• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

OT: Hawaii Tsunami warning

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. I am in an evacuation zone but I stayed awake and alert with a good bail out plan and didn't leave my house. Lost a nights sleep but that was the extent of it. I did watch and photograph some incredible rapid tide changes today just down the street. My thoughts go to those near the epicenter of the quake and tsunami.

jiuong

Newly Enlightened
Good to hear that you are OK. My condolences to those affected as well.

Barefootone

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I am in an evacuation zone but I stayed awake and alert with a good bail out plan and didn't leave my house. Lost a nights sleep but that was the extent of it. I did watch and photograph some incredible rapid tide changes today just down the street. My thoughts go to those near the epicenter of the quake and tsunami.

Don,
It's so good to hear you are OK and only lost a nights sleep.
I pray for all those poor souls that have been so devastated.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
Don,
It's so good to hear you are OK and only lost a nights sleep.
I pray for all those poor souls that have been so devastated.
My feelings also-from what I have heard this could even be a lot worse, some say that the big one is still yet to come (overdue by 20 to 30 years) and that the damage could be beyond measure. My wishes are with you and yours. please keep us updated, all the best.

Last edited:

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Don...

A voice from the past.

I`m glad to hear that you`re OK. When I learned of these matters and the tsunami warning for Hawaii, my thoughts were immediately about you.

Continued best wishes to you, my friend!

:)

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not religious, but I would like to ask everyone to pray for the safety of my family. They're in Taiwan, but I haven't been able to get a hold of them since the tsunami. Hopefully they are alive and well. Thank you.

Shao

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Shao,
I hope you hear from your family soon and that all is good.

Our neighborhood was supposed to evacuate and I suspect most folks did. I live at the top of the hill on a dead end street and frankly suspect I share similar elevations to other areas which are out of the tsunami inundation zones as identified by the state. At the back end of my yard is an ~10' retaining wall and behind it is an over flow parking lot for a condo complex. This lot is even in level with the top of the wall. On the wall is a 6' fence which I can easily scale. After the tsunami warning we had about a year ago, I placed an aluminum ladder behind the banana trees and against this wall. I can climb the ladder and reach higher ground. Beyond this parking lot is the upper road which delineates the boundary of the tsunami zone. There is a chain link fence separating the lot from the upper road and in an emergency I suspect I could cut this fence without getting into too much trouble. I have bolt cutters in my van and in both evacuation events I parked my van up in this lot adjacent to where my ladder provides access to it.

Last year, the tsunami was scheduled to hit the island in the late morning and we had beautiful clear skies and no problem looking down at the ocean and watching for anomalies. It was a good exercise to force a plan of response and I am glad it happened for that reason. This tsunami arrived at O-Dark thirty and probably for a lot of us, the overriding desire was just to go to sleep!! There was no moon and it was really dark out. Our neighborhood is fed by buried power lines that run under the lower road which is not much above sea level. These comments and observations are leading up to the point I wanted to make which is somewhat in line with this forum. Flashlights were a critical element! I have a SunDrop mounted on a ball cap that I use every night when I go out and catch bugs and this rig was ideal when I parked my van in the upper lot and had to make my way over the fence and down the ladder. This time of year we have crab spiders everywhere as well as these large garden spiders which like to set up bug nets in the banana trees. I had to relocate a number of webs and spiders in my path and having the cap covering my balding head added some security. :) I returned to my TV and kept watching for updates and indication of the tsunami's magnitude as it passed other islands on its way towards Maui. When the projected arrival time came and went, I spent some time up on my roof gazing downslope and listening for the ocean's creep.

In addition to a Haiku I had clipped on my waist and sapphire in my pocket, I had a Makai available which I figured I could use to look down slope, towards the ocean or as the Hawaiians would say, "Makai". Had the tidal surges inundated the lower road and took out the power, it would have been impossible to tell what the ocean was doing without an artificial light source and hopefully one that could reach out a fair distance. I was prepared to use my Makai for a Makai watch and although the threat was that of ocean water going beyond its bounds, the Makai was more than up to the challenge as were the other lights on hand. I, on the other hand, was not as well suited and tempted to just lay down on my roof and get some sleep.

There is no good time for a tsunami but I certainly have a preference for daylight hours if one is to arrive!!

So that's my story and blatant plug for lights but in no way do I mean to make light of the real tragedy this event brought about.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I want to say how sorry I am for all the people of Japan. Before I was a photographer, I worked as a high level executive in the motorcycle racing industry. I have visited Japan, and was treated so nice by all especially Honda, but, this is not the post for those events.

I have also made contacts with Nikon over the years, and see that they are having some trouble.

Hope everyone I know is doing ok.

In a gesture, I am going to spend a like crazy this week on Nikon, and all things from Japan. While this always is, and will be in an off way be fun, I do not see it that way, but I think they will need economic help, and spending is a good cure. I may donate some or most of it to schools.

Believe me, I have a panoramic view out my front window of our beautiful desert mountains...they are really the San Andreas Fault, we are next for the big one, and when LA and California fall, the world will come to a stop, since the rebuilding will be unbelievable. But, that may well be what pulls us out of the Great Recession.

Stand strong Japan!

wyldthng

Newly Enlightened
Hi Don
I admire your work and must confess I had a thought about you when I heard Hawaii was going to be hit. Glad you are ok.
Shao, hope your family is ok and you hear from them soon.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shao,
I hope you hear from your family soon and that all is good.

Still nothing :( ... Thanks for the hope though. I'm sure they're OK. I can feel it. My Taiwanese family has been trying to get me to move to Taiwan since I was 3 years old. Tsunamis scare me though... and earthquakes... Sure, we get hurricanes here, but I've become desensitized to those already.

Don't worry about it, I didn't take it as a flashlight plug. One day when I'm rich enough to own one of your lights, I'll understand. :D

Shao

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast