OSRAM Street Legal LED Headlight Bulbs.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should clarify that only led kits that are used in halogen housings are inferior, and mostly as far as compliance, cuz the way it is written now it looks like you claim that all led lighting is inferior to halogen, which is not only a fallacy , but also........., lets just leave on the fallacy for now.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
To clarify, all LED light is inferior light to incandescent light, period. Our eyes evolved under an incandescent light source for about 4B years, and that is why natural light is superior to light from LED. Until LED light matches the spectrum profile of incandescent, that will remain the case. And even then, LED light will only be as good as incan light. That is the very best LED can ever do, and I hope that day comes, but it is not today. Today, LED light has problems. LED literally slowly permanently blinds you, wrecks your Circadian rhythms, disrupts your sleep, contributing to diabetes and heart disease, and takes years off your life.

Last edited:

EJR

Newly Enlightened
This is known as proof by assertion, and it is a fallacy. What can be said is LED are more efficient and therefore brighter.

No, they'll be brighter or more accurately put, they'll provide higher *measured* intensity within all critical seeing regions of the beam.

But the fact of the matter is LED lighting, even with the best High CRI options, is still inferior to incandescent lighting, and LED is especially inferior to halogen, regarding what can be seen. What can be seen is what it is all about, not brightness. No matter how much bias you hold towards LED and brightness, if your eyes are human, you can see more with with a broad spectrum but dimmer and warmer halogen than you can with a narrower and cooler, bluer spectrum LED, even though it is brighter.

Despite all the relevant arguments of high CRI and the benefits that incandescent lighting has to visual performance over LED, its all MOOT at this point. LED forward lighting is here to stay and it will soon be the primary source for ALL vehicle lighting very soon whether your like it or not. I believe there are LED packages that can give the high color rendering but people want the cool white lamps so that is what the car markers give'em. If you've got a halogen equipped vehicle and prefer the high CRI then by all means, keep buying halogen for as long as they'll be made available. But ultimately CRI plays a less critical part in visual safety because light distribution is numero uno.

And there is a categorical imperative here, because there are other drivers on the road. Would you prefer to look into bright, blinding blue light? There's a reason it's illegal to drive with high beams facing traffic, because it is blinding. The LED lights you want to use, which in fact do not let you see more, will blind opposing traffic.

If you want to improve safety, drive slower at night.

Personally, I avoid looking directly at the headlights of oncoming traffic. I keep my eyes fixed away and down towards the delineating line of my lane. Its a easy, effective way to prevent that bothersome blue spectrum.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then you are not looking hard enough, or not looking at all, they are already going away. i see more and more new compact cars in our shop with led headlights, even base trims. in 10 years you wont see many halogens except maybe cheap bare bones work trucks. 10 years ago only few none luxury cars had leds as option.

I'm speaking globally. Halogen will stick around for a long long time.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED forward lighting is here to stay and it will soon be the primary source for ALL vehicle lighting very soon whether your like it or not.

Not if the CPSC bans LED in the interests of consumer safety. It took over 70 years to ban leaded gasoline, but it was banned for the same reasons nevertheless. LED light, like lead, is bad for you whether you realize it or not.

Halogen headlights aren't going anywhere so long as there is a market for them.

eggsalad

Enlightened
There are plenty of xlr tail lights sold on the internet, original, and aftermarket. there is also xlr forum that has plenty of info where to get spare lights or fix yours.
Well I shall stand corrected! That's what I get for believing the Internet!

Mosports

Newly Enlightened
LED lamps have one undeniabe advantage over both Halogen and HID and that is long life. A high quality LED can last as long as 30,000 hours. This is very attractive to truck fleets, Emergency vehicles and where taking a vehicle off the road so a mechanic can replace a burned out bulb can cost thousands of dollars

ButchW

Newly Enlightened
LEDs also have the advantage of lower power consumptio.. Smaller wirin, alternators, batteries and elec component…. I'm interested in this, because I'm trying to up grade the lighting on an old car with a small alternator, funky wiring and sealed beam headlights…
Butch

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED lamps have one undeniabe advantage over both Halogen and HID and that is long life. A high quality LED can last as long as 30,000 hours. This is very attractive to truck fleets, Emergency vehicles and where taking a vehicle off the road so a mechanic can replace a burned out bulb can cost thousands of dollars
IT is true in theory, but in real world i see cars, even new ones, with failed led lights, front and back, One can argue it is not leds themselves that failed, but a driver circuit, but it is irrelevant, at the end of the day the light is not functioning. To be honest i can't say i had many bulb failures over 30+ years i drive. I had a 2006 accord that had a failed cluster in its led tail light, it was very common with those cars. it was not even 3 years old when it failed. Only nyc led traffic lights fail more often, but only green, red so far i have not seen many fail, yellow is still a bulb here, also never seen them fail.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not if the CPSC bans LED in the interests of consumer safety. It took over 70 years to ban leaded gasoline, but it was banned for the same reasons nevertheless. LED light, like lead, is bad for you whether you realize it or not.

