One Thing I Hate About Flashlight Manufacturers...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

WHY MUST THEY PACKAGE THEIR LIGHTS IN INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT TO OPEN BLISTER PACKAGES???

I have cut myself more than a few times trying to rip open those things. Also, it's hard to keep the packaging intact in case you want to return the darn thing. Can't they have some sort or perforation?

Can anyone recommend a good way to get these things open?

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
I also hate those things with a passion! (and complain about them to the stores - like it will do anything - but I still complain until I'm blue in the face!
wink.gif
)

I don't think there is a good way to save them. I either cut them around the edges (just inside the lip) with scissors or use a knife around the inside edge, which may be better, since there's no dangling plastic to rip your hands on.

If the stores are gonna use these, well they better take 'em back, chopped up and all!

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Artie Choke:
I also hate those things with a passion! (and complain about them to the stores - like it will do anything - but I still complain until I'm blue in the face!
wink.gif
)

I don't think there is a good way to save them. I either cut them around the edges (just inside the lip) with scissors or use a knife around the inside edge, which may be better, since there's no dangling plastic to rip your hands on.

If the stores are gonna use these, well they better take 'em back, chopped up and all!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you guys even have oxy/acetylene outfits to easily open those??
wink.gif

Seriously, I've also found the "scissoring around the edge" technique to be the best, and have had to return a few items to R. Shack et.al. with no problems about getting refunds/exchanges-so far....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You would think the manufacturer would want the package to be easier to open without destroying it because it would make it more appealing to resale if it is returned. But on the other hand it might be intentionally done that way to force the retailer to return it to mfr for repackaging then it can be checked by mfr for defects before it is resold. Oh what do I know, its probably done that way because it's cheaper.
grin.gif

Clint

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
I would say cheaper and to prevent shoplifting. Costco puts these gigantic plastic cases around a box of supplements that's around $50, but how many people are gonna try and lift one of them?!!!
shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VictorC88:
Can anyone recommend a good way to get these things open?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually resort to taking a box knife and slitting the damn thing open.
blush.gif

There should be more packages like the Princeton Tec Impact or the larger Tektite (Expedition) flashlights, where several friction-fit "buttons" hold it together, and it can easily be opened without cuts, without cussing, without mutilating the package, and without giving up and slamming the $*%*^ing thing in the garbage can.

Chas

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, but remember the packaging is to cut down on thief and for you to be able to see what you are getting.

Best Regards,

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You could try some EMT scissors. You could even cut pennies with them(just like in the infomercials).

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm beginning to suspect that the blister package was originally developed by the Al Qaeda terrorist network in an effort to undermine the confidence of American consumers.

All the more reason why we have to get those *******s.

Newly Enlightened
Obviously retailers like blister-weld packs to keep people from screwing with - or - ripping off parts without making a purchase (5 finger discounters).

I use my spyderco very carefully, and tear down one side to get the f%#@$*g things open.

James

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I last used my Benchmade 942 Osborn(very sharp) on the Dorsy pack and it worked O.K. I'll go back to using cable splicers/electrians scissors as they are quite sharp and cut anything from copper and thin steel on down. Remember to save as much as possible of the blister pack as they make a tough lens cover that's free.