, it's not even my BOB light. But I do think it could be a very good work light especially @ construction sites, and probably search and rescue... however, having to say that, this X7 is lacking a mounting port or mounting solution for it to function as a work light, as "ceiling bounce" or using X7 tail-standing is not always an option. The fact that it rolls easily doesn't help either. Is this a good blackout light? hmmm... if only it has a sub-100 lumens mode. 3 lumens is too dim for most blackout tasks and 300 lumens is too bright for any closeup tasks...
This is defintely gonna be a shelf piece, for that moment when I feel like showing it off! LOL!

oh man! this chubby thing is bright!!!

Olightworld

Enlightened
The upgrade is drastic to say the least.
3 lumens..... to 300......

*sigh* I know a light that can put out a listed 9000 lumens isn't exactly the general purpose light you reach for, but sometimes it needs to be. If they are going to put a 3 lumen mode in would it hurt them to work in a 30-40 lumen mode too? What the heck? Why is there always a weird mode gap in any light put out these days?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I have one on the way, I can't wait to see the thing in person, then I am thinking about the Thrunite TN42 with the battery magazine for throw. Should have it by the middle of next week, and will do a review on it also after some use.

Olightworld

Enlightened
Thanks a lot! Please compare the two if you can and post!

I have one on the way, I can't wait to see the thing in person, then I am thinking about the Thrunite TN42 with the battery magazine for throw. Should have it by the middle of next week, and will do a review on it also after some use.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) :welcome:

Thanks a lot! Please compare the two if you can and post!
Good idea, comparative reviews and comparative beamshots are very valuable.

By the way, the Olight X7 and the TN42 are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One is lots of up front power, and the other one is reach out and touch something.

It is like comparing the .458 Winchester Magnum and the 7mm Remington magnum.