Sold/Expired Open! MT-G2 Regulated 2x18350 Lights! (Preorder)

ledmitter_nli

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK my thoughts. I'm going to compare this to my favorite 5.6A quad XP-G2 [R4-3C warm] dropin since it's my current benchmark ultrabright pocket rocket :D

I'm not going to post pictures for the simple reason the light is currently dissected. I've tried converting it into a thrower by dedoming the Noctogon copper mounted MT-G2, that didn't work and I'll order another Noctogon to replace it. I may post pictures of the pill and the reflector later to show the great quality of the builders workmanship.

My particular build featured the Convoy M2 host. It needs 2 cells in order to feed the MT-G2 the 6 volts 3.0A it needs. It's a PWM driver and there was no discernible PWM unless I dropped to a med level and waved the light as fast as I can staring at it (but who really uses a light like that?) Mode selection featured 100% high 70% med and 100% strobe. I tested using 2X Effest 800mAh 18350 IMR's which are quite possibly the longest rated 18350 IMR's currently available.

The run time on high is aprox. 18 min 28 seconds before the light dropped into low voltage warning mode (5% output with warning blink). I'm sure Med will run quite a bit longer.

Lumens out-the-front at 3A is around 1,900-2,000 lumens whereas my Kerberos 5.6A quad is about 1,600-1,700 (XP-G2 R4 bin has less lumens than R5 at 1,750+). The MT-G2 gave a giant hotspot with no donut holes or sharp rings. Very well matched reflector.

The Convoy's head reaches a too hot to touch temperature of about 140 degree's in 5 minutes. I gave it 4 min 20 seconds before throwing it onto a fan. But 5 min is close. The tail end of the body was about 125 degrees. The SureFire C2's head with the Kerberos quad XP-G2 reaches 140 degrees in about 6 minutes with a bit more evenly distributed heat throughout the body. The C2 is a heftier host though.

I've had no problems with the Convoy's tailcap with these current levels. It's a med press click, momentary presses to change modes with last mode memory.

Overall the Convoy host is supah nice! about the size of a SureFire 6P. It's compact with uniform anodizing, however one negative is it doesn't appear very water resistant. The O rings offer little friction when screwing down. Installing thicker O rings on the body will fix that. Otherwise, be careful with the stock Convoy M2 around water. This negative is a limitation on the host and not the builder. There aren't many host options out there that accommodate the drivers afterall.

The 5,000K MT-G2 is a whiter light than your typical XM-L2 5,000K. I've said it before, I think it's CREE's nicest emitter, just a notch lower in color rendering than the Nichia 219.

CandlePower nuts will like this light for what it is. A pocketable MT-G2 showoff light to demonstrate this new emitters power. It will be the brightest current regulated pocket rocket you will own. Oh and did I say it fits in your pocket? :D

Personal note: The builder has probably broke even considering all the material costs $22 copper MT-G2 Noctogon $28 Convoy host $9 driver + shipping, and, having to sacrifice a few emitters already. Everyone keep that in mind going forward with this project.

Last edited:
darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Ledmitter, thank you for taking all of those temperature measurements and posting your thoughts about the build quality of the light! It is much appreciated.

Ok guys, I didn't have enough time earlier to type out an explanation for why I was closing orders for the time being. The big drive for me to make these lights was a desire to create a crazy bright single emitter light that was pocketable, which is why I focused on 2x IMR 18350 as the power source. The problem arose around this emitter's voltage requirement, and the fact that a host meant for this particular emitter basically needs to be created from scratch (which is what Crelant, Niwalker, etc. did). However, there was still no new host for the 2x 18350 power source I wanted to use, which leaves me with modifying hosts that already exist.

The M2 and T10B hosts are both designed around 18650 cells, and relatively short ones at that. In order for both lights to be compatible with 2x 18350, I have to trim the tailspring to keep it from putting too much pressure on the batteries. In fact, the springs in both lights are tight on even a single protected 3400 18650. In the M2, this doesn't lead to much of a problem since it is only meant to run from 2x 18350. However, this creates a problem with the T10B which can be operated from either 2x 18350 or 2x 18650. With the extension installed, the T10B only operates on the longer 18650s. For example the protected panasonic 3400s which I test the light with.

That is the problem with the T10B that is being worked on right now. My issue with the M2 light is that I need to raise the price in order to justify the amount of work being put into it. Cost of parts for the M2 is between $60 and $65; which means that I do 3 to 4 hours of work for $25 or $30. The work takes a long time as I posted previously, because nearly every part of the host has to be modified. Having said all of that, I will continue to offer the M2 host, but for a tentative cost of $160 plus shipping.

Once I get the issue with the T10B switch resolved, I will reopen the sales in this thread and have a modified pricing schedule listed up front. Also, I will have to continue doing this as a preorder, as I do not have the funds available to purchase parts for half a dozen lights at a time.

