"P"&"NP" designators on Lithium batteries .

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we need a new battery industry standard to use when referring to "Lithium Ion" batteries - especially the rechargeable version .

I propose we start using a "Designator" at the end of the battery number to signify it's either "Protected" or "Non-Protected".

P = Protected (ie: 18650P)

NP = Non-Protected (ie: 18650NP)

This would eliminate confusion and eliminate the need to type out the entire words when referring to a battery.

Could this standard be implemented . Who could we contact to suggest it ?

Any other thoughts on this from the CPF family ?

Comments welcomed ........

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think people are just too embarrassed to say anything, because they did not think of this themselves.

sound like a good idea to me.

P = protected N= not protected.

regards.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a great idea.
When I was earning my Master's in Technical Communication, I studied the "Duty to Warn." I would take it the P and NP several few steps further:
  • In addition to the P or NP, include a hazard table to clarify which dangers the cell is protected against...or is not:

(The following table should use tabs to align the red bullets below the NP.)

P NP

Overcharge

Overdischarge

Overtemperature!

Overcurrent
  • Include a verbal warning, such as DANGER! NOT PROTECTED Against Overtemperature. Many users will be unfamiliar with the abbreviations.
  • State the hazard and its possible consequence:

If heated above 57 deg. C (140 deg. F), may explode, causing serious injury or death.
  • Include an ISO-standard danger symbol for those who don't understand English.
  • Include symbols in the hazards table, as well.
Yes, it's a lot to include on such a small label. But if the label were designed by a human-factors expert (using a font like Arial Narrow), I think it could be done.

I live just 12 miles from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). I'm tempted to enlist them in this effort. There would have to be significant input from stakeholders: makers, vendors, and users of lithium-ion cells.

Last edited: