One is none

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
To be honest, my experience with Streamlight has been the exact opposite over the years. Mine have been utterly reliable except for two models.

1- Streamlight Nano ~
Avoid at all costs. Whether carried on a carabiner outside a pocket or tucked into a pocket, the head loves to unscrew itself as you walk. Had mine on a carabiner with my house-keys. At work, at night, in the bathroom trailer. Reach down, and something felt off. "Off" being the key word. The head was missing. And of course, so were the button cell batteries. I was so angry! Unclipped it, tossed it in the garbage. The 1-inch lobster claw clip is honestly the best part of the light.

Next day, same trailer, someone found the head and apparently left it for me to find; on top of the hand-dryer.

2- Streamlight NightFighter (Incandescent version) ~
Horrendously awful design that was clearly meant to compete with the SureFire C2. Apparently no one actually put it in their hand before releasing it to the public. Grip-ring, huge, horribly uncomfortable. Clearly designed for some sort of space alien's hand because no human one could use it. And, bizarrely, came with a flush tailcap switch instead of a protruding one. Clip mounted on the ridiculously oversized grip-ring. Thus, making the clip useless. Tried adjusting the position of the grip-ring. Yeah, don't do that! Lost the tiny nut that held it in place. Couldn't find it! Ironically made the light better because without the grip-ring, the N.F. was the shortest 2xCR123 flashlight on the market at that time!

Actually had an opportunity to talk face-to-face with a Streamlight executive. Had heard that a new LED NightFighter was soon to be out. Expressed all of my concerns regarding the incandescent version. Told him I was looking forward to the new design LED version. He acted like he was genuinely interested in my feedback as a customer. Couple of months later, LED version is released. It's the same damn light! Only changes, uses an LED and has two rings on the bezel. Garbage design. Whoever created the N.F. not only deserves to be fired, but sued so the company can get back all of back-pay from him that they are clearly owed. Would honestly love to meet this incompetent moron so I could tell him off. He absolutely deserves it.

So, there you go. Two miserable failures out of over two dozen Streamlights I own. Both due to design flaws.
Your mileage may vary. I am admittedly hard on things and streamlight in certain forms have filled the void. You give me an original stinger ans it will look rough, go through some bulbs and batteries but will still run. You give me one of these new fangled led ones? It just won't hold up. Maglite Magcharger however, has held up against my abuse in all forms. Same with surefire. Not myopic in branding, just my luck has not been there with streamlight.

fulee9999

Enlightened
+1

My experience with Streamlight has also been excellent for many, many years

I bought my first SL-20 in 1985, and have bought numerous other Streamlights over the decades and I will continue to use them, and recommend them

+1 from me for Streamlight as well. My tiny little Protac90 could withstand dumbf... me screwing back the bezel sideways and slightly squishing the metal parts and yet still to this day works perfectly fine. Very satisfied with it. Also probably the best body light you can have in my view, as it runs on CR123, AA, AAA and with a Nitecore diffuser it's a great proximity light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
What's wrong with using a camera flashlight for a flood light? You guys made it seem so taboo. I carry a streamlight 1L-AA, cause it the dual fuel option.
I don't know if I was one of the Debbie Downer's referred to above, but maybe. I admit that I occasionally use my cell phone as a light. Like you said, it is floody. IMO it is so floody, that it may be compared to a mule light. Mules have their purpose, but they are a speciality purpose, and few of us have even one. I think that my cell phone light is good for about 6-8 feet, which honestly is good enough for close up work.

The purpose of carrying an EDC flashlight, besides its general usefulness, is to have it in case of an emergency. In an emergency, it may be better to use the cell phone for communications, and NOT deplete it's energy source by using it as a light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What's wrong with using a camera flashlight for a flood light? You guys made it seem so taboo. I carry a streamlight 1L-AA, cause it the dual fuel option.
A celphone light to CPFrs is like asking chef putting ketchup on a kobee beef steak.
Frankly I've used my celphone light plenty and don't mind sayin' so. Afterall there are ocasions where it was the only practical source of light available. Press and hold from a lock screen versus fumbling around for my flashlight? No brainer but... to rely on that and only that probably isn't a good idea.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A celphone light to CPFrs is like asking chef putting ketchup on a kobee beef steak.
Frankly I've used my celphone light plenty and don't mind sayin' so. Afterall there are ocasions where it was the only practical source of light available. Press and hold from a lock screen versus fumbling around for my flashlight? No brainer but... to rely on that and only that probably isn't a good idea.
Fumbling?? I just reach down and grab whichever flashlight I've got clipped to the top of my pants pocket. No fumbles. 🏈
;)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with Monocrom about being easier to activate a real flashlight than asking Siri, or pulling out a communicator. Not sure it is taboo to use a phone flashlight though; more like an indicator of a lack of preparedness maybe.

By the way, appreciating the absence of frustration with humans on Monocrom's sigline…

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ok, here's an example. Right now I'm typing this on a celphone. If the power suddenly went out, the closest flashlight is 8 feet away... in darkness. I press the power button on my phone briefly and it goes dark. Press again breifly and see a screen with an option of camera or flashlight. Press and hold flashlight icon, light up my path to walk across the room for a flashlight.

Another, I'm driving down the road and drop something on the floor. The vehicle does not have floorboard lighting. The dropped object is large enough to possibly end up being under my break pedal when I need brakes. It's dark and I'm unable to tell where the object ended up resting. I have a flashlight clipped inside my pocket and a celphone on the console to my right. I ease over to the side of the road, pluck flashlight from my pocket but it falls to the floor between the seats. At that point yeah I'm fumbling for a flashlight.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
The thought of going underground with a single light source gives me heebie jeebies. Two is one and one is none as they say. Obviously can't bring 2-3 of everything, but underground = 3 light sources for me.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
Ok, here's an example. Right now I'm typing this on a celphone. If the power suddenly went out, the closest flashlight is 8 feet away... in darkness. I press the power button on my phone briefly and it goes dark. Press again breifly and see a screen with an option of camera or flashlight. Press and hold flashlight icon, light up my path to walk across the room for a flashlight.

Another, I'm driving down the road and drop something on the floor. The vehicle does not have floorboard lighting. The dropped object is large enough to possibly end up being under my break pedal when I need brakes. It's dark and I'm unable to tell where the object ended up resting. I have a flashlight clipped inside my pocket and a celphone on the console to my right. I ease over to the side of the road, pluck flashlight from my pocket but it falls to the floor between the seats. At that point yeah I'm fumbling for a flashlight.

Smart watch is another potential light source. I don't advocate relying on watches and phones, but more options more better. :)

fulee9999

Enlightened

releasing that sentence into the wild just gave Gordon Ramsey's forehead another wrinkle...

but on a serious note, for everyday life I think it's just preferred to have at least some sort of flashlight you can use, so you won't drain you phone which you can use for a myriad other purposes, I'm more inclined to raise a brow when a plumber whips out a pipe wrench, holds the pipe in the other and tries to materialize a third hand for his phone while constantly dropping everything and blinding himself in the process