Opinions on HDS flashlights.

De-Lux

Enlightened
Would have been great if people could be more specific of what exact problem they encountered with HDS, some of that could be subjective.
The issues I had definitely where not subjective. I won't go into detail because Henry made it right in the end and thats all that really matters. Not going to dump on HDS lights. No light is impervious to having issues. To the OP I would say go ahead and buy one if you are truly interested in getting one. Use it for while and if you are not impressed with it the you can always sell it here on CPF at a minimal loss. There are many here that would gladly take it off your hands.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Hmmm...This thread - especially the last couple of posts - reminds me of those folks that post their EDC gear...and how a lot of the posts in many forums are photos of costlier items that are usually in perfect condition. Strider knives, Starlingear beads, Kifaru backpacks, and designer hanky's are almost always pictured alongside mint HDS lights.

Nail on the head my friend. 👍🏻

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had always been interested in HDS lights, but never wanted to spend the money they usually go for. I recently was able to trade for one. It's a circa 10-year-old Ra clicky. I'm fine with it being a clicky, and with the factory default pre-sets. The only thing I would change if I could would be the tint. It's a Golden Dragon 140, and the tint is a bit bluish, but "first world problems...", right? It comes on at 13 lumens, which is enough for 99%+ of what I need it for. It had a few miniscule dings, so I don't have to worry about the first time I drop it on pavement. I got it mainly because of its reputation for reliability, and I'm happy to have it. I had an initial question about it, and Henry answered the email within hours.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold, program, and use a HDS light. After a short period of time all of your other daily EDC lights will be stuffed in the back of a drawer never to be seen again.

Last edited:

Seattle Sparky

Newly Enlightened
While I understand the sentiment of being nice to the pricey things, I don't baby my HDS, especially 170N that I have been carrying at work for over 5 years. And while it is not banging around my toolbox with hammers and wrenches, simply because it is needed on my person, I have no doubts that it could do it without a problem. I carried this particular light for over 5 years, clipped in jeans coin pocket, while doing big construction. It has fallen a few times so it has some light scratches and dings, mostly on tail cap. I rather surprised to see that some had problems with their hds lights, but glad to hear that Henry made it right.
To address the pricing point. I hope you all realize the costs associated with running a business today. I see Chinese light sold for over $200 ,some for even more. How do you think American business can survive selling them at cost, assuming all the future service and warranty. If you can't afford it, it is one thing, but don't expect quality American product to cost less than communist China's. Go ahead, save a few dollars , buy foreign, but then don't complain in situations like today, be part to blame.
pVI4ZCs.jpg
[/IMG]
LIaK2lP.jpg
[/IMG]

LedTed

Enlightened
Would have been great if people could be more specific of what exact problem they encountered with HDS, (REDACTED)

I'll be specific. I had several issues with my first HDS. Though expensive, it wasn't the worst thing when it got "traded" at work.

Poorly cut knurling:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...stems-EDC-19&p=5063192&highlight=#post5063192

Dirty and marred reflector:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...esman-on-CPF&p=4926418&highlight=#post4926418

Crappy beam profile:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...stems-EDC-19&p=4888559&highlight=#post4888559

Delay for updated model and sold old model:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...DS-Clicky-UI&p=4877334&highlight=#post4877334

Loose bezel and off-center LED:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...stems-EDC-18&p=4845340&highlight=#post4845340
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...stems-EDC-18&p=4845332&highlight=#post4845332

Sorry, couldn't find my post about the soft and intermittent button actuation and UI freezing during programming.

Summary of disappointment upon first observation:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...stems-EDC-18&p=4844678&highlight=#post4844678

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then you discover malkoff........
Two different products, each with different advantages/disadvantages. Malkoff lacks the UI/configurability offered by HDS (even executive gives direct access to all modes and is programmable) so makes sense that it costs less. But Gene makes an excellent product, and I really enjoy his drop-ins, especially the older stuff.

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me HDS fills a very narrow niche, but that happens to be the niche that I use most frequently. If I could only keep one light it would easily be my high cri rotary. But I do enjoy complementing it with some Malkoff, Oveready, PFlexPro, Zebralight, etc.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I understand the sentiment of being nice to the pricey things, I don't baby my HDS, especially 170N that I have been carrying at work for over 5 years. And while it is not banging around my toolbox with hammers and wrenches, simply because it is needed on my person, I have no doubts that it could do it without a problem. I carried this particular light for over 5 years, clipped in jeans coin pocket, while doing big construction. It has fallen a few times so it has some light scratches and dings, mostly on tail cap.

That clicky is looking good Sparky! And if spa treatment is ever desired, a replacement switch cap is cheap.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two different products, each with different advantages/disadvantages. Malkoff lacks the UI/configurability offered by HDS (even executive gives direct access to all modes and is programmable) so makes sense that it costs less. But Gene makes an excellent product, and I really enjoy his drop-ins, especially the older stuff.

My response made more sense before a post was edited. More a response to wasting money on lesser quality flashlights and trying to sell them. Anywho, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Like I said I actually enjoyed my HDS lights. Owned several but ended up keeping one of my rotary HiCri the longest. I put a full diffuse reflector on it to help with the lows and to make it a perfect flood beam because it just did not throw enough to be useful for what I needed it do. The diffuse reflector made it perfect what it was already good at if that makes sense. Kind of like guys that can't squat and don't want to work at it so they only work out upper body. I'll own another one some day but right now the Malkoff M361 18650 with a Hi/low ring is about as perfect as it gets for my needs.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we had a mat Fraser light we wouldn't have threads like these to entertain us. We'd all own the same thing and be bored. : D