Oracle 35W HID

Patriot

Flashaholic
how does this light compair to the AE Xenide 25W? i am looking for a hid light, but want quality with it. I am in law enforcement and if i chose to pull out the HID, i want to know that if by some reason it were to be dropped, it would still work... or am i just dreaming on that point...
I have an elektrolumens 3 cree mce led's in a 4/c mag host. supposed to be 2100 lumens. it is very bright, but dosn't really throw. more of a flood light. those of you that have both, the oracle and the ae xenide 25, in your opinion which one is brighter, throws more and will survive my job better.
thanks

The Xenide is a great light with outstanding run-time. Although the 35W Oracle is producing more lumens the AE will probably match it in throw. As for the reliability of the Oracle. It's anyone's guess, which is the case with most lights. There are no standards with which to measure and until some independent tests 5-10 of each model to destruction, there just isn't any real world data. AE as been around for a while and has a good reputation. The Oracle is new, half the price, and most owners seem to like it.

Either of these HID's will smoke your 3 x MCE in the throw department. Hope that helps. :)

Chase023

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the same boat. Ordered it through the link with the discounted price and no high/low setting. Had my wife call (i'm out of country at the moment) and AAC said this light didn't have that option. I didn't know there was a choice. They said I could order that particular battery with the high/low switch and then it would work fine. Not a big deal for me as an extra battery would be nice. Now, if i could just get home to use it....

If you get the different battery, doesn't that mean u need a different end cap for the flashlight? Mine looks solid and doesn't look like any light will shine thru it when its capped on the end.

Also I just called AAC and they said it should have the blue/green LED ring on the end for the 35w Oracle HID Flashlight, so I am kinda lost. Is the non LED one a newer version or an older version of it or maybe some anomaly or??

Anyways I think I will send it back and try to get me one with the LED rings cuz thats what they said it should have.

Last edited:

stollman

Enlightened
I took the Oracle 35W for a little caving (damp/wet environment) trip this past weekend. It held up pretty well. I shot some video using it and the Barn Burner. I'll post the YouTube links on this thread when I finish the editing. Even though the light has an orange peel reflector, which worked well for lighting up cave passages, I needed a more diffused light for video (remove artifacts). Due to the heat concern of an HID, I purchased a Barn Burner Diffuser from Xevision and took a Dremel to it (with a router attachment). I cut out a 76mm circle and had to taper the outside edge to fit into the rubber filter housing (removed amber lens)....the Diffuser material was a little thicker than the amber lens. I also put a piece of Press-N-Seal plastic wrap over the front of the lens, which eliminated the remaining hot spot. If smoothed out the light output nicely. I may have lost a few lumens, but I was happy with the results.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Stollman, when you post your videos, please post a picture of your mod too if possible.

Thanks.

07gttom

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the same boat. Ordered it through the link with the discounted price and no high/low setting. Had my wife call (i'm out of country at the moment) and AAC said this light didn't have that option. I didn't know there was a choice. They said I could order that particular battery with the high/low switch and then it would work fine. Not a big deal for me as an extra battery would be nice. Now, if i could just get home to use it....

i asked them this on the marketplace..
does this model (35w) have two power settings? at first i read it did but two other members on candlepowerforums wrote that that their flashlight did not have the multi-mode battery system giving it the ability to operate on high power (100%) and low power (70%) with the blue and green light to indicate what level was on. was there a change??

their response was
The $219 35W version only has 1 setting (100%) There is a $20 fee for the dual-mode battery which brings the total to $239. The dual mode battery allows the light to function at 35W (BLUE Indicator) or 27W (GREEN Indicator) or OFF.

Chase023

Newly Enlightened
i asked them this on the marketplace..
does this model (35w) have two power settings? at first i read it did but two other members on candlepowerforums wrote that that their flashlight did not have the multi-mode battery system giving it the ability to operate on high power (100%) and low power (70%) with the blue and green light to indicate what level was on. was there a change??

their response was
The $219 35W version only has 1 setting (100%) There is a $20 fee for the dual-mode battery which brings the total to $239. The dual mode battery allows the light to function at 35W (BLUE Indicator) or 27W (GREEN Indicator) or OFF.

When I purchased the flashlight, I had no idea it had 2 versions of it and was expecting the LED power setting version because I saw pictures of it on this thread, but I guess the auction description had nothing regarding a power setting/Green, Blue LEDs.

After some thought I think I will just keep the light as is and not bother sending it to see if I can get the other version.

I like the look of the Blue LED ring in the rear but I think I like the fact that it's setting is just at 100%.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found it extremely rare that I would actually want to use the lower settings.

Unless you were on a long hike or any situation where you risked running out of battery runtime, you will always want the higher setting anyway.

If your like me and use it mostly for the wow factor and showing off.. its a non-issue.

If you honestly go cave trekking or hiking/hunting at night, the lower setting "=longer runtime" may be worth the trouble.

This light is really too bright for most applications anyway... like using a deer rifle with a scope to hunt squirrels in the tree in front of you!.... "thats a southern thing":thumbsup:

There is such a thing as too much light... for close applications.
Your Oracle will be mostly for non conventional uses.

If your a firefighter, I would want the lower settings as nights can grow long on a fire scene.

Patriot

Flashaholic
What seems odd to me is that the dual output level seems to be controlled by the battery and not the ballast. I have no idea how that's technically possible unless the Oracle is simply unregulated.

