Ozark Trail 6AA light

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yesterday at Walmart I noticed the 500 lumen Ozark Trail 6*AA light currently at $30
I wonder how it compares to the Coleman 6*AA 500 lumen light at $50 ?

They are similarly sized, and about the size of a 2* D mag.
Although the head is about the same size, the reflector inside the Ozark is smaller/narrower than the Coleman

Ozark Trail 6AA OT-500L Flashlight:

• Ultra bright LED technology
  • Aircraft-grade aluminum
  • Impact-resistant construction
  • Micro-textured reflector
  • High/low settings
  • Lifetime bulb
  • 6 AA Duracell batteries (included)
  • Tested to ANSI FL1 standards
  • Low setting: 100 lumens, 38-hour run time, 102 M beam distance
  • High setting: 500 lumens, 7.5-hour run time, 234 M beam distance
  • 1 M impact resistance
  • Material: aluminum
  • Color: gray and orange
  • Dimensions: 9.65"L x 2.15"W x 2.15"H
  • Weight: 0.97 lb
  • Model# 20047

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Coleman has a different low mode; can't remember which is which, but one of the two has a low mode of 50% and the other is ~25%.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Pretty sure the Coleman is the 50% one, which is dumb; the Ozark's 100 lumen low would be an awesome power outage ceiling-bounced dining/living room light, especially with six AAs of runtime.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Pretty sure the Coleman is the 50% one, which is dumb; the Ozark's 100 lumen low would be an awesome power outage ceiling-bounced dining/living room light, especially with six AAs of runtime.

Yeah, that in part is why I mentioned seeing it (the Ozark). For me, it is kinda big and gumpy, and the head is over-sized for the reflector. I didn't look closely enough to see if it could tail-stand, but the tail cap is a little bit rounded, so it might not, (not that you couldn't throw it into a pot or waste basket as a support).

Those who like the concept of standardizing on AA's may find it a good light, at a lower cost than other 6*AA lights.

MrKnowHow

Newly Enlightened
The Coleman's 150 lumens on low. I double checked with the official website.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both. The OT has a better low and a nice smooth, milky white tint. The Coleman's build quality is better, but both are nice lights.

Last edited:

grafikdihzahyn

Newly Enlightened
I have the Coleman version as a nightstand light. The low mode is noticably dimmer than the "210lm" 3AAA Coleman I have. The run time is ridiculous. I take it hiking/camping a few times a year. Bought it 2 years ago, and only replaced batteries once. Alkaline. Which reminds me, I need to open that thing up and check for battery leakage.

NOTE: The lens on the Coleman does scratch easily, but being a Hiking light that I actually use, it was expected.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Astroscanner tipped us off to a "online one day sale" of the Ozark Trail 500 lm 6*AA light for $10

I got two of them, and should have gotten three more, but they were sold out in a couple of hours.

I don't know what the run-times will be, but the lumen output seems to be right on @100 and 500.

I took it outside last night and it compared favorably to my TN11S. Probably about the same throw, but with a wider beam. White wall hunting, it has similar throw to my older TK35 XML, but less spill, but not enough less to complain about it. As soon as I took it outside and turned it on, I said... oh sh$&*# I should have gotten more.

One, I am gifting to my dad, the other may go to my father-in-law, maybe :rolleyes:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are either of those lights regulated? Whenever I see an led light in that price range that uses batteries in multiples of 3, I always look real close to find out. My guess is they are in a 2S3P configuration, and are probably NOT regulated, which means a slowly declining brightness until nothing, rather than a steady level of illumination until the end. Unless they are regulated, that price point makes them a good grab-and-go light around the house, but not something to be depended upon. For about twice that you can get any one of several Nitecore lights that would be a major step up in reliability and performance. In particular there is my favorite, the EA41. 4 AA, levels of 1/40/120/510 and a turbo of 960, with several hundred meters of throw. Also, it fits inside a toilet paper tube, so actually works pretty well as a somewhat large EDC on your belt.

Poppy

Flashaholic
It is probably UNREGULATED. I haven't run a set of batteries through it yet, but comparing advertised run-times of it to the EA41, it runs much longer for the additional 2 batteries.
EA41 510 lumens 2hours 45 minutes
120 lumens 12 hours

Ozark Trail
500 lumens 7 hours 30 minutes
100 lumens 38 hours.

The batteries are 3series x 2 parallel.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Right. That is what I should have said instead of 2S3P. Three 1.5v cells gives you enough to fire the LED without a boost circuit.

LOL... I knew that you knew that! :)
dyslexic fingers strike again!

I'd like to see a real time output curve.
I'd expect it to drop off quickly but then maintain some level of output for most of the time. I just hope that the level isn't too low. For me @ $10 each, I couldn't go wrong. But like you said, at full price of $30, I didn't buy any, and would probably spend the extra $15 to get a fenix E40, or maybe like you said the $60 and the nitecore EA41.