Open the Nitecore D10

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Well I got the snap ring out, but the module was so tight I couldn't get it to screw out and I put lots of torque on it. Had it slip off the tool once.

I added a few scratches to the inside of the head at the threads. Gave up once the tool slipped as I'm not willing to screw up my brand new light. Light still works upon reassemble. Those visible components on the back of the board scare me. Too much chance of popping one off if the tool slips.

This is definitely NOT a piece of cake even if you know the trick.
:candle:

well.. i failed at this stage too. i could hear the glue breaking but.. i was exerting way too much force on it too. any slip and one of the electronics is sure to get scratched off :eek: so i have to stop here.. :mecry: any tools on DX to recommend to get the module off?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small scissors works well if you pull the driver up. The driver on mine was not epoxied, and pulled up very easily with a pick. That allowed me to fit a small scissors into the slots, and turn the module out easily. Just be careful not to break the wires! :D

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Anyone feel like trying a SSC swap? I would do it myself, but I don't have any other Nitecore than my NDI. Since the NDI is the one light I have that manages a nice beam with a Cree, I won't bother changing its emitter.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be swapping the standard cree for a Q3-5A as soon as I have the emitter and my new soldering rig :D
I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures :D

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took apart the head for some measurements, and took some pics while I was at it :D

Click for larger :D

Module was glued in

Way too much thermal grease :eek:

The side

The bottom

I may start a new thread as a "How To" type of thing, when I get all my supplies for my mod., I'll link to it here if I do.

Edwood

Enlightened
Anyone have pics of opening up an EX10?

Is the reflector threaded in the D10?

-Ed

Edwood

Enlightened
Thanks, couldn't tell from the small pic in post #1. Couldn't tell if it was a spring like the one around the module.

Is the Reflector threaded in the EX10? Doesn't sound like it from what I've been hearing, but I haven't seen a pic posted of the EX10's innards yet.