One is none

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Just saw a short YouTube video clip of a hapless hiker who thought he'd explore the Cave of the Domes at Grand Canyon, in 1982. He dropped and broke his *only* flashlight and sp ent two days in total darkness unable to find his way out. Park rangers figured out where he must have gone and found him in seconds after entering the cave...he was only 50 metres from the entrance. The video clip can be found on YouTube if you search for "The Shortest Search and Rescue".

I thought "flashlight" was inherently a plural noun....

I carry more than one light taking the trash to the curb. Let alone going someplace where a light would be essential to finding my way back out. Mind you, in 1982, flashlights were a lot crappier than they are today.

Bill

fulee9999

Enlightened
that's mad, recent years I've always heard you need four flashlights for caving, and just googling a bit, every caving site says you should have at least one headlamp ( but two is preferred ) and at least two backup flashlights with you at all times.

to be fair, if you like hiking it's well within the realms of possibilites to randomly happen upon a cave you might want to explore. One time the missus found a ww1 military trench and "open museum" and turned out half of it was dug into the rock wall, but there was no light inside, so out comes my Malkoff I always carry, and we explored underground

( pictured below would be me taking point on the underground exploration )

1668900522899.png

1668900608487.png

Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's mad, recent years I've always heard you need four flashlights for caving, and just googling a bit, every caving site says you should at least one headlamp ( but two is preferred ) and at least two backup flashlights with you at all times.

to be fair, if you like hiking it's well within the realms of possibilites to randomly happen upon a cave you might want to explore. One time the missus found a ww1 military trench and "open museum" and turned out half of it was dug into the rock wall, but there was no light inside, so out comes my Malkoff I always carry, and we explored underground

( pictured below would be me taking point on the underground exploration )

View attachment 35024
View attachment 35025
What Malkoff did you carry?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my boss the MD2 crenelated bezel tri tailcap. It was the last one. Sorry.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I hiked Black Mountain (frequently) in Ramona, CA, a near 15 mile hike with 3200 feet elevation gain on a dark 12-15 foot wide road shared by Jeep's and motorcycles, one light didn't cut it. I had a Nitecore HC60 v.2 headlight with a Nitecore E4K in hand, both running. I also had a Nitecore NU10 headlight running on flashing red light strapped to my backpack to avoid getting run over. I had either my older Nitecore HC60 or Acebeam H30 headlight as a backup along with a Nitecore MH10 v.2 flashlight. On that trail, there are sometimes coyotes or wolves that can follow you down the trail as well as mountain lions and bobcats. Sometimes it's best to just turn on a different headlight and flashlight when your batteries die, rather than taking time to stop and change batteries. You don't always have that luxury. Animals or bad weather may prevent it. Hard to change batteries in the pouring rain at night. I also carried a Nitecore NWE30 emergency whistle/beacon. Phone service is spotty at best in an emergency and flares or signal fires are frowned on where both the Cedar and Witch Creek fire originated. I obviously carried spare cells for these lights. I also carried either a Nitecore magnetic lantern/21700/usb charger kit or a Luci Lux Pro lantern (battery bank to charge phone) and a Nitecore Tip 2 for an emergency light. Also a couple usb cords for the phone, Tip 2, and other lights. The hike would usually take 7+ hours from start to finish. On that long of a hike, I bring enough batteries to get through the whole night if needed. I plan for contingencies like carrying a bothy bag, disposable hand warmers, a Integral Designs Silponcho (can be used as a bivy sack), water filter, first aid kit, stove and pot, and spare food and water. If you hike alone, you have to plan better for contingencies. There is nobody with you to run and get help or take care of you if you are injured.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I suppose we all have at least two lights on us if you count the phone flashlight. For most people its their only light.

Yeah, I'm a bit sad that the cell-phone light has become almost universal among everyone now. Used to be that in any given group, the flashaholic was the ONLY person who would have a light of any kind!

Firing up a flashlight during a sudden blackout just doesn't have the same impact when everyone else in the room turns on their cellphone lights also.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Cellphone lights are my mortal enemy! I have tried for well over a decade to get my twins to carry a flashlight. 6P's Z2'2 G2's etc etc. Nothing they will carry them for a few days and then they are left at home and all I get is we have our cell phones we don't need flashlights. I even tried giving them small keychain lights. they're just not interested