Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2021

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just put some Eneloop Pro's in my flashlight, but then noticed this statement on the back of the package.

"Do not use in water proof flashlight or any device with an air tight battery compartment.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 62465

View attachment 62466

Carry On!

I've heard that they 'outgas', which of course causes a pressure rise in a sealed container. I believe that's considered 'normal', or to be expected, rather than some impending cell failure(?). Many have noted such things as bulging tailswitch 'rubber' actuator caps, etc. How much of a concern its it / can it be? I don't think I've met anyone yet who actually knows. I do know I would put a caution on the packaging, just as they have. If one can't completely eliminate an issue, it's best to document it. That's not something 'sinister', it's common sense to me. That said, there's a lot of things I ain't, and don't pretend to be, and one is a 'chemist'.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. Really surprised that they do so well after literally thousands of cycles. By contrast, I have some Tenergy that after 2 years were worn out.

Yeah mine still run like new, low internal resistance. Nickel metal batteries are pretty amazing in their own way, still have some Rayovacs from 1999 that will power lights. Not high end lights but they'll push 30 lumens at least. They don't have the same runtime as new.

I think Eneloops are very well designed that they're pushing the boundaries for the nickel metal battery tech.

Burgess

Flashaholic
No exaggeration, folks --

I still have Sanyo Eneloop AA's
which were the Very First ones I ever purchased
in Summer of 2007, (mfg. in 2006) from Circuit City.

Use these EVERY SINGLE DAY in my 47's
Quark AA 2-cell flashlight.
# truth

Yes, of course I have purchased LOTS more
of these beauties since then.
Truly a game changer in the Flashaholic world.

No surprise they now have high internal resistance
(perhaps 2.20 on my Maha charger)
But they keep on going and going . . . .

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have Sanyo Eneloop AA's
which were the Very First ones I ever purchased
in Summer of 2007, (mfg. in 2006) from Circuit City.

Use these EVERY SINGLE DAY in my 47's
Quark AA 2-cell flashlight.

Hey, I have you beat by a few months. I still have eight AA Eneloops I bought back in 2006, shortly after they first came out. I also used them in my 47's Quark for many years. However, they eventually wore down so that the flashlight was no longer able to put out max brightness. So, I relegated them to use in remote controls and a small radio. They're still working, and hold a charge well. Not much power output from them anymore, but after almost 18 years I can hardly complain.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just charged a set of three AAA dated from 2005 they have been used a lot they are currently on my xtar dragon for a refresh. The IR on them is over 100m ohms on two of them and 210 m ohms on the other I will let you know what the refresh value is. One has Chinese characters on it the others do not.
Update: the shown capacity on my Xtar Dragon was around 750mah charge and 650mah discharge. Not bad for 19 year old batteries.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, I ran 2 discharge tests on my Skyrc MC3000 today. Discharge rate of 0.25A, down to 0.9v. That should allow for about the highest capacity level, while still providing a realistic drain in a 1xAA flashlight of about 30-40 lumens.

The first Eneloop has been lightly used, and has a date stamp of 2017. It tested at 1906mAh, total energy is 2.327Wh. That's its minimum rating when new, and it has held up very well. Aging alone doesn't seem to degrade Eneloops much, at least over a period of several years.

The second Eneloop has been used regularly, and has a date code of 2012. Its capacity is 1801mAh, total energy 2.151Wh. Considering its age and use, it has held up very well.

BTW, I also tested a brand-new Amazon rechargeable NiMH battery. (Chinese made.) It was almost exactly the same as the 2017 Eneloop. I doubt the Amazon batteries will hold up as well as my Eneloops have.