opinions requested on best 3c cell led flashlight.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

In passing. I would enjoy hearing your opinions on a 3c cell
led flashlight.

Now I would prefer a luxeon (not everlead too $$$ for now).

Reason being that I've never liked even the 12 bright led 3d cell flashligths as the through is awfull . For the simple fact that the only reflector is a flat pie plate shaped mirror that the led's sit on.

It seems such a waste to have so many bright led's and 3 D cells power and no through.

My Sl Jr throughs many times more.. eeesh.

Thanks for your ELEKTROLUMENS sugestion.

The FT-3c was one of my first choices. Well Elektrolumens is almost always my first choice.

My only regret is that the battery life is only 12 hours with good NIMH's, 7-8 hours on regular alkaline batteries.

Here's about the only other 3c Lux I could find on short notice.

http://www.blackwatercutlery.com/eglux-c3.html

I've not idea it's quality.

Any thoughts?

yt

Northernflame

MDM

Newly Enlightened
Re: opinions requested on best 3c cell led flashli

Electrolumens FT-C is a Luxeon III with good throw. It uses 3-C cells.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um... your only regret is a 7-8 hour battery life? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
That's good! A lot of those in candescent lights with lots of power only last for about an hour off a full charge.
I know the phazer is a 4C light, but it's stil lighter than a 4D light and has good batery life and TONS of light.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got all 5 of my 3c cell maggs built now.
These things are definitely beamers . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
The spot is only about 12 inches diameter from about 20 feet away.
Anything within 100 yards can be lit up with this.
People 60 yards away driving in through the exit gate notice me right away when I flash this at them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif
On the other hand, these can be (twist head) defocussed easily for up close work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Truthfully, I think you should have a go at building one yourself if you have any soldering skills, and a dremel
(for cutting off the reflector's cam and cutting off the bulb tower.
3c, or 3d magg + Osink + 3 watt emitter ending in L (ie. TWOL)+ arctic alumina adhesive = a really cool do-it-yourself led throw champ.

Otherwise, I might sell you one of mine for $70 bucks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I'll post some pictures as soon as I get my camera fixed.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your ELEKTROLUMENS sugestion.

The FT-3c was one of my first choices. Well Elektrolumens is almost always my first choice.

My only regret is that the battery life is only 12 hours with good NIMH's, 7-8 hours on regular alkaline batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a heck of a lot more runtime than that with my FT-3C using alkalines. I think the runtime depends on your definition of what is good and / or useful light. Some people swap out batteries as soon as the light dims a little bit.

My FT-3C gave about 16 hours of good light, and I got around 67 hours of useful light. These are estimates, but I ran my tested FT3C daily for about 10-15 minutes for four months (I use a flashlight to take the dog out for his nighly busines). After four months, it was still giving off respectable to good light, so I decided to run it for the rest of the battery life to come up with an estimate of usable runtime--it ran at usable levels for another 40 something hours over a 1 week period testing period--at which time I stopped the test it was too dim to provide useful light. Of course, my definition of good light and useful light is probably different than other people. I define useful light as enough light to be able to safely navigate a house in pitch darkness--under these conditions as little as one lumen can be enough light. The FT-3C keeps on shining with dead batteries--in fact its more efficient with dead batteries (you get low amounts of useful light for a LONG time even with batteries that are well in the red/dead zone).

I'm NOT a fan of the FT-3C for other reason (IMO poor beam quality and mediocre fit and finish), but I do have to give it top marks for runtime and initial brightness / white tint.

I'd certainly recommend it if throw is all one cares about.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

That light on Black Water Cutlery is a Nuwai - a brand (distributor, really) knwon for decent quality products.

cy

Flashaholic

I'm surprised that more folks have not posted support for Barbolight U-09, which uses 3 nimh C cells.

Mine is en route. I'll find out if U-09 lives up to expectations soon.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the sugestions.

I've looked at the Barbo, very nice indeed.

It is true that there are very few 3c led luxeon flashlights, which to me is a bit odd.

I did notice that as with the ft-3c Eelektrolumens and other
simular FL's that there is always a tactical stigma attatched to the designs. Instead of efficientcy.

I can understand a security guard's need for such a heavy
tool. However just how many instances have you seen of
someone running over a flashlight with a car?

Also dropping (by accident) even an led flashlight from 30 feet onto the pavement below I doubt even the led would survive, the lens certainly won't.

Granted I have a tri-star phaser and are extremely please with it, it makes for an excelent searchlight and is not all that heavy.

It makes sense to have a lighter more efficient Fl for "searching for" purposes.

I'm guessing that i will have to build another FL in order to get what i require.

Thanks again for the sugestions, it's apreciated.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello,

When I say 30 ft drop. I write it because it has been tested. The Makrolon lens (polycarbonate from BAYER) can stand that.
20ATM means you can dive with it at that depth (200m). Probably most of them will be used at 5 ATM maximun, but overengineering things is the best way to make them undestructible under normal circunstances.
It is smaller and lighter than a TSP, and as a searchlight has more throw than any light based on FRAEN Tri-Lens module.

Look
here
If you want to make your own searchlight I would suggest you using xxxK-binned LSIII instead of xxxL binned, as long as you can get a perfect thermal management. Try with copper discs and arctic epoxi.

Good Luck

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

My really, really old Pelican Sabrelite (Incan) has been dropped out of 4 story windows before multiple times, and while I've gone through a couple of bulbs doing this they don't always break, and the flashlight isn't in any worse shape. I can't imagine the LED version being any less hardy. .

I'd LOVE to have a Barbolite, but when I have to use a C-Cell, it has to be HL rated for HAZMAT. So I'm pretty much stuck with the old Sabrelite for now, as last I knew the LED version hadn't picked up all of the certifications yet. I'm gonna pick up a Kohler Bright Star 3C Responder for a project light, and maybe that'll go well enough to make a good mod platform. .

Longbow

Enlightened

FT-3C, can't say enough about this great torch. Look who sells it. Need I say more?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Northernflame,

When I think of C cell lights I usually think of hurricanes and other types of emergencies, since C cells are usually the only cells left in the stores after the panic sets in. In that vein I would recommend looking at the TEKTITE line of dive lights.

They can be had with Luxeon Stars and start out pretty reasonably priced. They are all simple, clunky and very heavy-duty. I don't use mine on a daily basis -- I only keep them maintained for emergencies. TEKTITE dive lights are strewn all over my house. If the power goes out at my place the greatest danger is that you will trip over a dive light in the dark.

Don't get me wrong. I hate stiff, two-handed dive twisties, but there is no light that I would trust more than one of these simple dive lights when things get really ugly.