Only 5 lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Back in the day I used to cache weapons and other useful gear. I wonder if I should bury some lights in case of theft or fire? Some things just aren't replaceable especially at the prices I paid in the last 2 years. Maglies and Surefire have went through the roof.
The tiny electronics are the issue. With rifles and ammo, caching them and keeping moisture out is easy. Heck, very long-term storage is extremely easy. Put them into the large PVC pipe, then just dump a massive amount of oil until the entire pipe is covered in it. Glue on the second end-cap. Bury the whole thing.

letschat7

Suspended
Well most lights by design(that we have and use) are already waterproof. I was thinking a ziploc bag inside a Peli case for triple water protection. Lithium batteries have same shelf life as ammo it seems.

Before I weas considering a fireproof safe but some YT vids reveal that the contents still get ruined.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well most lights by design(that we have and use) are already waterproof. I was thinking a ziploc bag inside a Peli case for triple water protection. Lithium batteries have same shelf life as ammo it seems.

Before I weas considering a fireproof safe but some YT vids reveal that the contents still get ruined.
Oh no, ammo lasts much longer. You have to carefully inspect it for corrosion. But live rounds, if properly stored, can still be fired nearly 100 years later. That's much better shelf life than batteries. Ziplock bag by itself won't work. You need to get ALL of the air out, first. Vacuum sealed bag will work.

Yeah, those fire-proof safes are a gimmick. Maybe the higher-end ones work. But the cheaper ones are garbage.

letschat7

Suspended
Ammo is a funny thing. If it is corrosive such as what the Russians use then yes it lasts 100 years. Most in USA use noncorrosive that lasts 10 or 20 years reliably and lead free is apparently a lot less.

So lithium is a lot like noncorrosive. I use yellow wrapper Streamlight batteries and they still work. Old Energizers too.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I can do 4 if headlamps don't count:

Quark AA for travel
HDS EDC neutral 120 lm master bedroom
Surefire C2 w/ Malkoff M61NLL garage
Surefire Titan-A EDC

if the headlamps do count then add:
Surfire Minimus MV garage
Zebra H501 travel
Of the list I would drop the HDS to be at 5 but I'll be super sad.

I have many lights I hope to never use; in cars, trucks, boats, gun safe… The ones listed above all consume batteries.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Headlamps count. But any Self Queens don't.
(So, you get to keep all of those.)

fuyume

Enlightened
If you were forced to reduce your collection of lights that you actually use on a regular or semi-regular basis, which 5 would you keep if that was the limit. And, why?

Complete lights only, and those that you've modded into complete lights also count.
I might only own 5 lights.

Let's see. Definitely keeping my Nitecore LA10 CRI, my newest one. Also my Fenix HM23 headlamp and E12 v2.0 flashlight. The three of those are my camping lights. Why them? Because they are all single AA lights and they all work really well. I could wish that Fenix would come out with a version of the E12 with the emitter of the HM23 for better color. I use only Energizer L91s with these.

My EDC is a Nitecore EC11 with a Fenix 16340 rechargeable, and while it isn't perfect, it will do until something that fits my EDC needs better comes along. I would probably have preferred an EA11, but they were already gone when I went to buy one.

And that just leaves my tactical flashlight/bicycle headlight, which is my Fenix PD36 TAC with a Fenix 21700 rechargeable. I'm not including my Cat Eye LED bicycle blinky lights, as those are not really flashlights.

The only problem I'm having right now is that I'd kind of like to have a dedicated tactical flashlight and a separate bicycle headlight, because I tend to leave the PD36 TAC on one or the other of my bicycles, which are kept downstairs. My EC11 does not make a very good tactical flashlight, and if I need a tactical flashlight in the middle of the night, I don't currently have anything readily available.

I'm thinking of a Fenix TK22 TAC (same light, same UI, same 21700 battery, different/newer emitter and bigger reflector head), and if I get it, it will probably become the bicycle light, while the PD36 TAC will be the tactical light, because the bigger reflector gives it better throw, while the smaller reflector is easier to handle with something else in my other hand.

But, I'm also considering maybe the Nitecore P10iX tactical floodlight, and leaving the PD36 TAC as my bicycle light.

If I absolutely had to get rid of one of the other lights to make it only 5 total, it would be the E12 v2.0 that would go, since it's slightly redundant with the LA10 CRI and HM23.

Oh, I guess, technically, I have another light, my old EDC Nite-Ize Inova X1 (single AA), which I now use as a kitchen table light for utility purposes around the house, and I would still want to keep an "around the house" flashlight, so I guess I can't really get buy with only 5. I need 6 or 7.

Last edited:

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
That's pretty easy, but it would be less than 5. My "big" flashlight would be my 3 C Maglite ML50L - super bright, easily replicable batteries and can be used as a pretty effective impact tool if necessary. My second would be my Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA; it can run off 1 CR123 or 1 AA OR 1 AAA in a pinch! It carries easily in my pocket, is bright and the UI can be programmed to your desires. My last one would be the humble Mini Maglite. I'd probably choose the LED version but wouldn't pass up on the original. These things are pretty much eternal and I've never been able to kill one (I've lost many, but never broken one - except for bulbs). I've always had one or more around since the late 80's and it might be a sentimental thing.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's pretty easy, but it would be less than 5. My "big" flashlight would be my 3 C Maglite ML50L - super bright, easily replicable batteries and can be used as a pretty effective impact tool if necessary. My second would be my Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA; it can run off 1 CR123 or 1 AA OR 1 AAA in a pinch! It carries easily in my pocket, is bright and the UI can be programmed to your desires. My last one would be the humble Mini Maglite. I'd probably choose the LED version but wouldn't pass up on the original. These things are pretty much eternal and I've never been able to kill one (I've lost many, but never broken one - except for bulbs). I've always had one or more around since the late 80's and it might be a sentimental thing.
No headlamp?