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
Hi Chase023, you might consider having dual modes instead just the on/off function. I believe there's just a very little difference in brightness between the 35W and 28W but you will gain more run time at 28W. Mine is 35W/28W :)

CUL8R

Enlightened
I just got mine approximately 2 weeks ago (silver), and it was $219 with the blue/green indicator and 2 power settings.

Jim

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chase023, you might consider having dual modes instead just the on/off function. I believe there's just a very little difference in brightness between the 35W and 28W but you will gain more run time at 28W. Mine is 35W/28W :)

I haven't tested the Oracle extensively, but normally the differences in power settings are subliminal when up close. You will only see the real differences in the distance.

This is true when dealing with radio transmitters too.
How many times have you done a test with two lights and they both look virtually the same against a nearby wall or even your garage door outside... but looking 200 yards away at night becomes more obvious.

As the power increases, so the distance must increase to really appreciate that power.

So in a nutshell, the dual modes are good if allot of what you do is within 100 yards or so.. because the extra 7 watts is not even noticeable so might as well get more runtime if you need it.

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
I haven't tested the Oracle extensively, but normally the differences in power settings are subliminal when up close. You will only see the real differences in the distance.

This is true when dealing with radio transmitters too.
How many times have you done a test with two lights and they both look virtually the same against a nearby wall or even your garage door outside... but looking 200 yards away at night becomes more obvious.

As the power increases, so the distance must increase to really appreciate that power.

So in a nutshell, the dual modes are good if allot of what you do is within 100 yards or so.. because the extra 7 watts is not even noticeable so might as well get more runtime if you need it.
Agreed! :thumbsup:

stollman

Enlightened
Runtimes

I have (3) batteries, and just completed runtime tests on all of them. On "high", I am getting pretty much 72-80 minutes on all of them. I ended testing after the 80 minute mark...just wanted to see if the runtimes matched the website stat.

Last edited:

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
Runtimes

I have (3) batteries, and just completed runtime tests on all of them. On "high", I am getting pretty much 72-80 minutes on all of them. I ended testing after the 80 minute mark...just wanted to see if the runtimes matched the website stat.
72 - 80 minutes per pack. Was it a continuous run oh high mode or its just the total time of short period runs ? You said you all 3 battery packs were tested, did you test them right after the other? I'm wondering if the lens/reflector/o-ring/ballast can take that beating (3 packs non-stop run on high mode). I broke my lens after 30 - 40 minutes continuous run on high mode a couple of weeks back. Now I'm hesitant to use my light for that long again. One more question, do you also experiencing the said parasitic drain when storing the battery packs?
You might also want to test the run times on low mode. :naughty:

Last edited:

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
Anybody ever tried replacing their reflector with SMO one? Or is there a SMO reflector from the market that can use on this Oracle 35W? I feel too much spill from the original reflector :shakehead

stollman

Enlightened
I charged all (3) packs and tested them one right after the other in my basement. The 72-80 minute was a continuous run in high for each battery. I tested one battery right after the other. I tested the light by placing it on my basement floor (cool). I also put a fan on the light to help keep it cool. I know how hot HIDs can get, and did not want the light damaged from heat. With the fan blowing on it, the light never got hot, just slightly warm. I don't think I would test any HID for extended run tests without some type of cooling. I think Xevision does not recommend running their BB continuous after 45 minutes (duration of one battery).
No experience regarding battery drain. The use of my light is planned, so I always charge up my batteries before I take out the light.
Regarding swapping out the reflector, it appears to be integrated into the bezel.

Last edited:

LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Enlightened
I charged all (3) packs and tested them one right after the other in my basement. The 72-80 minute was a continuous run in high for each battery. I tested one battery right after the other. I tested the light by placing it on my basement floor (cool). I also put a fan on the light to help keep it cool. I know how hot HIDs can get, and did not want the light damaged from heat. With the fan blowing on it, the light never got hot, just slightly warm. I don't think I would test any HID for extended run tests without some type of cooling. I think Xevision does not recommend running their BB continuous after 45 minutes (duration of one battery).
No experience regarding battery drain. The use of my light is planned, so I always charge up my batteries before I take out the light.
Regarding swapping out the reflector, it appears to be integrated into the bezel.
Thanks!! I used mine to light my room (tail standing) when the light went off so no cooling devise used until the lens broke. The lens got very hot at the point where I almost burned my finger when I tried to test the heat from the broken lens :D

Last edited:

CUL8R

Enlightened
Just did a runtime test on mine. 77min 35 sec on high, and 87 min 12 sec on low. I followed the same procedure as when I tested the batteries for my 24W; 5 minutes off for cool down after every 25 minutes of runtime.

Jim

CUL8R

Enlightened
What seems odd to me is that the dual output level seems to be controlled by the battery and not the ballast. I have no idea how that's technically possible unless the Oracle is simply unregulated.

Patriot,

The setup with the battery and ballast on the Oracle 35 is interesting. If you remove the battery and look at the ballast contacts, you will find 4 contact points; a center dot with 3 rings around it at varying distances from center. The 35W battery with the high and low selections has 4 pins to match the 4 contact points on the ballast. It appears when you select either high or low, the battery power is being sent to different contacts on the ballast, thus activating full or reduced power settings from the ballast to the bulb. The batteries that came with my 24W oracle only have 2 pins, although interestingly the ballast in the light has the same 4 contacts as the 35W model. I have to assume the single mode 35w light that is now being sold has a battery that only has 2 contacts (or only has two contacts wired internally). I can take and upload some pictures later if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Added on edit: If you look at Windstrings post #25 on page 1 of this thread, you will find pictures showing the 4 contacts on the battery and inside the flashlight, on the back of the ballast assembly.

Jim

Last edited: