Out of control EDC lights... do I need help?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gladius+FM34, 2xL2D-CE, FT-01XSE P4, and L0D-CE, so five total. They actually kind of blend in among the other, more ordinary things I belt carry, like my wallet and cell phone.

Quick! To the Batcave!

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

At the moment I have SF Milky L1 and E1D w/ LF bulb fasten to my jeans. In my jacket I have SF E2D w/ LF bulb (or A2) and JETBeam MKII AA. On my neckwallet I have ARC AAA and I also use to have another neck lanyard on/with me where I have an Photon CR2-Ion stucked in a Bite-a-Lite mouth-piece, and Aunoc AAAA. In my backpack I have SF G3 w/ LF bulb, Mini Maglite AA TerraLux White LED and also one with a Red LED (will be replaced by SF L1 Red LED which is on its way...) and an UK 2L. And most importently, spare lamps and batteries!!

Since I never know when I would be needing or depending on a light, I always think worst case senario and try to have lights there after... :sweat: Therefore I always keep LED's and incans on me, not only one type of lights. Some lights should be on person at all times because to often when you suddenly need a light it is either in your home (?), car, backpack, suitcase, jacket or on your keys that your for some reason :oops: don't have with you at the time (been there, done that...) :ohgeez: :hairpull:

The main reason for my choice is that after reading here on CPF that LED's and Incans have different effect in rain, fog (firesmoke), snow, under water, indoor or outdoor, I always like to have at least one of each on person. An Red LED is perfect in the car at night for map reading... or as someone also mention here on CPF, avoid mosquitos at night...

So, I guess you can never have to many lights on you as long as it suits your needs and you feel comfortable :)

Just my 2c

PA

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

adirondackdestroyer said:
...Why do you carry two A2's? Have you ever actually needed both of them? I personally have never needed a red LED light, so I don't really understand why some people do...

I have two reasons for carrying the pair. First off, the LED colors are different, for differnet uses. I use the white most often, but when I'm doing astronomy or reading signs, etc. in darker places, I'll use the red light so I don't mess up my dark adapted vision. I'm somewhat nocturnal, so I spend a lot of time in the dark - and I don't always want a blinding white light blazing away.

The second reason is as a backup - in case the bulb dies on one A2 I have the other to fall back on.

As for whether I've ever needed both, it's not really a matter of need most of the time - I just find that I end up using both throughout the average day.

Best wishes,
Bawko

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, I should probably consider adding a red LED light to my EDC, however it would need to be a red photon on my keyring - anything else would be too bulky. Right now I'll carry my keyring which has a green photon clone and usually a P1D-CE clipped onto it, and if I'm planning to be outside for an extended period of time or at night I'll grab another reasonably high powered light such as my nuwai X-3 and probably also my L0P as another backup, and I usually also have a white photon freedom hanging around my neck ^_^

My coat also has a couple of cheap photon clones permanently left in one of the pockets just incase. I envy those of you that somehow have enough pocket space to be able to carry larger lights regularly. I get a bit shy still about looking silly with bulging pockets if I EDC a lot of large items :)

I want to get hold of both an L2D-CE and L1D-CE - and EDC the L1D-CE all the time with the P1D-CE, with the L2D-CE coming with me for extended outings at night. I think I'm focusing too much on one brand though (fenix)... I need to look at others but I'm not sure what to go for -_- I'm still new to all this ^_^

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strauss said:
Boy, I remember when school WAS the safe place to be :sigh: And that wasn't even too long ago...

the problem is with the city around the school, which according to the statistics last year there were 400+ robberies, 1100+ car thefts(mine included), 45 rapes, and a whole lot of murders, and the city encloses the school so you have to go into the city to go home.

on campus there are robberies too though so no one is safe.

dalekcommander

Newly Enlightened
I get the feeling that there will never be "one" light that will do itall - effectively. But we all only have one hand to hold the light with while the other will be performing some kind of task.
Don't know about you guys - or gals - but I don't give my light to anyone.
SO. although I do own 5 lights, I only ever carry one or two with me at a time.
I switch them out depending on what type of environment I expect to be in for a majority of my time away from the batcave.
A small S&W might fit into my jacket pocket for a dinner/movie date.
The larger Falcata rides on my belt for the walk to work.
My new M90 sits in its holster on my belt (Falcata, now in bag) when I'm at work.

