Sold/Expired Open! MT-G2 Regulated 2x18350 Lights! (Preorder)

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread! I've received the two alternate hosts I mentioned earlier; unfortunately one of them is a no-go (the driver space isn't great). The other one requires more modification that I originally thought, so it is taking me a bit longer to finish; it should be a screamer when I'm done with it though.

I've largely been spending time "troubleshooting" the T10 and T10B hosts. What I've found is less an issue with the host, and more of an issue with driver and battery combinations. The main issue lies in going from 2x18350 to 2x18650 in the T10B host. From now on I will just list the batteries that I know work with a given driver.

Also, I will be trying to purchase parts for a few lights and then sell them after they are assembled. I don't particularly like doing this as a preorder, and I know most people prefer not to pay for an item then wait for over a month for it to arrive. Thanks for sticking with me through this!

Zach

T

texas cop

Enlightened
Good to see you still at it.

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
So I've tested tested the MTG2 in a direct drive format from two IMR AW 18650! Here is the link: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?372850-MT-G2-direct-drive-mag-mod

I was waiting to assemble my new "screamer" light until I got some conclusive results from the above direct drive mod. Well I began assembly of the regulated screamer, but realized that I don't have enough potting material on hand to finish :whistle: More material should be here in the next couple days. Sorry for the delay! I will update as soon as I receive the additional materials.

Zach

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Re: MT-G2 Regulated 2x18350 Lights! (Preorder)

Sorry to let this thread hang without an update for so long. I've received more thermal potting material, and will be potting a pretty powerful driver tonight. As I had mentioned a little over a week ago, my plan was to stock enough parts on hand for a few lights, then sell them after they've been assembled. Unfortunately, I found out a few days ago that the T10 and T10B hosts have been discontinued by their manufacturer. I have been looking around, and have found a host that is aesthetically very similar to those discontinued hosts, but is larger. It is a 2x26650 light, with approximately a 42mm reflector. I will be ordering one of those to see how friendly it plays with the MT-G2.

D

donn_

Flashaholic

You might want to take a look at the Solarforce K3 MT-G2 head. It's regulated, with three levels, and also has a 42mm reflector which is fairly deep. It's made for Surefire (etc.) series bodies.

I just got a Vinhnguyen54 version of it today, de-domed emitter and boosted current to the emitter. Here it is on a Bigleef 2x26500 body:

It's a scorcher, with a gorgeous tint.

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened

Thanks for the info, donn! I'm a little familiar with that head, and I definitely like its design. I also really like how you've got yours set up; 26650s should get you some good runtime.
How many amps does the led see after Vinh's mod?

darkknightlight

darkknightlight

Enlightened

Woah, just had a close call. I was working on a 2x18350 DD MTG2 light, and I think there was an issue with the partition board. Got the led mounted, wires soldered to the led and partition board properly, installed the pill in the light, put batteries in, hit the switch and...nothing. Took the batteries out of the light and they almost burned my hand. They made their way into my fire container real fast. I used the diode function on my multimeter to test the led and its fine. The switch is also fine. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the positive and negative contacts of the partition board were touching... just can't visibly see how. I'll have to order some different partition boards from another vendor. Sorry I don't have more to report!

Edit: Just realized I do have more. The potting of the other new driver I am using in the overdriven light is still curing, so I'll have to wait another day to get it completely assembled.

D

donn_

Flashaholic

Thanks for the info, donn! I'm a little familiar with that head, and I definitely like its design. I also really like how you've got yours set up; 26650s should get you some good runtime.
How many amps does the led see after Vinh's mod?

I believe he boosted it to 3.4A, with 2x 18650s. I'm running 26500s at the moment, but can move up to 26650s if I wish.