Thanks for your understanding everyone!

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Update:

It appears that the issue with the T10 and T10B tailcaps is the spring. The stock spring is very long and very strong, so it must be trimmed in order to function with 2x 18350. The downside is that when the T10B is used with an extension, the spring is not long enough to function with 2x IMR 18650. The 18650 batteries that it works with range in size from 69 to 71mm; I was unaware of the issue because I tested the light with panasonic protected 3400s which are long enough to function with the shortened spring.

I have contacted Hank at IOS to see if there is a way to have a softer long spring installed on the switch. If Hank is unable to, I will have to find a softer spring to modify the switch with.

Thanks for sticking with me!
Zach

Last edited:
T

texas cop

Enlightened
The T10B host, that you built is currently getting daily use. I'm having no issues after adjusting for battery length. Mine is almost always in the 2-18350 mode. Of your three host this one seems the balance of size, mass and reflector diameter needed for the MT-G2 led. On the switch spring issue you could try annealing a spring on one of the switches to see if it softens enough. To anneal you heat it to a near glow then let it air cool this tends to soften up most metals. Granted you my have to solder the spring back on, or find a way to balance it upside down while heating it up. Possible use a paper clip to hold it on. Just a quick blow torching of the end then let cool. I don't know how the Gold plating will hold up.

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your light and that it is seeing so much use! Also, thank you for the tip regarding the annealing of the spring; if I had skill with a blowtorch I would definitely take a crack at it. Since I don't, for now I will have to be satisfied with going through the spring bins at my local hardware store to see what I can find.

Zach

The T10B host, that you built is currently getting daily use. I'm having no issues after adjusting for battery length. Mine is almost always in the 2-18350 mode. Of your three host this one seems the balance of size, mass and reflector diameter needed for the MT-G2 led. On the switch spring issue you could try annealing a spring on one of the switches to see if it softens enough. To anneal you heat it to a near glow then let it air cool this tends to soften up most metals. Granted you my have to solder the spring back on, or find a way to balance it upside down while heating it up. Possible use a paper clip to hold it on. Just a quick blow torching of the end then let cool. I don't know how the Gold plating will hold up.

ledmitter_nli

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK some pics. Check this out :D

Convoy M2 host next to an 18650 for size comparison:

m8eopj.jpg

Unscrewed bezel showing the pill assembly

2r23ivp.jpg

of7url.jpg

2rcsrc1.jpg

The MT-G2 after my fail de-dome attempt :D

dfg5kg.jpg

If the dome was in place you would notice a perfectly seated reflector around the dome.

High quality work. Thumbs up to Zach. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

ledmitter_nli

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and forgot the tailcap. Nice and solid. Two 18350's seat perfectly inside the light.

4shfsn.jpg

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Wow those are some awesome shots Ledmitter! Thank you for taking the time to upload them! They make me realize I need to get a decent camera. The dedome looks interesting; is that a little bit of phosphor on the left side? Does the rest of the diode light up blue? What do you think of the crenelated bezel; I remember you initially wanted the smooth one.

As an update to the thread:
I've been in contact with Hank at IOS regarding the tailspring issue in the T10B host. He emailed me today about another spring he has access to that he thinks would work better. Once that situation gets figured out and tested, I'll open up for orders on that light. I will also be continuing to offer the M2 as a build option, but for a higher price. I will update the thread on wednesday with the new information.

EDIT: Ohaya, your inbox is full :)

Zach

Last edited:
ledmitter_nli

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with more than 50% of the perimeter ripped out of the phosphor bed it's still brighter than my XM-L2 lights and gets HOT lolz.

2py2sth.jpg

jryxrk.jpg

It's now an angry purple light with a neutral center :D. Definetly more concentrated hotspot dedomed.

16h82eo.jpg

Still useful light

1ypwyw.jpg

:D

O

ohaya

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Sorry about the full inbox. Should be ok now.

Also, re. dedoming MT-G2, the way I did it (not on Zach's light) was to use gasoline. Puncture the dome 1st (I used the point of a tweezer) carefully, then drop the emitter PCB+MT-G2 into the gasoline and then wait. The dome should float off after several hours. Some people have noted that it took some of the phosphors off of their MT-G2s, but the one I did came out almost perfectly.

ledmitter_nli

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, re. dedoming MT-G2, the way I did it (not on Zach's light) was to use gasoline. Puncture the dome 1st (I used the point of a tweezer) carefully, then drop the emitter PCB+MT-G2 into the gasoline and then wait. The dome should float off after several hours. Some people have noted that it took some of the phosphors off of their MT-G2s, but the one I did came out almost perfectly.

Has anyone tried a soak in WD-40? It has a million uses. I seriously wonder.

