Opple Pro is on sale

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opple is on sale on Aliex.. get one while you can.

I Highly recommend the Opple, and it is on sale for a very good price.

My bet, is once they are gone, there will be no more.. do not delay, or you will miss your chance to buy a very inexpensive tool for measuring Tint.

The Opple transforms a Wall Of Words about Tint, into numbers that can be compared directly.

Without vague and confusing descriptions like "creamy", "pure white", "neutral", "green", "not green", etc.

===
This is how I use it:
The bathroom sink is my "studio", close the door to make the room dark.

pPfjuvq.jpg

this is how I use the data to visualize the Tint Duv:
FirEf82.jpg

For consistency when comparing two of my lights, I try to get the Opple to read a similar intensity, about 20,000 lux, by either turning up the output, and/or changing how close the light is to the meter.

there is variation in Tint duv, based on whether the light is set to a low output or a high one.

I usually just test at about 20 lumens output.. I do not try to test the corona, I just aim the hotspot at the sensor.. thats just me.. lol

Go crazy.. some people use the Opple outdoors, at night, from 4 meters away.. others use tripods to mount the light and aim it at the Opple standing on its head.. etc.. just be consistent.

Dont expect my Opple to match your Opple, as our LEDs are not identical, there will always be variations.

Where the Opple really Shines, is for comparing my own lights to each other.

Its the most fun little tool Ive bought in a long time!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats
check out the subtle difference in Opple data between a reflector and a Tir, on a recently modded light:

Note the greenish tint shift in the corona of the beam profile on bottom right of pic:
l59FGb1.jpg

no more tint shift, pebbled Tir blends it in:
TL3vMgP.jpg

Do you think I should dedome it?.. LOL!

for reference here is how my Opple reads cloudy afternoon daylight on the 35th parallel:
UgJWDEvm.jpg

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: The Opple 4 has become available.

It adds the ability to measure the 14 separate components of Average CRI. This means we will be compare LEDs in more detail, including the CRI R9 (Red) value.

The Tint DUV will now also be calculated automatically by the Opple 4.
I ordered one a couple of days ago.. will share impressions when it arrives.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the version 4 on AliX, waiting for the slow boat from China.
congrats.. it takes about 6 days to reach USA and clear customs. It then takes another 2-3 weeks for USPS to deliver. I ordered on 4/21, tracking says the eta is May 11th.

You will need the Opple Smart app (free for both Android and iPhone).

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

I received my Opple 4 and measured a Neutral White XM-L2.

Opple 4 gave me a CRI R9 (Red) of 78.5.
This is not possibly correct, since Low CRI XM-L2 have negative CRI R9, this one for example, has R9 of -31:
R2fRQWn.png

I have requested a refund from Aliex.

vento611

Newly Enlightened
jon_slider, I was following your opple 4 testing closely on the other side and I'm disappointed with the results, I hope a firmware update can fix this... Thanks for sharing!

DRW

Enlightened
This is how I use it:
The bathroom sink is my "studio", close the door to make the room dark.

Does the color of the sink reflected light affect the readings? Probably easy enough to test that. Place the instrument and flashlight on various colored papers and then compare readings.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the color of the sink reflected light affect the readings?
Maybe, but since any reflection applies to both Opples, they should get the same readings. Here is an album that includes Opple 4 and Opple 3 tests of the same lights, on the same white sink, at the same distance:

Update:
afaict the Opple 4 is not accurate for CRI R9 (Red) with Low CRI lights, and it seems to read high on DUV:

Nb5FAS9.jpg

otoh, Opple 4 seems relatively useful when comparing High CRI lights, the CRI R9 (Red) seems realistic even if DUV reads high:

9bZrPH8.jpg

Opple 4 seems quite accurate for the TS10 CCT, Ra, and R9… imo the DUV reads high… but this is one of the most credible comparison Ive done so far…
s8TvKYR.jpg
both TS10 lights set to similar output, 65 lumens, and measured on Opple 4 at similar distance and lux… (I hope someone with both an Opple 4 and a Sekonic or Xrite does a comparison for us)

Last edited: