OVERDRIVE - XENON VS KRYPTON

highflasher

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

Have tried 6.3-Volt 0.77-Amp Xenons on 6 AA Nimhs. Instaflashed once in about five times and the other four times the bulbs did last a considerable duration of time and use. Would like to try 6-Volt 1-Amp Krypton on the same 7.2-V Nimh pack. What I am trying to gain is a more whiter and brighter output. My questions are -

• Would the overdriven Krypton last longer than the overdriven Xenon, or survive its specified life hours?

• Would the overdriven Krypton give a more brighter and whiter output than both the spec-driven and overdriven Xenon?

• Have read that Krypton could be safely overdriven than Xenon. To what limit can we overdrive the Kryptons?

Thanks!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The xenon bulb superseded the krypton bulb, so it should be brighter at equivalent voltage; no idea if the krypton will simply accept more volts. Is the overdriven 6 volt bulb brighter than a correctly driven 9 volt one?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Krypton bulbs usually gave "whiter" light in flashlights I used

PS: try to add some kind of "1st powerup protection", then overdriving wont do much damage (than without)
a ramp-up driver is the best option (but difficult to add because of size),
a NTC of ~1 ohms, or even less, is much easier to put into.
This fights the very high "strike" when the wire has not been powered and is "cold"