Last edited:
ledmitter_nli

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some more pics of the "dedomed" version in hand to give a sense of size. :D

16absso.jpg

bhgnrr.jpg

2hg61w8.jpg

This is the only MT-G2 regulated light that's this size in existence. And with a nice build and components to boot! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Thanks again for all of those great photos Ledmitter!

I've updated the OP to reflect that I am open for preorders of the M2 based light. I am still working on solving the issue with the T10B, and will update this thread as I progress. I am currently waiting on the arrival of some new springs to test out. There are also a couple of other MT-G2 based projects that I am working on that I have not yet finalized. Stay tuned!

Zach

ledmitter_nli

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
By all means feel free to use the photos on the OP as well. BTW the updated price is excellent.

Last edited:
darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
By all means feel free to use the photos on the OP as well. BTW the updated price is excellent.

Thank you for allowing me to use your photos! Hopefully I will be able to update the OP this weekend with the new pictures. I will also be paring down the sales portion itself; I know my post is pretty "bloated." Also, thank you for your input on the updated price.

Regarding the T10B switch issue: I'm still waiting on the arrival of some new springs and hosts to test. For now, it seems that the spring problem is taken care of by using a different forward click switch that comes with a softer spring. I would still like to wait to test the items coming to me before taking any new orders on this particular host though.

Zach

Last edited:
darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Hey all, clearly i have not had a chance to update the sales portion of this thread; my schedule has gotten in the way. I will get to it soon!

I am also still waiting on the replacement springs for the T10b hosts to see if it solves the tail switch issue.

Finally, i have also ordered a couple of different 2x 18650 hosts to test out with this giant emitter :) Hopefully they will be here by they end of the week.

Zach

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I received the new replacement springs for the t10 tail cap this morning. I plan to test them out tomorrow and Wednesday morning, and will post my findings afterwards. Also, i will hopefully have time over the next two days to reorganize the OP.

Thanks!

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
OP updated with a couple of awesome photos from ledmitter nli!

I will start testing the new tail springs for the T10(B) hosts tomorrow.

Zach

O

ohaya

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I was one of buyers from the first set of lights that darkknightlight built, with the T10B host and 3.5 (possibly 4.5 amps) driver. I've been meaning to post about the light, but things have been a bit busy for me, so apologies for the late post.

The T10B host comes with an extension tube, so with this build, you can use the light either without the tube and 2 x 18350s, or, with the tube, 2 x 18650s. It also comes with a grip ring and a small cosmetic ring.

When used in the shorty mode, I use the grip ring. When used in the 2 x 18650 mode, I use the cosmetic ring to cover the gap between the tubes, and the grip ring on the end, between the extension tube and the tailcap.

It also has stainless or aluminum bezel and tailcap rings, which make the light very attractive.

Overall, a pretty cool host/light with flexible configurations :)!

The light, as it originally came, worked (and still works) perfectly in the shorty mode with 2 x 18350s, and, it's kind of amazing to have a full-power MT-G2 light that's pocketable. In this mode, it's about the same size as an SF L2P, maybe about 1/2" longer than the L2P. Truly amazing to see an MT-G2 light that small :)!

As I said, with the extension tube, you can use 2 x 18650s.

Originally, as Zach has mentioned, I had some problems in the 2 x 18650 configuration... it'd work with some pairs of batteries, but not others. At first, I thought that it was protected vs. unprotected batteries, but after a lot of testing, but after working with Zach for awhile, I think that the main problem was the length and strength of the tailcap spring.

Zach sent me a couple of different springs to try, but in the end, I found a long, but not too strong, spring that seemed to work with almost every battery pair I tried.

My understanding is that Zach has been working with Hank from IOS to find a better spring, but for me, I already have a light that works pretty well in both shorty mode and 2 x 18650 mode with almost all batteries, so I'm golden :)...

As mentioned in other earlier posts, Zach has done a really good job with "the details" of the light...

The MT-G2 emitter in my light is centered perfectly in the reflector. He's also done some pretty innovative things adapting the IOS 3.5/4.5 amp driver to work with the T10B, and has been tremendous to work with... very patient with all of my requests, including a somewhat late request to get a different mode sequence than originally offered (L-M-H instead of H-M-L), and has made my "buying experience" very good for this purchase.

Overall, a great light, and great service! What else could you ask for :)?

Later,
Jim

EDIT: I forgot to add some numbers:

Tailcap current: 4.4 amps (using 2 x 18650, laptop pulls)

Lux at 1m: 14271 (14.27 Klux)

Lux is ok, not great, but this light, with the MT-G2 emitter, whether in shorty mode or 2 x 18650 mode simply lights up an entire space...

Last edited:
darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Ohaya, thanks for posting your thoughts on the light! And of course, thank you for the compliments :)

I've tested the new springs on the switches, and found that they are basically the same as the stock spring. While i figure out the best possible solution for the tail spring issue, I've also ordered a couple more hosts to test with this emitter. I'll post my findings once I've finished with them.

Zach