Ozark Trail 300-Lumen Lantern ... Review

Poppy

Flashaholic
That would be entirely up to you, and I am not suggesting you do cut the wire. (if anything maybe just desolder it so you can put it back after testing)

Rather than carry out potentially destructive testing consider building a rudimentary integrating sphere or box. This can be done quite simply using a lux meter.

The main point of my posting about the measurement you used was to suggest that measuring the battery current is a flawed method of estimating lumens, rather than to suggest you start ripping your light apart.

Rather than go through another 72 hours of testing, I used three new Carbon/Zinc Ds @ ~ 1.6V each= 4.78 V
Three depleted C/Zn s @ 1.38V each = 4.15 V

and a Li-Ion @ 3.99V
---------
I de-soldered the pos wire to the LED, and soldered another to it so that I had something to clip to.
I have two DVTMs one an inexpensive one, and a Fluke.

EDIT:
For each of the three sets of batteries, I took amperage readings with both meters, AND both, before and after the switch (and driver or resistors). I then compared all findings. END EDIT

There was more of a discrepancy between the meters than there was between current measured at the battery and current measured at the LED.
The difference between the meters was about 60ma with the Fluke measuring higher
The difference between ma measured at the LED and at battery was between 0-30ma for all three sets of batteries.

EDIT: Conclusion:
The amperage readings taken between the switch/driver and LED, were comparable to those readings taken between the battery box, and the switch (as presented above). END EDIT

Possible Errors
Other than possible error due to calibrations of the DVTMs (or mabye the quality of the connections to them, each time I changed the set up to measure at the LED or at the Battery, from one DVTM to the other, and one set of batteries to another, the quality of the connections may have changed a little bit adding error, also, since the power was not regulated, the batteries were decreasing in voltage while being used, yet while resting were recovering, and the temperature of the LED varied perhaps adding additional error.

Last edited:

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
so i bought the ozark lantern today from walmart for $15....i tried it out and i like it. i have two siege lanterns and think they are nicer and have some nicer features (the hooks for hanging are nicer, the led lit on switch is nicer, and the fit and finish is nicer). that being said..this ozark lantern cost half the price...i dont think the siege is twice as good...overall i think its a good purchase and think it will be just fine in a black out.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I THINK I read somewhere, that for LOW drain demands that the additional cost of alkalines are not worth the difference when compared to Carbon-Zinc batteries. I was curious to see how well 3D carbon Zinc batteries performed in comparison to 3D alkalines.

Here is the raw data I collected for comparison:

3D Panasonic Carbon-Zinc
hoursAmperesVoltsEst Lumens
450.042.812 lumens
620.022.721 lumen

Here is the synopsis of 3D Alkalines:
Initially the lantern pulled 700 ma high, and 390 ma low. ~210 lumens, and 130 lumens.
At the end of the first hour it was down to about 175 lumens
And at the end of the fifth hour it was just above 120 lumens.
For the seventh through seventeenth hours it was between 100 and 110 lumens.
Hours 18-28 it was between 80-95 lumens.
Hours 29-40 were between 70-80 lumens.
Hours 40-55 were between 40-63 Lumens
Since the Carbon-Zinc batteries took about 40 hours to drop from ~40 lumens to ~1 lumen I imagine that the alkalines would take about 70 hours to do the same. One lumen is not a lot of light, it is similar to a dim night light. Maybe similar to a pak-lite IIRC reppans listed its output at 0.6 lumens.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Gee, here we are at 86 hours, the 3D carbon-Zn batteries are still working.
It's sub-lumen, at a reppans happy 0.3 lumens. I base the estimate by comparing it to my Thrunite Neutron 2C rated at 0.1 lumen.

By the way, these batteries weren't given a rest, as they would be in a real outage. Batteries when allowed to rest recover a bit, such that the output is increased for an hour or so after each rest.

