Opinion on Ultra-Stinger??

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Now that my buy for a SureFire 8AX went south...Does anyone have a Ultra-stinger that can give their opinion on it? Streamlight claims 75,000 candlepower just because of the change in the reflector assembly. Does that seem to be true? Especially those that had the Super-Stinger and then upgraded should know. And I know it's not a Surefire, but how is the beam quality on the Ultra-Stinger? Thanks all.

redbird

Enlightened
I have both a Surefire 8x and streamlight ultrastinger. The streamlight is much brighter. The beam does have some minor rings when used at wide settings but I use in mostly focused narrowly and find no problem with it.

In my usage it depends on the application I am going to. When I want the brightest possible or even as a light to checkout street addresses, the Ultra is my light of choice.

I always carry my E2 along with the 8x and Ultra in the truck

Size15's

Flashaholic
Can you give some detail about the differences between the SureFire 8X and StreamLight UltraStinger?

Size & Shape
Beam size and intensity

It seems to me that these are totally different flashlights for different uses. Just how big is the UltraStinger's Reflector?
(please give it in millimetres as well as inches)

Thanks

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

so it does sound like that the ultra-stinger does hit that 75,000 candlepower range. yeah, please give the dimension of ultra-stinger. The head/reflector seems huge in camparison to the rest of the body. And will the ultra-stinger be able to fit into the charging cradle of the regular stingers? I have a stinger XT.

redbird

Enlightened
The Ultra will fit and work in the regular stinger charger. I bought just the light alone since we already had 3 stingers and didnt need additional chargers.

I will try to get the other information and post it shortly.

I really like the Ultra for reaching out greater distances.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Redbird,
Since you bought the new Ultra Stinger and already have regular Stingers...I would be interested to know if the Ultra Stinger head will fit and work on the Regular Stinger flashlight. I understand that Steamlight sells the Ultra Stinger head upgrade for the super Stinger. I would by this Ultra Stinger head upgrade kit if I knew if worked just as bright on a regular Stinger. I'm sure the battery would not last as long thought. Care to try it for me to see if it works?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

That is a great ideal!!! I didn't even think about that. Yeah, please do try and let us know.

kb0rrg

Enlightened
I e-mailed streamight about doing that. They said it would not work because the super stinger is a higher voltage than the regular stinger. I don't own either, but maybe the ultra stinger head could be used to improve the focus and beam quality.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hahha, very BIG.
grin.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the Ultrastinger head will fit on a regular Stinger, but the bulb opening on the reflector is a lot bigger than the Stinger bulb. The Ultrasinger uses a bi-pin bulb, but it's much bigger than the bulb in a stinger or ultrastinger. Here's some specs::

Ultrastinger: 6V/1.8AH batt.; 6v/10watt bulb
Superstinger: 6V/1.8AH batt.; 6.3v/10w bulb
Stinger: 3.6v/1.8AH batt.; 3.7v/6w bulb.

The battery stick uses sub-c cells, so it wouldnt be hard to make a NIMH stick, with 3000MAH cells...

--dan

redbird

Enlightened
Well, that didnt take long at all. At a quick glance it would appear that they would interchange but, the Ultra has a MUCH larger bulb. The regular stinger seems like a pumped up minimag bulb.

The ultra is about 11.5" long with the battery portion about 9.5" and about 1" around. The lens area is about 2.25" across x 1.5" deep. I use the tight focus mainly and find that way there is minimal if any rings.

I hope this helps everyone

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks!

So basically, it's like the SureFire 12PM but about 2.5" longer... That's big.

Can anyone compare the UltraStinger to the 12PM or any of SureFire's TurboHead Models?

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, but one has to factor in the price difference. SureFires are nice, but if you compare the price and measure in the quality, plus the cost of operation (replacement battery stick, bulbs, etc...) I think Ultra-Stinger wins hands down. Personally, I rather pay half as much for the Ultra-stinger and deal with the slight imperfection beam than twice as much to get a surefire 12pm for a "near" perfect beam. I think you guys helped decide. Thanks

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ok now that we know the head is big...

Lets see if the Ultra Stinger head works on the Regular Stinger.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's unfair, you can not compare the 12PM to an UltraStinger!

For a start, the 12PM is designed for a very specific purpose, and runs on DL123As.

Compare the UltraStinger to the 10X or the 9ANKT or the 8AXKT (if SureFire make a highoutput KT Lamp for it)

The difference between the 12PM and the UltraStinger in terms of output is likely to be huge since the 12PM has a ~20Watt Lamp whilst the the UltraStinger has a ~10Watt Lamp.

Just as if I was considering a SureFire over an UltraStinger, I wouldn't write-off the UltraStinger without getting more details on it's beam etc or trying it out in "real" life.

One of the things that the UltraStinger really needs is a rapidcharger, and additional batteries as standard.

Al

redbird

Enlightened
To add a little more to the mix, I just compared both lights with fresh batteries. The Ultra wins hands down and is about twice as bright and the main light area is twice as large at 20'

Latest posts