Omega Watches

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened
I have an Omega Seamaster Multifunction that I am very pleased with. I bought it new from an authorized dealer, for a substantial discount. Unless I was getting a watch with a crystal face/back or something where I could see the works, I'd just as soon have a quartz movement. A big selling point of Omegas is the bracelet, if you've never handled premium watches its worth a trip to a dealer just to investigate their bracelets. Really well made. If yer gonna go with a leather strap, there are other brands to look at along with Omega.

Primary downside is the eco-friendly luminescent paint they use is not bright at all, of course having a Luminox Captain's watch spoiled me on that aspect. If Omega offered a mid-sized X-33, and the appropriate stack of Benjamins fell in my lap, I'd be tempted.

PERRYinLA

Newly Enlightened
Most of you guys are younger than my Omega!

My Omega is a Speedmaster ST 145.012 made on October 22, 1968- this was the very last week of production of the .321 movement. Afterwards, the cheaper .861 movement was used.

All Speedmasters from 1957 thru the present are commonly called the "Moonwatch", but the ST 145.012 is the model most likely to have been worn on the first Apollo moon landing in July of 1969. No one will ever know for sure because Neil Armstrong left his on the LEM and Buzz Aldrin's was stolen in 1971 when he shipped his personal items to the Smithsonian.

My good friend Claude Monser, a WWII pilot, owned this watch since 1968. I didn't pay much attention to it, but he was quite proud of it. He died in 1999, and his widow asked me to sell his watch on EBay. But while researching its value, I realized its historical significance, and bought it for myself.

It's fairly easy to unscrew the back and carefully move the regulator lever to adjust how fast or slow it runs. I've had it down to + or - a few seconds a day and, as mentioned previously, it will run at different speeds depending upon what position you leave it in overnight.
apollo13_snoopy.jpg

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95138

Last edited:

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a chrono guy. I currently own two Seamaster Chronos. The vintage one I bought about 12 years ago(circa '71) and the other I have had for 10 years, and that was the last watch that I bought! Been very satisfied with it, there has been others that have caught my eye over the years, but not enough to buy. Untill the new Planet Ocean Chrono, I think I will have to add that one to my collection.
I had the bug quite bad a while back, but my current Seamaster cured me up till now, the POC has got me itchin again!
ohmegs.jpg

I also have a vintage Heuer Cortina Chrono(70/71) that looks quite similar to my Omega that I love a whole lot as well and it finds its way onto my wrist from time to time.
For the money, you cant beat Omega!

magic79

Enlightened
I have wanted one since I was in high school. My fabulous wife bought me a Seamaster Quartz for Christmas 2006. It is my second love! (I'm sure I don't have to say who my first love is!!)

The automatics are wonderful, but my engineer brain says I need the accuracy of quartz...plus, it's quite a bit cheaper. She got it at a local jewelry store/dealer for $1200.

It's everything I have coveted for 30 years!!