overwelmed!

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
I'm open to an LED light,
But Brightness really is my main concern.
The PT 40 looks ideal, But i dont like the fact its a twist on, A button is preferable, and a tail switch would be great.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a light to carry in your pocket...

I'll put my vote in for two lights that are a little under-appreciated (IMO); the PT Rage and Attitude.

For the size (and the cost) the $9 Rage (@ TTS) is an amazing light! REALLY bright, compact and light.

THe Attitude is the same size (interchangeable heads in fact!) and puts out just the right amount of light (also IMHO). Dim enough not to overwhelm as a task light and bright enough for the vast majority of flashlight usages. Plus, its batteries will last a very, very long time.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by WarrenI:
Surge...running with 8 1600mA NiMH AA cells. ...slightly dimmer ... bulb has a lot longer life.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is highly encouraging! NiMH is definitely my battery of choice...my Surge is on the way!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My UK 4AA AS2 (with switch) is a very decent little light. It makes a slightly oval beam that will pretty well light my hand from about2 feet away, and spreads out nicely at around 12 feet. It will adequetly light up something 30-50 feet away. It has some faint rings, and a slightly brighter spot in the middle. It is very compact and easy to use.

It is NOT in the same class as my TEC 40. I run a KPR103 bulb with Alkys from Rayovac. It is on the original set which were fresh when I put them in and lit up the 103 the first time. I haven't blown a bulb yet. It is a bit shorter than the UK. The bodies are the same size. The head on the PT is at least half again larger. It makes a very slightly oval beam with a nice fat spot and LOTS of spill. It will also light up my hand from about 2 feet. It has some rings and such but they are way out in the spill... the spot is killer! Because you CAN modify the bulb in the TEC, it is at least 30% brighter (maybe 50%) and will throw a LOT farther. My TEC 40 is the most impressive output for size of anything I own.

So get the UK for east to use and decently bright. Get the TEC 40 for knock your socks off bright!

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
Tec 40 it is then
smile.gif

what kind of run time can i expect with the tec 40 and the XPR / KPR bulbs? (which bulb is better?.. im am clueless on bulbs)
and with the bulb in the Tec 40 is it as a bright as a surge?

Also having never used an LED light, what power rating is the streamlight 4aa LED, i cant find any information on it, just the run time.
Is it actually bright?

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sorridsky:
I've decided the SL 4AA LED would be a good daily carry light...for a backup light I want another 4AA light
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, if you are carrying a great LED you won't likely need any other light for close up work. Your LED, I believe, will be totally satisfying for that use.

It won't be any good for long throw, though. So, I'd encourage you to get used to your LED light (it'll spoil you!). Then, you'll be lookin' for something with really great throw.

Could be Surge or possibly a 2x123a based light.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Sorridsky:
Tec 40 it is then
smile.gif

what kind of run time can i expect with the tec 40 and the XPR / KPR bulbs? (which bulb is better?.. im am clueless on bulbs)
and with the bulb in the Tec 40 is it as a bright as a surge?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorridsky,

Unfortunately, The TEK 40 will lose considerable runtime with the brighter lamp.

Everyone's need is different, but I prefer the best compromise between runtime and brightness along with the smallest possible size. This is why I prefer the UK4aa (or Q40) to the Tek. The Tek is an excellent light and I have two of them which I've used fairly extensively, along with several UK 4AA's and Mini Q40's (a slightly shorter version with a twist-on switch). The Tek 40's beam, using a textured reflector, is smoother than the UK's but the UK will throw further, especially if the #480 lamp is used.

According to my tests The UK has a longer functional burn time than the TEK. You can count on at least 3-3.25 hours of decent light+ from the UK (with alkalines) as opposed to 2.5-3hrs in the Tek 40. With lithiums the UK will give you a minimum of 4.5hrs of good, usuable light and will continuing burning for another 30-45minutes (or more. I have not used rechargeables with either light.

The new UK4AA also has a cleverly designed "clickie" switch which is ingeniously integrated into the body so that it takes up no additional space. You can effortlessly activate it with thumb or index/second finger for inverted carry.

The light is unusually compact because of its small head and isn't much bigger than a 2x123 light and with lithiums is lighter than many of them.(I haven't yet tested the Tek 40 with lithiums)

Both the UK4AA and the TEK40 are completely waterproof. Probably as many Flashaholics prefer the UK as the TEK. It really is a personal choice because you won't go wrong with either light.

Brightnorm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Some folk report success in running Xenon (XPR) bulbs over driven. I have not had success doing that.

I drive several different Krypton (KPR) bulbs anywhere from 1 cell over to driving a 6 cell M*g bulb with three CR123 cells (9V).