The major battery producers rate the mah capacity by running them for 4 minutes an hour, for an 8 hour day. So they are on for just 32 minutes a day, and are resting the rest of the time. I wonder if they get weekends off! ?

EDIT... another 36 hours later (122 hours) and I estimate that it is a 0.2 lumens.
EDIT... another 13 hours later (135 hours) it seems to be at the same 0.2 lumens, maybe a little less than before, but still more than the 0.1 lumen of my thrunite. Amazingly to me, it is still casting a shadow from my hand onto the white garage door that is 7 feet away, when I hold my hand inches away from the door.
EDIT... another 32 hours later (167 hours) its between 0.1 and 0.2 lumens so let's put it at 0.15 lumens. Honestly, I am surprised that if I let my eyes dark adjust, that it allows me to make things out in the garage 10 feet away in all directions.
EDIT.... at 264 hours it was at about 0.1 lumen
EDIT... 64 hours later it was still at about 0.1 lumen (328 hours)

I'm not a low lumen junkie, and I pulled the plug. I wanted to get to the switch, so I could look at perhaps adding a constant current driver. I found that I can, and ordered one. I'll try to write up the modifications once the parts come in, and I get a chance to play with it.

EDIT: Oh no... after letting the batteries rest for 7 hours, I hooked them back up, and it is putting out about 2 lumens. That's actually plenty for a small room, like a bath-room.

EDIT: Here we are another EIGHT days and nights later, plus 12 hours. An additional 208 hours of light and it is down to about 0.1 lumen. So at this point we are at 532 hours. I'm going to let the batteries rest for the day.

EDIT: I let them rest for 12 hours, and it went back up to about 1 lumen. So here we are another 10 days plus 10 hours for an additional 250 hours. Its at about 0.1 lumen. 782 hours in total so far.

EDIT: Another six days and nights still at about 0.1 lumen for another 144 hours for 926 hours total so far.

EDIT: Another six and a half days and nights, and I pulled the plug... yahoo!!! :) At this point the LED was glowing, but not putting out any meaningful light. So I guess that's an additional 156 hours, for a total of 1082 hours.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad I found this thread. I have two of these lights. I bought them when I needed lanterns during a power outage in northern michigan. I did not own any LED lanterns at the time.

I thought they they worked extremely well. Perhaps even too bright. One lantern on low was enough light output to fill a 400sq ft room no problem.

I did find it hard to shield my eyes from the lantern in any way. It seemed as tho they would be well seved to have one if those top diffusers, the kind that look like a 360 degree bingo visor....lol. I might make some out of milk jug plastic or similar.

That being said, I still am running on the rayovac D cells I put in back in August. Not a lot of hours but still, alkalines aren't known for great shelf life when installed.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad I found this thread. I have two of these lights. I bought them when I needed lanterns during a power outage in northern michigan. I did not own any LED lanterns at the time.

I thought they they worked extremely well. Perhaps even too bright. One lantern on low was enough light output to fill a 400sq ft room no problem.

I did find it hard to shield my eyes from the lantern in any way. It seemed as tho they would be well seved to have one if those top diffusers, the kind that look like a 360 degree bingo visor....lol. I might make some out of milk jug plastic or similar.

That being said, I still am running on the rayovac D cells I put in back in August. Not a lot of hours but still, alkalines aren't known for great shelf life when installed.

LOL yeah milk jugs are amazing if not the slickest looking. I want a bottle that has the color/translucency of a milk jug but not the awkward shape.

Milk jugs do make amazing impromptu lanterns for those of you with nice led lights but no led lantern. Put flashlight on one side into the lantern and boom. Also if too much light is coming out one way you can fill it with water and even leave a tiny bit of milk (or something else like it if you don't want it to get smelly and gross if you use it a while) so it's a little cloudy in the milk-diffuser the light will bounce around inside more. The cool thing is you can often make more effective lanterns for indoors this way than some of the purpose built ones as there is so much diffusion.

I might have to make a thread just on that.