Halogen headlights aren't going anywhere so long as there is a market for them.
You mean the Aviation fuel that is used by all small aircraft across North America and probably even the world? The Avgas that still contains lead? That leaded gas?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
IT is true in theory, but in real world i see cars, even new ones, with failed led lights, front and back, One can argue it is not leds themselves that failed, but a driver circuit, but it is irrelevant, at the end of the day the light is not functioning. To be honest i can't say i had many bulb failures over 30+ years i drive. I had a 2006 accord that had a failed cluster in its led tail light, it was very common with those cars. it was not even 3 years old when it failed. Only nyc led traffic lights fail more often, but only green, red so far i have not seen many fail, yellow is still a bulb here, also never seen them fail.
I see cars driving around with failed lights all the time anymore. LED and incan lights. Headlights, tail lights and signals. I think it's more about the people driving them than it is about the tech. I've talked to people who have known about their failed lights for months but can't be bothered to do anything about either because they work all the time and can't get to a shop or dealer....or they don't know how to do anything about it and it isn't a priority. I don't know how these people get by in life but...yeah, not about the tech.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF a bulb burns out, you replace a bulb, they are between 2 and 20 bucks depending on a bulb, if a led light fails, you need to replace entire assembly, hundreds or thousands depending on a light.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF a bulb burns out, you replace a bulb, they are between 2 and 20 bucks depending on a bulb, if a led light fails, you need to replace entire assembly, hundreds or thousands depending on a light.
Not true.
I have Osram H4-LED in VW Golf Mk2 and if it fails i will simply swap with halogen. Nothing else to be changed.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not true.
I have Osram H4-LED in VW Golf Mk2 and if it fails i will simply swap with halogen. Nothing else to be changed.
i'm talking about FACTORY leds, not kits that you installed in a halogen headlight.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turn on CC subtitles and auto translate.

This is a massive upgrade for my tiny alternator.
I even upgraded my rear lights with (also) Osram HL P21W. Car can be seen from far away. Massive upgrade for a safety.

Regarding CCT, i am still a lover of nice halogen glow but safety is first when it comes to night drive and unfortunately 6500K will keep you awake and seeing details on the road more sharply and with more details is a winner for me.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean the Aviation fuel that is used by all small aircraft across North America and probably even the world? The Avgas that still contains lead? That leaded gas?
Seem like that is what he is talking about, lead 100LL is alive and well, aint going anywhere for a near future. more expensive than car gas a bit, last time i filed up it was around 5 bucks iirc, 2x 25 gal tanks, I heard lambo suv from 80s tank fits 75 gal.

theory816

Newly Enlightened
I agree with this. Halogen is cheap and effective. And they're even more effective with projectors, which is still cheap. LEDs chips are still costly and if they go out, your replacing the entire unit.

If anything is to be phased out, it's the HIDs, which sucks because HIDs look so good.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually as far as automotive applications, halogens are not cheaper nor simpler if you consider all variables. designers have to make halogen lights assessable for bulb replacement, leds do not have to be. halogen light assembly needs to be vented, halogens make lots of heat inside the headlight, great temp difference inside/outside creates its own challenges, led can be sealed, and make almost no heat inside the assembly, heat sinks move heat away from the back of the led. I have little doubts in 10 years you probably wont find any halogen headlights worldwide, regardless of the vehicle price. today there are still plenty of factories tooled to produce bulbs and halogen lights, but they gradually getting phased out. another reason may be that there are still active contracts, and well as political reasons.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
Actually as far as automotive applications, halogens are not cheaper nor simpler if you consider all variables.

Not true. Halogen lamps are cheaper to manufacture over LED lamps. See HERE and HERE.

designers have to make halogen lights assessable for bulb replacement, leds do not have to be.

A lot of new vehicles are equipped with a form of a standardized LED replacement bulb for fog, turn, DRL and brake/stop functions. Osram, Lumileds, Ichikoh and Toshiba are a few of the major providers for these LED bulbs.

A standardized LED headlight bulb designed with optics specifically for this LED may be in our future as well.

exchange LED lamps 2.png

exchange LED lamps.png

halogen light assembly needs to be vented, halogens make lots of heat inside the headlight, great temp difference inside/outside creates its own challenges, led can be sealed, and make almost no heat inside the assembly, heat sinks move heat away from the back of the led.

Not true exactly. Though LED bulbs don't generate IR heat like halogen, the lamp must still be vented to avoid condensation. You won't find a OEM LED headlamp that isn't designed with a proper ventilation system.