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Sure does! :)
The clip works both ways...I was a month ago old when I figured that out (I'm a bit thick sometimes 🙄 )

1718796095041.png

sambob223

Newly Enlightened
As far as the ATFF(Alcohol,Tobacco,Firearms and Flashlights) Is concerned all of that was lost In a tragic boating accident 10 years ago...that's my story and I'm stickin to It.
Lost In the disaster were:
Maglite: ML150l (replaced my ML25 In the center counsel Of my car better runtime.)
ML300l (69hrs runtime on ECO mode
Trunite: TH10 (My first good headlamp)
TH20 (Fell in love with firefly mode)
T30s (My 1st good flashlight).

drunktank

Newly Enlightened
Modlite 18350 body with PL350C head - it's my new backup & admin light and has replaced my Surefire Backup MV.

Petzl Swift RL - headlamp for work and camping. The reactive lighting is nice and prolongs my battery life.

Surefire EDC2-DFT - My EDC. I like the reliability and candela. Sometimes run the head on a Modlite 18650 or 18350 body as l prefer having Thyrm Switchbacks on my lights.

Modlite HOG with boost adapter and dual mode PlhV2 head - My work light and gives me around a 7 hour runtime.

Convoy L7 - my camping/mountain light when I want to light up the tree lines. Also my bedside club, I mean light.

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
Of the lights that I currently own
1. Surefire 6P with EDC+ drop-in, Oveready bored for 18650. Or my Malkof MD2 with M361 drop-in. I'd be equally happy with either one, I alternate between the two of them for my EDC. I might favor the 6P just slightly, because it is a little more flexible for drop-in choices.
2. Fenix HL50 headlamp
3. Maglite ML50LX with a 21700 adapter
4. Fenix E12 just a nice small single AA light
5. Solarforce L2M with a low voltage drop-in and a 2AA sleeve. This one might be cheating a bit because I can remove the sleeve and spacer(s) and have a 1xCr123, or 1x18650 light.

If I could have a sixth, I would probably add my Sofirn HS20 headlamp.

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Surefire KE1D-A head on a E2L body. Decent throw & big hotspot, nice white tint, reliable 2 level light. But, most importantly runs AA batteries. Keep it with a box of Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries.

Skilhunt H04 RC headlamp with 519a 4500k & pebbled tir lens. Headlamp with lovely tint and nice floody beam for working on car, projects or walking outdoors. But really any headlamp with decent tint, efficiency and floody beam would do.

Olight Warrior 3S, great efficiency, very bright, good throw, moonlight mode. Tactical light and durable, great build quality. Alternatives: Surefire EDCL-2T, Malkoff MD2 M61 HOT with hi/low ring or Fenix PR36R Pro.

Ra Clicky, just a great light, probably my favorite and lovely golden tint.

Olight Baton 3 Pro. Probably my most used light as its my work light and perfect size for pocket with 2 way clip, compact for 18650 light & pocket friendly (doesn't shred & comfortable, deep carry). Plenty bright and nice floody beam with large hotspot for close work. Also really like the magnetic tail cap and I have literally dropped 50+ times but it just shrugs it off. Alternative to this would be Zebralight SC600 or SC64 with a neutral emiter. Love Zebralights and their size/brightness/efficiency but can never keep them. For some reason I lose all my Zebralights & they are expensive/ish and sometimes hard to find in stock.

1000009488.jpg
1000009492.jpg
1000009495.jpg

On a side note can anyone help me identify this emiter? I bought this Clicky modified with this led. Has decent throw, golden tint with slight rosiness.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore HC60 v.2 headlight- best floody, trail running headlight I've found. Good settings for all purposes.

Nitecore Tip 2 flashlight- small, bright, tough built, multiple hands free options

Nitecore E4K flashlight- brightest, smallest light I've found so far that is pocketable. Adaptable for tactical use, but good for all other uses except for long throw.

Nitecore NWL20 21700 Worklight- just ordered it. 600 lumen floodlight on one 21700 with a spotlight as well. Multiple carry and setup options. Good for working on a car, strapping to the back of a backpack as a red flasher, strapping to the front strap of a backpack as a chest light, using on the ground as an area light, or clipping to a tree or cord for overhead lighting.

Luci Lux Pro solar lantern/power bank-Warm white light for comfort in tent camping. Solar powered for backpacking and emergencies. Can charge a cell phone or other device, or light.

All lights have rechargeable options. Two are 21700, 1 is 18650, and two lighter ones are built in. Worklight has built in 21700 charger. E4K uses USB-C rechargeable 21700 batteries. E4K comes with a 18650 sleeve. Can use that in Worklight to charge 18650s if need be if charger in headlight fails. Have redundancy for both types of batteries and ability to use either should I run out of one type sooner than the other.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 64548

On a side note can anyone help me identify this emiter? I bought this Clicky modified with this led. Has decent throw, golden tint with slight rosiness.
This is clearly XPG2, excellent flashlight!

My list is like this:
Malkoff HD 18650XT
Malkoff MDC AA
HDS Executive
McGzimo Haiku
CoolFall Spy007

They are all very cool and reliable, the first 4 cover all needs (3 and 4 duplicate each other), and the 5th is simply wonderful

civic77

Newly Enlightened
This is clearly XPG2, excellent flashlight!

My list is like this:
Malkoff HD 18650XT
Malkoff MDC AA
HDS Executive
McGzimo Haiku
CoolFall Spy007

They are all very cool and reliable, the first 4 cover all needs (3 and 4 duplicate each other), and the 5th is simply wonderful
Thanks for the led identification. Wow, nice lights. I have never owned a Spy or McGizmo before but maybe some day..

Latest posts