OMG - NEW Lowes Task Force 3W "CREE" 2C 150+ lumens

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnef

Enlightened
finally found them in a store in atlanta ( norcross to be specific, store north of 85 on beaver ruin) they had a few left. i only bought one to play with. haha.

INF

Newly Enlightened
The switch of my TF stop clicking tonight.

I brought the TF on 9/28/07 and switch it on/off about 4 times a day for walking my dog. The switch failed. No more click and no more lihgt.

Considering to return TF and buy a L1D CE or Kai 1AA.

au.gif

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened
I don't have pictures, but I compared the TF 2C to my brand new P2D Q5:

The TF 2C hotspot is undeniably brighter than the P2D Q5.

The P2D Q5 has a gorgeous hotspot and spillbeam compared the TF 2C.

The TF2C throws a circular spot of light compared to the slight hotspot with huge spill of the P2D Q5.

I'm pretty surprised the TF 2C is brighter, but then again the beam is more concentrated. The downside is that it's beam is pretty damn ugly inside or upclose compared to the P2D.

Overall, an awesome value at $30 and a great Christmas gift too:twothumbs
THE REALLY GREAT NEWS IS THE LOWES $10 OFF ANY $25 PURCHASE, BUY THIS LIGHT FOR $19.99 + TAX:thumbsup: USE LOWES PROJECT STARTER COUPON ( I GOT 2 IN THE MAIL)

Last edited:

Melven

Newly Enlightened
For CPF'ers in Utah, Lowes in Bountiful just off 400 north has them. I picked one up last night and I am VERY impressed! (mine has the white star)

Last edited:

Darkbegone

Newly Enlightened
Picked up a pair from Burbank, both black star, one throws a tight bluish tinted almost perfect circular hotspot with usable spill, the other is greenish tinted, hotspot is more loose and before messing with the lens the hotspot lopsided. Seems to have more usable spill and for some reason overall a tad more bright around the hotspot. Both had some type of smudge on the bulb themselves, cleaned up easily. Cringed at the solder job but it works. I wrapped the cells in a few layers of paper to deaden the rattle. Now feels solid. They make my first Cree (UltraFire C3) look fairly dim :D Don't think I'll be using the ol' 2D Mag much :whistle:

Have a Happy and bright Thanksgiving guys.

Last edited:

sims2k

Enlightened
A DX Q5 emitter in this light makes for a brighter light that throws further. But...this light is bright as it is no mod required.

pirinst

Newly Enlightened
Clackamas Or still had at least 4 on Saturday.

I go there at least once every two weeks on the way to work and they had 4 or so Saturday

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Lowe's about a month ago looking for the Cree version, but all they had were a couple of Luxeons. I went back today to see what they had.. a full box of Luxeons! Give me a break. Plus I couldn't find the paint I went there for. I did see the G2L and 6PL's hanging above the box of 2C Luxeon Task Force's. Was pretty much a wasted trip though. I probably wouldn't have bought the Cree version anyways even if I had seen it, there are better lights out there for $35.

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
Picked one up last night in Atlanta...Sandy Springs Lowes to be exact. My only other CREE is a Hyperion and ceiling bounce test shows the Hyperion to be a teeeenzy tiny tad bit brighter. Didn't mean to get techincal on ya there. Outside the Hyperion seems dim compared to the TF because of that raging spot.

It does throw has decent enough spill. Color isn't bad but it's hard to judge because the hot spot is soooo stinkin bright (and I'm color blind red-green !!!).

Only problem I have is that it makes my TF 3watt luxeon look dim....very dim. OK, it makes most of my lights look dim. Kinda like driving on the expressway. If you start out at 55mph and then go to 70mph, it's hard to drive 55 again.

Anyway, if you're in the Atlanta area they had a bunch-o-them.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I had an expired 10 buck off card and the guy said oh I can fix that and took $10 off anyway! It was being applied to the g2l but thought I'd relay the story anyway.

Last edited:

tuckerdog1

Newly Enlightened
Checked every Lowe's from Temple to South Austin. Only the old ones. An earlier post said the Brodie Lane store had a few awhile back. But they have only the old version again.

Tuckerdog1

kavvika

Enlightened
Sgt. LED, if the customer asks, we'll give them the discount up to one month after the expiration date without a problem. Longer than that, and it's iffy, but if you really want it, I'm sure a MOD or Head Cashier can take care of it for you. Just thought I'd throw that out there. We really do out best to keep the customer happy!:thumbsup:

I can't wait until my store stocks the new CREE version, I really want to check it out!

topcat39

Newly Enlightened
After reading about the Lowes TF Cree, I had to find out what everyone was raving about. Going to 4 Lowes in San Antonoio I found 3 - two with the white Cree board at one store and one with the black Cree board at another store (CPF'ers probably bought the others before I found them :poof:). One of the white Cree boards was off center the other was near perfect - bought that one. The black Cree board was also near perfectly centered - bought that one.

FYI, the color of the Cree mounting board is seen when looking into the reflector, the LED board color is visible between the hole in the reflector and the LED itself that is mounted in the center of the board.

Comparing the two, the different colored boards are from different manufacturers. Soldering looked OK, so contact/continuity should be good.

Testing:

Inside: the white board Cree had a very defined hot spot, beam nearly perfectly centered, and a nice crisp white color. The black board Cree does not have a well-defined hot spot, beam nearly centered, but the color is tinted yellow.

Outside: comparing to my Mag 4D with the TerraLUX TLE-6EX LED drop-in rated at 140 lumen (all else is OEM) and beam focused to a hot spot about the same diameter as the TF when shined on a fence about 50 feet away - to my eyes the Mag and TF with the white board Cree are about the same as far as lumen go, hot spot on the TF was tighter/more defined/brighter, spill better on the Mag, but the TF spill was usefull. The TF color was slightly more white, but this may be due to the tighter better defined hot spot. Shining on trees/utilty poles 200-250 feet away, both the Mag and TF illuminated about equally - very good detail (smaller branches and leaves easily seen/distinguishable as were the smaller components on the utilty pole like bolt heads).

The black board Cree's indoor problems were magnified outside. The Mag had a better more defined hot spot, brighter, and whiter. Spill not as good as the white board Cree due to the yellow tint. That said, it's still a torch and lit up trees and the utilty pole pretty well. I'm going to return it :thumbsdow. I do not know why the black board Cree is not as good as the white board Cree. It could be that another comparison would yield the opposite results. Another thread may hold the answer - a CPF'er took apart the TF and did a serious analysis. I need to find that thread and see what it says.

My advice: if you can find several, find the ones with the best centered LED, pick both a white board and a black board Cree (if you don't have the choice pick 2-3 of the same color), buy'em, test'em, pick the best, and return the rest.

Sorry, no beam shots - my camera is an old 35mm Nikon :shakehead ! I've got to go digital soon, but I have sooo much invested in my 35mm its going to cost a bunch to duplicate with digital :eek: !!

Cheers!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
- my camera is an old 35mm Nikon :shakehead ! I've got to go digital soon, but I have sooo much invested in my 35mm its going to cost a bunch to duplicate with digital :eek: !!

Cheers!

If you have the nikon lenses, now all you need is a digital body. :poke:

Status
Not open for further replies.