I also change batts out on a regular basis, regardless of time used, to reduce the chances of having a dead stick when I need a working light the most.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... I don't think anyone else has said it so I will.

There's plenty of room in my pockets for lights 'cause there's no longer any money in there!

Illum

Flashaholic
depends on what you meant by the deep end

my typical EDC exceeds 8-10 lights, mostly small units...but still counts as EDC:grin2:

if im by myself [I.E. no car or backpack] the average EDC lights is 4

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
Better safe than sorry. If you have room in your pockets, go for it.

I usually carry just one light on me and currently that's the L4. I just put the lanyard on it a few days ago, seeing how that works out.

My backpack is goes almost anywhere I do, so I keep both microlights and a Stylus in there. The L2D will be added to the mix once I get a new reflector.

That's 4, soon to be 5. I won't count the Dorcy 1aaa inside my coat since spring is coming.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to carry a few lights. I'm now down to three sources of light: green glowring, white Photon Freedom, and my phone's built-in flashlight. With as bright as keyring lights are nowadays, I don't find a reason to carry much else. I like the cool and expensive lights for use at home or when I know I will need a light, but not for EDC. I try to keep the EDC as small and effective as possible. Its so nice not carrying a bunch of heavy stuff around.

Oh, and my phone's flashlight (Sony Ericsson 810i) puts out quite a bit more light than my Photon. It just requires a little bit more effort to get to... :)

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
Atomic_Chicken said:
Does anyone else here think that maybe I've gone off the "flashaholic" deep-end in this respect?

Bawko...I think you went off the deep-end awhile ago, but it has little to do with this particular thread. :nana:

At any rate, I do have one question. How often do you actually use each light? I can understand one that you always use and one back-up that rarely sees use (other than the occasional function-check). With the A2 (sorry, A2s), do you really need two other lights? Would you say you use 2-3 of the lights each day, or is there enough overlap that your A2 (sorry again...one of your A2s) could pull double-duty to make that light superfluous?

By the way, I'm only giving you a hard time. Personally, I think three lights is a bare minumum for EDC. One for use, one for backup, and one for whitewall hunting (after all, most bathroom stalls these days are awfully plain...need SOMETHING to look at in there). :grin2: If I could carry 10 lights, I probably would. Carry on, brother!!

~~Mike

NextLight

Enlightened
I think the soluition to this problem is broader interests, and/or more hobbies. If you are carring a primary handgun, a reload or two, a backup gun, a PDA, and a two-way radio, in addition to your primary EDC light, backup light, keychain light, and cell phone, most users will have enough load-out they will >often< leave other lights in the car, office, or logically placed throughout the home.

Something to look forward to...

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

NextLight said:
I think the soluition to this problem is broader interests, and/or more hobbies. If you are carring a primary handgun, a reload or two, a backup gun, a PDA, and a two-way radio, in addition to your primary EDC light, backup light, keychain light, and cell phone, most users will have enough load-out they will >often< leave other lights in the car, office, or logically placed throughout the home.
Something to look forward to...

Hmm... you've just described me. I carry a handgun, PDA, cellphone, multitool, Benchmade, and sunglasses every day. The cellphone is the only one I would voluntarily leave home if possible - I hate those things! :)

You know... a lot of people think that all that "stuff" is too bulky and heavy, but I have no problem with the weight - it's not having something when I need it that bothers me!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

KentuckyMike said:
Bawko...I think you went off the deep-end awhile ago, but it has little to do with this particular thread. :nana:

At any rate, I do have one question. How often do you actually use each light? I can understand one that you always use and one back-up that rarely sees use (other than the occasional function-check). With the A2 (sorry, A2s), do you really need two other lights?...

