Oracle 35W HID

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
windstrings:

I find that I can read the battery voltage from the two outside poles of the battery at anytime whether switched on or off (??). I can't quite figure this out. It's the same on the single mode and dual mode batteries.

In your review I believe you said that there is no voltage at the poles when the battery is switched off. I don't think that is correct. The battery could be shorted [:poof:] even while switched off.

Any thoughts?

I don't recall.. If so, I could have been wrong.
I definitely do not remember measuring voltage on the battery... my presumptions are only based on whether the LED would lite or not.

I could not switch the battery off I had.. I only had high and low and there was a tiny switch that turned the LED on or off.

The version I had was before the single and dual mode batteries I believe..with mine it was 28W setting or the 35W setting and that tiny switch for the LED.

Richie086

Enlightened
windstrings:

I find that I can read the battery voltage from the two outside poles of the battery at anytime whether switched on or off (??). I can't quite figure this out. It's the same on the single mode and dual mode batteries.

On the 35w dual mode battery, the two outer poles are always hot, whether powered or not, and why the rubber battery shield should always be in place when the battery is removed from the flashlight. On my Oracle 24w, the poles are only hot when the battery switch is turned on, but the battery configuration is different on the 24w version compared to the higher output, dual mode 35w battery pack.

This is how mine has always worked, and perhaps why eventually they start to leak power.

SunFire900

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your feedback, guys.

I found out tonight that when my charger light turned green and I checked the battery voltage, it was 12.87v.
faint.gif
Checked it with 3 DMM's. Looks like I might need another charger.

I have terrible luck when it comes to getting overcharging li-ion battery chargers.
sigh.gif

Would anyone care to guess (or maybe know) what the beam of this light would look like with a highly polished smooth reflector?

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would anyone care to guess (or maybe know) what the beam of this light would look like with a highly polished smooth reflector?

Ok.. I'll guess.....
a little more artifact in your spill "less smooth" but more throw in the distance but not enough to cry about.
Also maybe a crisper contrast in the distance.

SunFire900

Newly Enlightened
Thanks windstrings,

I can't disagree with any part of that. Anyway, it's very nice to have powerful, floody HID light with good throw.

If I need a spotlight I'll get my Stanley HID.

Richie086

Enlightened
Thanks for your feedback, guys.

I found out tonight that when my charger light turned green and I checked the battery voltage, it was 12.87v.
faint.gif
Checked it with 3 DMM's. Looks like I might need another charger.

Hi SunFire,

Recently my original charger crapped out and Justin sent me the new updated version. I'm still within the 1 year warranty, so I didn't have to pay for it, but did have to send the defective unit back to him at my expense, which was fine with me.

The new charger supplied by the manufacturer for the 35w are now rated and charge to 12.8v, not the previous 12.6v. I thought this is a bit high, but I'm not the manufacturer of these things. The charger seems to have a light for each stage of charging or condition of the battery. Red, Yellow, and Green for when charging is complete.

Is this the type of charger you have?

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks windstrings,

I can't disagree with any part of that. Anyway, it's very nice to have powerful, floody HID light with good throw.

If I need a spotlight I'll get my Stanley HID.

I agree.. if your wanting a spotlight, the Oracle is not the best choice as the spill and corona are massive... that light could be better focused to the distance if "spotting" is whats desired.

The oracle is the brightest "flashlight" I've ran across!

I've seen other 35HID's that were more attuned to being a spotlight but didn't have the splash to the sides to the degree the Oracle has.

Another way of looking at it so I don't sound negative... you get both with the Oracle!... Its bright enough to give you tons of spill and splash to the sides and still suffice for distance.

One must realize if your honestly trying to pick something out in the far distance, that splash and side spill only kills your vision as it makes your pupils contract to the close bright light and kills your distance vision anyway. If your light hits objects only a few feet away, it will be very difficult for your eyes to see the distance unless two things are happening...
1. The spill is only slight and rather subdued.
2. The light in the distance is very bright to overpower the nearby spill and pupil constriction to the eyes.

Another reason spotlights with little spill do better for that very job.

SunFire900

Newly Enlightened
Hi SunFire,

Recently my original charger crapped out and Justin sent me the new updated version. I'm still within the 1 year warranty, so I didn't have to pay for it, but did have to send the defective unit back to him at my expense, which was fine with me.

The new charger supplied by the manufacturer for the 35w are now rated and charge to 12.8v, not the previous 12.6v. I thought this is a bit high, but I'm not the manufacturer of these things. The charger seems to have a light for each stage of charging or condition of the battery. Red, Yellow, and Green for when charging is complete.

Is this the type of charger you have?

Yes, it's the same one. The light actually goes from red to orange to yellow and then to green when charge is complete. You have to stare at the sucker to see all the phases. I found that I could terminate the charge when the light first turns orange-yellow that the battery v. (when removed from charger) would be very close to 12.6v. If I charge until the light just starts to turn yellow/green, well, too late. It's already about 12.8v.

