One is none

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Jeez i need to grab my reading glasses to find my flashlight app on my phone, if i can even find my phone. My life is not centered around my phone. I carry a light more than i carry a phone. Light's always in pocket with simple screw on or forward clicky button push.
Won't lie. My Smartphone is used 99% of the time for watching and making videos on YouTube, during my breaks at work. If it wasn't for that, and if payphones still existed, I'd get rid of it. Just another monthly expense. You buy a flashlight, you don't have to pay to use it each and every month.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ok, here's an example. Right now I'm typing this on a celphone. If the power suddenly went out, the closest flashlight is 8 feet away... in darkness. I press the power button on my phone briefly and it goes dark. Press again breifly and see a screen with an option of camera or flashlight. Press and hold flashlight icon, light up my path to walk across the room for a flashlight.

Another, I'm driving down the road and drop something on the floor. The vehicle does not have floorboard lighting. The dropped object is large enough to possibly end up being under my break pedal when I need brakes. It's dark and I'm unable to tell where the object ended up resting. I have a flashlight clipped inside my pocket and a celphone on the console to my right. I ease over to the side of the road, pluck flashlight from my pocket but it falls to the floor between the seats. At that point yeah I'm fumbling for a flashlight.
First example: Clip-carried flashlight still faster.
Second example: I'd just pull out my back-up light.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree with Monocrom about being easier to activate a real flashlight than asking Siri, or pulling out a communicator. Not sure it is taboo to use a phone flashlight though; more like an indicator of a lack of preparedness maybe.

By the way, appreciating the absence of frustration with humans on Monocrom's sigline…
Not long ago I discovered the 'Show people's signatures with their messages' option in Preferences, and I can't tell you how much removing that tick mark has improved my user experience here!:)

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would never forgo to carry a phone anymore. For emergency purposes or directions it is indispensable. Quite frankly one could argue not carrying one is immoral (unable to call paramedics, police, etc.). That being said I use mine for relatively little. Just calling, some texting, checking e-mail & forums, checking on the weather and occasionally for directions. I use the flashlight app perhaps once a month, or less.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would never forgo to carry a phone anymore. For emergency purposes or directions it is indispensable. Quite frankly one could argue not carrying one is immoral (unable to call paramedics, police, etc.). That being said I use mine for relatively little. Just calling, some texting, checking e-mail & forums, checking on the weather and occasionally for directions. I use the flashlight app perhaps once a month, or less.
Immoral is a stretch. Especially in a heavily populated urban setting surrounded by others, all of whom have cellular phones. And, the disturbing reality of the matter is; just because people around you have phones.... doesn't mean they're going to use them to help you in an emergency. Found that out the hard way one night. The group of young Asian men who gathered around my car after the crash ALL pulled out their Smartphones.

No, not to dial 911. Simply to record the not-so-exciting aftermath of the crash. Silly me, I genuinely thought they had gathered around to check on me. See if a fellow human-being was okay. I even thanked them for doing so. That's when one of them took a step forward and gave me the harsh reality. Letting me know that he and his friends didn't give a damn about me or my safety. They were out partying in Flushing, Queens (my old neighborhood 20 years ago). Saw the crash, and went over to record the aftermath so they could upload the videos to their accounts; for views.

I never forgot that. October 26th, 2019. There's your morality.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I suppose that it could be argued that it is not immoral to not carry a phone. But I personally applaud your convictions.

I carry a first aid kit, traffic wands, fleece and reflective emergency blankets in my car as well as other items that I hope to never need to use. I keep a few fleece overshirts there, that have come to the rescue more than a few times.

As monochrome stated, most bystanders will have a cell phone. I suppose that in most instances, you could call out, assertively, "Call 911" and someone would do it. Well, if it is necessary.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I suppose that in most instances, you could call out, assertively, "Call 911" and someone would do it. Well, if it is necessary.
one thing I've learned from first responders, not only should you say "call 911" because then people might assume the other one is doing it, you should specifically point to someone and say "you, call 911" so then at least one person will know that they will be the one responsible for making a call and you won't be in the situation where a dozen of people or so stand around assuming the other one is making the call while in reality none of them is

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
one thing I've learned from first responders, not only should you say "call 911" because then people might assume the other one is doing it, you should specifically point to someone and say "you, call 911" so then at least one person will know that they will be the one responsible for making a call and you won't be in the situation where a dozen of people or so stand around assuming the other one is making the call while in reality none of them is
Indeed. Single people out to cut through bystander syndrome.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
All this discussion on phones has me curious, does anyone carry a backup phone? 😆 🤣 😂
That was more common about 10 or 15 years ago when phones were smaller. Usually businessmen, and both usually clipped to a belt. One for business calls, the other for personal ones.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I
All this discussion on phones has me curious, does anyone carry a backup phone? 😆 🤣 😂
I do. Like Poppy said, one is for work, one is personal but it's a backup to my work phone if needed.

At one point when signals were spotty one was brand A carrier, the other brand B. And there were times that came in handy because A or B would not have signals where I was but the other would. One day my automatic transmission broke at a place where carrier A did not have signals and carrier B did so I was able to call for a tow truck. Pulled up to a red light and it went "thunk". After that it was stuck in first gear. It was a choice of drive 60 miles home in first gear or have it towed.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I do. Like Poppy said, one is for work, one is personal but it's a backup to my work phone if needed.

At one point when signals were spotty one was brand A carrier, the other brand B. And there were times that came in handy because A or B would not have signals where I was but the other would. One day my automatic transmission broke at a place where carrier A did not have signals and carrier B did so I was able to call for a tow truck. Pulled up to a red light and it went "thunk". After that it was stuck in first gear. It was a choice of drive 60 miles home in first gear or have it towed.
I'd argue that it was no choice. No idea how few miles you can cover in first gear with a full tank, but 60 sounds like really pushing it.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I've seen plenty of work and personal together, kinda a sidestep as thats an unintentional backup since that's not it's main purpose, but quite useful if you have it. Ive also seen people with 4 or more but I would hazard a guess it was for less savory reasons, not just in case. The idea of having 2 different carriers to have different coverage areas, now thats a backup plan. Never thought about it but makes good sense. I could still press my old phone into service because I kept it should I break my current one. I don't throw away or trade in my old one for that reason. It's old enough to not be a primary but not so old as to be non functional if called into service. Happend to my friend recently. Completely broke his and needed a phone immediately, thankfully still had his old one. But it's not an immediate pull it out of my other pocket level backup.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My iPhone has the capability to have 2 different phone numbers, presumably from 2 different carriers (?).

But that does not fulfil the ´one is none if the hardware fails´ criteria.