Actually, it just kind of evolved that way. I started with one keychain light, then found that I was using a red L1 all the time when I was looking through my telescope and comparing what I was seeing to starcharts, so after forgetting my red L1 occasionally I started looking for a keychain mounted red light. After I had both keychain lights, I started carrying my red A2 with me toward the start of last year for situations when I would need a lot of light, because my white X1 keychain light had fairly low output. For a while, I tried replacing all my lights with just a Kroma after I got that around last Christmas, but found that I missed my keychain lights for their handiness. Started carrying them again. After my recent A2 binge, I realized that I really liked having both the red and white model with me, so that brings us up to the current 4-light configuration. I'll probably take the red light off my keychain soon... but wanted to see what people thought of the 4-light madness on this thread first! :D

Oh... by the way, I find that I use both A2's almost every day, so it does seem to be a configuration that works well for me so far.

Best wishes,
Bawko

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
Now you've got me thinking...

You actually seem to get a lot of use out of all of those lights. This means that by only having one or two on me at any given time, I must be missing out on something. An hour and half ago I was ribbing you, now I'm seriously trying to figure out how I can get more lights into my everyday clothes....

For starters, cargo pants for days I'm working at headquarters and painter's jeans for out and about...pockets have to be my best friend here. While we're at it, maybe a Tilley or 5.11 vest. If I find a way to carry the P1 and E1L for general tasks, the white A2 and blue keychain LED for specialized tasks, and a red LED light for night vision, reading charts...that really ought to cover me. Oh, and we can't forget the G2 w/ P61 "Throw-Monster" for ultra-output needs! See, I thought the A2 could replace every light I ever owned, but every time I pick up one of the other lights, I'm reminded of how much I liked carrying it and how useful it was. Your response reaffirms that feeling. It's not nostalgia that keeps drawing me back to the old standbys, it's just simple logic...one light really CAN'T do it all.

Maybe I just need to find the wagon I used to drag around behind me during my early days.... :ohgeez:

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, Atomic! Much appreciated.

~~Mike

Last edited:

cdosrun

Enlightened
I understand your concern, but I think it is a matter of personal nature and preference. I used to carry a Mini-Mag for years and when people at college started commenting on it, I joined here after lurking for a while and bought a Fenix P1, then E0 and E1. The E0 stayed on my keyring and everything was much smaller than before. The E1 made its way to my keyring as well, and then the P1 was replaced with both a P1D-CE and L2D-CE; that is the way it stays today. I will probably keep it like that until someone starts making comments again, probably slim it down a little once more.

The point I was trying to make, rather ineloquently, is that my character is to try and keep as much of this stuff on me in case I need it (and sometimes, I do). You can try to change it in the short-term but character wins in the end. I think a lot of people here are the same, they carry as much as they feel comfortable doing (or is legal in their country). If I ever have a girlfriend again I will undoubtedly slim it down once more (they don't seem to like lots of stuff in pockets :-( )

Otherwise, enjoy being prepared when situations arise!

Andrew

Patriot

Flashaholic
Naw, you're ok Atomic Chicken. The only time that I only have one in my pocket is when I'm doing things around the house. Even if I hit the Jack in the Box drive through a mile from my house I take a L2 or L4 or U2 and LOD-CE. But when I'm out and about I usually take 3 light sources. Once I had to let a Target employee use my L4 to help customers out of the back of the store. The power had just gone out and the emergency lights failed to come on. After we got everyone out, the employee said.."what the heck is that thing?"

DM51

Flashaholic
This from earlier today in this thread…

Atomic_Chicken said:
…. that brings us up to the current 4-light configuration. I'll probably take the red light off my keychain soon... but wanted to see what people thought of the 4-light madness on this thread first!
Atomic_Chicken said:
Oh... by the way, I find that I use both A2's almost every day, so it does seem to be a configuration that works well for me so far.

Best wishes,

Bawko
HOWEVER… what gentle readers of this thread did NOT know was the extent to which BIRD FLU had already afflicted our beloved OP here. The strain of this magnificent virus is known as A2N7:

Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!
Atomic_Chicken said:
DM51 said:
He's done it again!!!
DM51 said:
Yes... up to 7 now. I'm going to use 2 of them (one of the whites and the blue) as modding platforms to prototype an idea I have to get a 2-color A2... I'll keep you informed!

Best wishes,

Bawko
!!!

Last edited: