Original 9P - Can't Buy So I'll Build!

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Original 9P - Can\'t Buy So I\'ll Build!

I've been looking for a new Original 9P for a couple of weeks without luck.

Today it finally dawned on me that I'll take my mint but old 6P and make a 9P out of it. I've ordered a A19 adapter and P90 reflector and should have them in a couple of days.

A couple of questions for anyone who's done this modification:

- Does the adapter fit seamlessly onto the 6P without gaps at either end?

- Does the lexan lens breakdown faster with 9v. behind it?

- Should I still be looking for a 9P even though I have all of the right components to make one?

Thanks for your input.

Marty

-

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Original 9P - Can\'t Buy So I\'ll Build!

Hi,

You can order a pyrex lens head for your 6P/9P if your worried about the Lexan being damaged by heat.

I always keep a lens replacement kit handy since it's only around $3-4. I've melted several lens' with the P90 although you'll have to leave it on for a very long time to do that. The lens will melt faster with the P91. It only takes a minute to replace the Lexan however so it's usually not a big deal.

About the gap, there seems to be 2 different A19's. There is a picture somewhere here on CPF showing both. One seems to have a gap and the other does not.

llvo

Enlightened

Hello,
my D3 defender already used P91 200lu lamp, there were not any viewable damages to the lexan lens

now I am using it with KL3
smile.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I won't be using a P91 since I want to get more mileage on my lamp but I do appreciate your feedback, llvo.

Surefire M6, does the replacement pyrex head bear a Surefire part number or is it aftermarket?

Marty

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I read he thread and will call Surefire in the a.m. to order the C2. I think that I'll add a holster to the order to get past the $50 threshold for free shipping.

Marty

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is one problem with the Pyrex bezel if you want an original 9P this bezel is the Hex style and not the round.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yup, the pyrex has the hex head to improve crush strength and roll resistance. It's a functionally improved version but some do not like the Hex head cosmetically. It grew on me and now the round just looks old.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do like the old (round) head. Maybe I'll forget about changing the head and retain the original 6P head when I chance out the lamp.

I'm still going to keep an eye out for an original 9P and eventually convert this 6P back.

Marty

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think Leech Enterprises in Diamond Bar, CA has the original 9Ps last I heard.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Marty- I converted mine several years ago. I don't really understand the "gap" business, but there's a pic of it in my sig. I've never melted a lens and it has a P91 in it currently. I don't think I've ever left it on for more than a few minutes, though.

Larry
(Edited- couldn't spell my own name
yellowsleep.gif
)

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Larry..I did the A19 conversion two weeks ago and it looks just like a 9P with a seam (no gap). Like all Surefire Lexan's, you can't leave the light on for any length of time (over a few minutes) without the possibility of meltdown. I put it in a V11 holster and I'm perfectly happy.

Eventually I'm going to sell all of my Lexan SF's and just keep the Pyrex models (E2e, G2z and M2) that I own.

Marty

Edit: Unless Flashlightlens can come up with replacement glass for those models.

Otokoyama

Enlightened

I've had a perfect 9P listed for awhile if anyone's interested, though I originally wanted to trade for a G2Z.

SureFire 9P

(edit) Sold 12/22/02 1600 Pacific

Raven

Enlightened

I have an original 9p as well, and I'm curious as to why they would be prefered over the newer models?

Raven

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by Raven:
I have an original 9p as well, and I'm curious as to why they would be prefered over the newer models?

Raven
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know what everyone elses answer would be but I picked up a used 9P over new D3 or Z3 because I don't like clips or combat grips.

llvo

Enlightened

The clip on D3 is quite useful, it clips on the belt nicely and does not cause any problem with the nylon holster.