opalec newbeam headlight?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Find a headlamp that takes a bi-pin bulb and voila!

Or, carefully break the glass out of a PR-Bulb and connect somehow (Via wire/solder I suppose) the Bi-pins from the Opalec to the headlamp.

This is all assuming your headlamp is 3V.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Easiest: use the normal headstrap used with the MiniMag (or make one). The light sits above your ear instead of on top or in front but it works.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
I rember reading a thread a while back saying the newbeam will take more then 6V. Can anybody confirm that? I'm thinking about puting a newbeam into my petzl duo headlamp.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite the easiest, but it'll work: Use one of the Rayovac Kids headlamps (despite the name it's suprisingly good quality). It uses a minimag bi-pin bulb. Drill out the reflector, cut the black posts off the newbeam, put it in the bulb socket and glue it in place.

Here's the same headlamp, but with a luxeon mod:

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/mods/adventureLite_headlamp_mod.htm

JRT

Newly Enlightened
Go to WalMart and get the Rayovac Kid's AdventureLite for $5.97.

Take off the lens bezel revealing the bulb and socket. If you take the two screws out of the black plate, you can slip the Newbeam's pins into the pin sockets on a slight angle without any other changes. The pins will fit well enough.

Don't cut the legs off the Newbeam and you can move it to a MiniMag later if nec.
cool.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The legs on the opalec are longer than the bi-pin connectors - I'm pretty sure they'll have to be removed unless you drill out the black plate. Of course that would probably be the best solution.

opalec_newbeam_after.jpg

Uh oh... I'm getting the "modding" urge again!
tongue.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I'm waiting for a top notch headlamp and until SF comes out with a Nitrolon one, I think we should sic McGizmo on this project.
grin.gif
He has a proven track record of fiddling and tinkering with success!!
tongue.gif

JRT

Newly Enlightened
Quickbeam, the plastic pins are longer than the copper ones, but if you remove the black plastic plate there is enough clearance alongside the copper strips that form the pin sockets to insert the copper pins into the sockets, try it. You do have to rotate the module slightly counter-clockwise as you insert it.
I'm sure that cutting the plastic pins and gluing the module is stonger, but this technique will withstand enough rough service, and requires no permanent alterations.
I'll try to post pictures tonight.
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Chuen:
I rember reading a thread a while back saying the newbeam will take more then 6V. Can anybody confirm that?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can confirm that. So will Opalec if you drop them a line. BUT, it is designed for 3V, and I think they said it's good for up to 7V or something like that. Don't take my word for it though, check it out with Opalec first. Also remember that it will NOT be any brighter with higher voltage.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
JRT - as soon as I can make a trip to Wallyworld I'll give it a shot too. I'm going to drill 2 holes in the black plate to match the pegs on the Oplaec so the Opalec just slips right in. Then just carve out the reflector and it's done!

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
I did this mod last week, much as Quickbeam is describing, and drilled 2 holes through the black plastic backplate, and smoothed off the little raised portions of the black backplate. The only problem you run into is the raised mounting block that's cast into the main body must be drilled into as well, and care must be taken not to disrupt the spring clips/contacts that hold the bi-pin bulb in place (this will make more sense once you open up the headlight). Make sure not to drill the holes for the plastic Opalec legs too big, so that it says put once it's in there, then drill out the reflector. It's a fun mod, so enjoy the process
wink.gif
!

As for the brightness, it's not quite as bright as my Princeton Tec Aurora, when the Aurora is on it's highest setting.

Using the Opalec doesn't make for the most cost-effective mod, but since the rest of the ingredients list is only $5.oo more, it's not so bad, I guess. A Streamlight Septor costs about the same, and is gonna give you lots more light, with the option to use 1, 3, or all 7 LEDs at once...but all that without voltage regulation/constant output (a feature I've come to LOVE since aquiring my Opalec).

Cheers!

JRT

Newly Enlightened
Well, I finally found batteries hot enough to take a couple of pics:

photos

You really can test it without permanent alterations.
grin.gif