If the battery is supposed to charge to 12.8v, then the charging instructions are erroneous. The lack of comprehensive and trustworthy user manuals is a problem as I see it. Or, maybe I just worry too much.

Would you be happy charging your li-ion cells to 4.30v? It might add a couple minutes to run times, but it will certainly reduce the life of the cells.

Edit: To be fair, I just looked at the manual and it doesn't say anything about the battery voltage other than it being 12v. It was printed on the battery label that I sent back to Justin, saying not to exceed 12.6v. Nothing about voltage at all on my single mode battery.

Last edited:

Richie086

Enlightened
Would you be happy charging your li-ion cells to 4.30v? It might add a couple minutes to run times, but it will certainly reduce the life of the cells.

Actually I don't let it charge past 12.6v. Whether charging my 24w or the 35w, I always have a multimeter attached to the poles of the battery so I can actually see what it is and terminate the charge at a point I feel comfortable with.

SunFire900

Newly Enlightened
Actually I don't let it charge past 12.6v. Whether charging my 24w or the 35w, I always have a multimeter attached to the poles of the battery so I can actually see what it is and terminate the charge at a point I feel comfortable with.

Same here. 12.6v is my max also. It's a pain in the neck to have to bird-dog charging batteries, but it's the only way I can feel comfortable.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the battery is supposed to charge to 12.8v, then the charging instructions are erroneous. The lack of comprehensive and trustworthy user manuals is a problem as I see it. Or, maybe I just worry too much.

This is a worthy complaint.... its one thing not altering or modding the light for the better once it hits the states, its quite another not translating the manual to a respectable english that actually makes sense and is accurate.

If the manual was any worse, it wouldn't be english!

deeeey

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to CPF and was long overdue to register as the Forum has been very helpful to me. I live in a rural farm area where walking my dog at night can be an adventure in the pitch black with critters lurking everywhere. After much research, I purchased the Oracle 24W last year and it's proved to be a wonderful light for my purpose. I also keep a Strion in my pocket for the times the Oracle abruptly shuts down as my 'get-me-home'.
While the Oracle 24W is great, a stronger beam would be better and I am considering the Oracle 35W. The 35W claims to have a 4200K bulb @ 3000 lumens verses the 24W's 4300K @ 2200 lumens. The 24W color is perfect and I'm considering the Oracle 35W because of the 4200K bulb (as well as the quality construction). Assuming the color will be comparable, what increase in throw could I expect from the 35W? Would it be worth it to shell out some of those once-a-month retirement bucks? I paid $149 for the 24W and am not sure what I'll have to pay for the 35W. Is there a CPF discount code for that model? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I' ve found the wattage difference is pretty comparable with what you would expect.
Providing your dealing with the same quality reflector, 50W will be about twice the light of 24W.
The only time I really see a mismatch in wattage difference "as to what would be expected" is when one of the lights has a much larger reflector in which case you will get more light and throw abilities.. of course its more clunky and heavy.

Consider the L35 if they aren't still on backorder. It has a nice mult LED for taking it easy on the light and a good quality 35W output when you need to blast something.

I wouldn't steer you away from Oracle if it wasn't for all the complaints about their battery's lately.
I don't see anyone taking any effort to fix or rectify the problem and it really should be fixed by now.

I don't have a problem with Chinese imports but if there are deficiencies, they should be modified or not sold IMO....sorry.
They won't even rewrite the manual so it makes good sense in English... let alone do some modifications to fix anything.

This has been brought to their attention some while ago now... its appears apparent no one intends to make the situation good.

Maybe they have the attitude "you get what you pay for" and they don't care.

Seems there are still alot of battery issues with the Oracle 35W.... if you buy the Oracle, make sure they have a good return policy.

Last edited:

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Before knowing better I recently bought a 35x14 Oracle that never worked. I got tired of sending batterys back and forth so I sent the whole light back for a refund. It's a gamble so you may get lucky and get a good one like your 24w. I don't believe you'll see much differance though.
Billy

wild_mn

Newly Enlightened
digging up the past but I just got my ship notification, I will post any issues or changes I see on mine.....

wild_mn

Newly Enlightened
digging up the past but I just got my ship notification, I will post any issues or changes I see on mine.....

Light arrived today after a few days in the UPS truck. LEDs on the Batt were impressive so I put the pack in and went outside. All I have to say is I am hooked on HID. after giggling to myself for 10 minutes or so I decided to actually charge the battery. I guess I will find out tomorrow what a full pack can do. So far so good, holding my breath that I got one of the good ones. :thumbsup:

spaz815

Newly Enlightened
Will one of the ebay battery's work with this light? I noticed it says on some of them that It has strobe. Does that matter? Also has anyone rebuilt the battery? I've read a lot and haven't saw anyone do this. If so how is it done?