Kryptons almost always last better than Xenons or Halogens in my case.

Also, as my TEC 40 came with a Halogen, I never really liked it that way. The KPR103 really made a WORLD of difference. The Halogen bulb was somewhat ringy and artifacty. I find in several cases that an overdriven, brighter bulb will take out some bad rings and artifacts. In cases where it won't... well that's what Writeright is made for!

Lastly, I can't speak about overall runtime. I am still on the same bulb and batteries after at least an hour of possibly a hundred or more times of a few seconds to minutes each time.

The UK would go all the way down in a pocket better, but leaving the head up on the TEC makes it easy to get to.

It's a damn shame the Impact isn't as nice and useful as the Attitude. But the Attitude would probably make you at least as good a walking/task light as anything, and the TEC 40 for when you need to see something a ways off (or blind an assailent so you can run!)

The SL 4AA 7LED might be a Super walking/task light (I would like to acquire one myself!)

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
ok, ok, ok.
I think i got it sorted
smile.gif

I have no experiance with LED lights, but I can see the relative benefits.

So on your recomendations I've decided the SL 4AA LED would be a good daily carry light. (+ its got a tail switch)
smile.gif

But then for a backup light I want another 4AA light, and cant decide between the UK4AA or PT40+XPR103... its a tough choice!

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
thankyou everyone for your helpfull input,
im still umming and erring over my daily carry light.
I'll have the tec 40 in my pack, the surge at home, and the arc round my neck, the maglite in the car.. hehe
But for my pocket I'm worried about the size and durability of the SL 4AA 7LED.
So I've been buzzing around looking for a super tough metal pocketable Bright LED flashlight with Tail switch and pocket clip.
There doesnt seem to be many options that dont use the expensive CR123A batterys.

dirobesh

Enlightened
Sorridsky, 123 lithium batteries don't have to be expensive, I bought 12 of the new type panasonic ones for £14.75 delivered from 7dayshop last week.

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
i use 7dayshop alot for my camera film,
Thats still to expensive for me. they sell a box of 48 Panasonics AA's for £10, More my relm!
smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The UK 2L is completely pocketable and uses the exact same lamp and bezel assembly as the UK 4AA. It's my favorite light and I keep mentioning it because it doesn't seem appreciated enough on this board. Unfortunately it's about $25, plus uses lithium batteries which cost more than AA's. I love it for its size though, and rarely use it more than a minute or so at a time, so battery cost isn't a big issue. I'm thinking of getting an SL6 or Surge just out of flashaholism, but really the 2L is as bright as I need. When I need more runtime I have a Mag 3D which has about the same brightness but runs for 15+ hours on three D cells.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my humble, newbie opinion, no flashlight collection should be complete without at least one Surefire. In my limited experience, they are *the* benchmark for brightness, construction, quality etc etc.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't like the turn the head switch of the PT 40 ? Get the Streamlight 4AA Xenon with a clickie switch. Same format as the 4AA LED SL. I love mine.

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
Hmm, that SL 4AA Xenon w. clicke sounds good, didn't know it existed. How's the beam? Is the reflector textured? Can anyone tell from the specs which is brighter, Tec40+xpr103 or SL4AA? Thanks!

paulr

Flashaholic
The SL 4AA uses a a smooth reflector integrated with the lamp. Consensus from other threads is that the Tec40 with stock bulb is somewhat brighter than the SL 4AA. On the other hand the Tec is a bit bigger. From what I've seen I'd probably get the Tec40 over the SL4AA. For a small light I prefer the UK 4L. If I want AA operation in a larger size I might as well also go for the Tec40's higher output and cheaper/easier to find PR base bulbs.

Regarding the Surge, you might also consider the UK SL6. The SL6 is brighter than the Surge, has much more throw (narrower beam), and is apparently better constructed (many stories of Surge failures). Its downside is heavier weight because of its six C cells (20 ounces loaded vs around 11 ounces). I spent a bunch of time last night researching both lights, as it happens.

Finally, if you really want a daily user, consider a rechargeable light like an Ultrastinger (CPF favorite). That's certainly the way to save on batteries. A similar light (S&W FL10) is available on Ebay for around $40 but I don't know of anyone who's done a direct comparison.

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
paulr, thanks for the info. Hmm, too bad; neither one of the two has everything I wanted. Tec40 lacks the switch I want, and SL4AA, well, not interested in the lamp/reflector thing, non-faceted to boot.

Surge: got one, sort of; waiting on replacement from PT for failed bulb mount...

Not that I really need any of these anyways, but if the perfect small, cheap, light, 4+AA powered light existed, I'd make room for it.