Ozark trail $1.00 50 lumen plastic flashlight

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are cheap lights, no doubt. The metal ring that is needed to make contact with the tail cap came out with the battery carrier the 2nd time I took it out - jammed it back in for the to time being but I will have to secure it in place permanently. Also sometimes the light won't turn on after you screw the cap on, although I can get it to work so far after a few tries screwing the cap on - not something to be depended on.

found the last of the hf lights I had kicking around, wanted to compare them to the ozark light, but neither of them work. The batteries in one must have leaked as the tail cap is now welded to the body (don't know what kind of batts it has in it). The other I thought must have had bad batteries but they are the original cheapo carbon zinc cells that came with it and read 1.52V, for some reason there is rust on the carrier, though the batteries don't appear to have leaked and work in the ozark light. BTW the hf and ozak carriers are the same and will interchange.

Bottom line for me - OK lights to give away to someone who needs one. Probably best to consider them semi-disposal when the batteries go dead, unless you have some cheap batteries that you want to use up, it's not really worth replacing the batteries if you have to buy them.

Would much prefer this light in 1 AA format.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
These are cheap lights, no doubt. The metal ring that is needed to make contact with the tail cap came out with the battery carrier the 2nd time I took it out - jammed it back in for the to time being but I will have to secure it in place permanently. Also sometimes the light won't turn on after you screw the cap on, although I can get it to work so far after a few tries screwing the cap on - not something to be depended on.

found the last of the hf lights I had kicking around, wanted to compare them to the ozark light, but neither of them work. The batteries in one must have leaked as the tail cap is now welded to the body (don't know what kind of batts it has in it). The other I thought must have had bad batteries but they are the original cheapo carbon zinc cells that came with it and read 1.52V, for some reason there is rust on the carrier, though the batteries don't appear to have leaked and work in the ozark light. BTW the hf and ozak carriers are the same and will interchange.

Bottom line for me - OK lights to give away to someone who needs one. Probably best to consider them semi-disposal when the batteries go dead, unless you have some cheap batteries that you want to use up, it's not really worth replacing the batteries if you have to buy them.

Would much prefer this light in 1 AA format.
Carbon zinc batteries can leak and it is clear at first then looks rusty or causes metal to rust. Some carbon zinc batteries can measure good but under a load they show up dead. I once had a remote that quit working and the batteries measured 1.5v. The remote would do a few buttons then nothing for awhile. On a load meter the batteries in it dropped to less than 0.5v. It is said under light loads heavy duty or CZ batteries have about 1/3 the capacity of cheap alkaleaks. If you can get cheap alkaleaks for about 25 cents each then CZ batteries are worth about 8 cents each or less IMO.
You can buy 8 packs of them at dollar stores making them worth 12 cents each.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
these take an 18650 with a rolled cardboard strip as a spacer.
iirc they have a 3.3 ohm resistor so they dont go up in smoke on li-ion or nimh.
mine have not faded after several runs.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
was at wm again, looks like they sold out of the lanterns and sold a bunch of the $1 3AAA lights. took out the plastic film and checked out one that had a dim and purple beam, another was bright with a nice beam but the switch was stuck in the on position, bought the third one which has a beam in between the other 2 but has a functioning switch.
So quality is just hit or miss and I got lucky.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
these take an 18650 with a rolled cardboard strip as a spacer.
iirc they have a 3.3 ohm resistor so they dont go up in smoke on li-ion or nimh.
mine have not faded after several runs.
Would you be so kind as to show a pic of this setup? I shoved an old 18650 (LG) in and it shorted near the circuit board.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love these $1.00 lights and I'll tell you why.

One, these are the perfect lights to give out to neighbors (and others) when there is a power outage ..................

This, is actually a very good justification for having a few "throw-away" lights like these, and the reason is, some people still use candles in power outages. I notice that my apartment lease explicitly says "no candles" for lighting purposes due to the fire hazard, but during a few long outages I still saw people around using them.

You really don't want people in the same apartment building as you are to be using a bunch of candles in the middle of the night 🔥

Cheap "insurance" to hand them a cheapo throw-away LED light that'll last through the night at least.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you be so kind as to show a pic of this setup? I shoved an old 18650 (LG) in and it shorted near the circuit board.
did you roll a strip of cardboard like cereal box to take up the slop?
i can see getting a short if the cell was way off center and the spring dug into the insulator.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your $1 light gets intermittant carefully solder where the strip meets the front and rear contact rings.
Otherwise these are decent.
Switch is even ok.
Its a weak spot on other such lights.
No annoying flicke

Latest posts