Opinions on Surefire G2

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheap (relatively) and value for money. its very hardy and sturdy, and supposedly absorbs the shock from drops better than alumnium. the only thing its lacking in is its tailswitch...no lockout and its not diaphragm sealed. i have a c2 and i don't really use the lock out because the light has never turned on accidentally.

the lack of a diaphragm seal means water can leak in when the button is pressed. i'm still waiting for my G2 that i ordered to arrive, and i'm going to see if i can fix that by using epoxy or silicon sealant to seal the rubber cap to the tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello ThePatriot29,

Welcome.

I don't get much of a chance to use my G2. My 15 year old son thinks it belongs to him. He likes it, and after a few camping trips, has failed to destroy it. We have had no problems with water in spite of using it in the rain. It has not been (as far as I know, that is...) dropped in the lake yet. Also, there have been no problems with it turning on when packing it.

I can tell you that for camping the yellow G2 is easier to find than the black one when you drop it out of your pack at dusk. It's a good thing Dad has a light too.

Tom

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a G2 on duty ever since they came out (paid full price) looks almost new after being abused a bit.
At the current price it is probably the best value out there.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Patriot,

Others have said that it's a great value, and it really is. I've got other SF lights and this one stands out. Maybe that's because it's yellow!

I'd put it in the 'value plus' category.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with everyone here, great value, nice light (I own two as emergency and backup lights).

chamenos, great idea to seal the diaphragm, please post your results as I would be quite interested in knowing if it works out.

I do have a question for anyone who may have accidentally or purposely tested this out while camping or whatever. Are the G2 and G2Z resistant to Deet, the chemical in most bug repellents? might be good to know if you are packing both light and repellent in the same bag.

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThePatriot29

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments. Would one recommend the G2 over the e2e if one was going to purchase one Surefire? Meaning, should I buy a G2 now, or wait and save more to get the e2e?

paulr

Flashaholic
The e2e is much smaller and that makes it a lot better if you're going to carry it on you a lot of the time.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
for around $30 you can't go wrong. for the best EDC go E2e.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm tempted by some of the G2 offers but I figure for EDC I'm better off with an E2e, and for a cheap bright light where small size isn't so important, I'm better off with a Surge.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello tsg68,

I don't know if the G2 is effected by deet, but the mosquitoes in this part of the country are not.

Tom

Shark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
the only thing its lacking in is its tailswitch...no lockout and its not diaphragm sealed. i have a c2 and i don't really use the lock out because the light has never turned on accidentally.

the lack of a diaphragm seal means water can leak in when the button is pressed. i'm still waiting for my G2 that i ordered to arrive, and i'm going to see if i can fix that by using epoxy or silicon sealant to seal the rubber cap to the tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Try using contact cement it works very well on the rubber cap. The clickie tailcap conversion from dat2zip http://anlighten.com/shop/default.php is a nice upgrade also.

Latest posts