Opinions on a vintage unopened surefire?

flashboy

Newly Enlightened
So I recently acquired a surefire 8nx brand new sealed in the box. Box dated 2001. Should I keep this sealed and just collect or open and try to use? I only got it cause it was cheap and rarely see such lights at the local estate sales. I myself have mostly been using leds since around the time this was made.

3_gun

Enlightened
I'd leave it to the collectors. At this point even unused batteries from that far back may be bad & I don't know if SureFire or anyone has new replacements. Plus the light doesn't do anything that a new light couldn't do as well or better. New in box is rare, I'd keep it that way even if I kept it.

( I did find this .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/324749925798?hash=item4b9c9a9da6:g:3XQAAOSwZI1hFJ2T )

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll give the opposite opinion. I think safe queens and such are silly. This is never going to be massively valuable. Take it out and use it as it was intended.

3_gun

Enlightened
I know stuff in a sealed box sells for batshit crazy money to serious collectors and SureFire has a fan boy base. Since a new light (or several) with MUCH better performance could be bought by selling, there is no way I would even think about opening/using a twenty year old sealed light

Last edited:

3_gun

Enlightened
Regardless if you use or sell in the future following that link I posted & getting an adapter while available could in be the smartest thing you do. There is no Surefire support & who know how long adapters will be around

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I'm a collector so I'd keep it.
If you're not a collector, perhaps pass it on to a collector. There are active surefire collector sites on fakebook with a few old timers from cpf showing like size 15 and pk.