• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-XML-U3 / NICHIA 92CRI PART 11

jim_r

Newly Enlightened
XM-L2 S6, 90+ CRI
2.8-6 volts, 3A max, potted
5 level (Moonlight / low 5% / med 30% /med high 40% / hi 100% )
(or 4 level w/moonlight if that's what you have)

OP reflector
Going in a SolarForce L2N with 1x18650

PayPal ****9545P sent

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L2 S6, 90+ CRI
2.8-6 volts, 3A max, potted
5 level (Moonlight / low 5% / med 30% /med high 40% / hi 100% )
(or 4 level w/moonlight if that's what you have)

OP reflector
Going in a SolarForce L2N with 1x18650

PayPal ****9545P sent

Hi

thanks got it.

Got it give me a couple of days to get caught up but should post on Tues.

Dave

jim_r

Newly Enlightened
The XM-L2 High CRI arrived today - thanks, Dave. The tint is excellent, much warmer than the Nichia 219 (which has a very neutral tint) you made for me a while back, with no sense of looking orange. They're both great; the XM-L2 is much brighter, but not surprisingly heats up the light pretty fast on high since it's 3A vs 1.4 for the Nichia. Medium seems plenty bright and is around the same brightness as the Nichia on high. I like them both, for different reasons - I give the personal-preferance nod for High CRI to the Nichia because its neutral tint makes colors look like what I see in daylight, while I like the XM-l2 S6 as it's warmer tint is very easy on the eyes for basic rooting around in the dark.

Here's a couple quick shots I took if anyone is curious how much warmer the XM-l2 S6 (left) is vs the Nichia 219 (right). White balance in the camera was set to daylight.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XM-L2 High CRI arrived today - thanks, Dave. The tint is excellent, much warmer than the Nichia 219 (which has a very neutral tint) you made for me a while back, with no sense of looking orange. They're both great; the XM-L2 is much brighter, but not surprisingly heats up the light pretty fast on high since it's 3A vs 1.4 for the Nichia. Medium seems plenty bright and is around the same brightness as the Nichia on high. I like them both, for different reasons - I give the personal-preferance nod for High CRI to the Nichia because its neutral tint makes colors look like what I see in daylight, while I like the XM-l2 S6 as it's warmer tint is very easy on the eyes for basic rooting around in the dark.

Here's a couple quick shots I took if anyone is curious how much warmer the XM-l2 S6 (left) is vs the Nichia 219 (right). White balance in the camera was set to daylight.

[IG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m490/Grey4040/79106043-5499-498d-87ef-3fbd5a15c1b9_zpsbb74f4c6.jpg[/IMG]

that's an awesome comparison shot, you're right about his quality work too

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi

Great shots.

Yes you are correct about temps on the tints, the Nichia is 4500k while the XML2 is 3000k. For incan lovers the XML2 is almost a perfect match.

Thanks for the comparisons.

Dave

jim_r

Newly Enlightened
Since I have three of Dave's drop-ins, here's another photo where I added the XP-G2 neutral white (R5 flux, 3D tint 5000K). Though not 90+ CRI like the other two I find it does a pretty decent job on colors. Daylight white balance on all shots. The XP-G2, by the way, is the one I grab most often when heading outside.

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also just received the same combo from Dave, an XM-L2 3000K 90 CRI High/Med Strobe and a Nichia 219 Low/Med/High. The XM-L2 is in an L2 host with an 18650 and on my bike. The 219 is in an L2M on either a 16340 or 18650 as a camping/woods wandering/just bumming around after dark jacket pocket light.

The XM-L2 does seem a bit warmer to me than my incans (MN02, 03, HO-E1R, etc.) but the Nichia is cooler.... I think those of us who grew up with incan flashlights for some reason find their tint more comfortable and think it is "ideal." I like my incans, but I'm really impressed with the 219, I think I'm going to need a few more of these.

The XM-L2 really has some output, seems a little brighter on high on 2 x CR123 cells, but I think I'll burn thru them really quick if I keep riding two or three nights a week. Plenty of output on the 18650. As noted, the medium level on the XM-L2 is about the same as the high on the Nichia, though the 219 has a tighter hot spot and seems a bit throwier, but the XM-L2 on high puts out more light and probably beats the Nichia on throw.

Both drop-in seem very well made (I've had a couple of Nallbenders before, so no surprise there). Very pleased with them here.

sac02

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave, I'm interested in buying a red XPE drop-in to use in a solarforce host, as a tail light for my bicycle. My question is - is it possible to customize the driver levels/functions? I want strobe function for the tail light, but not necessarily the full five function driver (H/M/L/sos/strobe). Is it possible to create, say, a High / Low / Strobe driver? Thanks!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave, I'm interested in buying a red XPE drop-in to use in a solarforce host, as a tail light for my bicycle. My question is - is it possible to customize the driver levels/functions? I want strobe function for the tail light, but not necessarily the full five function driver (H/M/L/sos/strobe). Is it possible to create, say, a High / Low / Strobe driver? Thanks!

HI

We don't carry a low high strobe. I have a high / med / strobe that I can build but that is the best I can do.

Dave

sac02

Newly Enlightened
HI

We don't carry a low high strobe. I have a high / med / strobe that I can build but that is the best I can do.

Dave

High/med/strobe could work, but I might just go for the H/M/L/SOS/strobe... I'll think that one over before placing the order.

One more question - what flux bin are the red color XPE's that you're building?

Thanks!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
High/med/strobe could work, but I might just go for the H/M/L/SOS/strobe... I'll think that one over before placing the order.

One more question - what flux bin are the red color XPE's that you're building?

Thanks!

Hi

They really don't put them in flux bins like most emitters, they are sold by kits which have a mixture bins. these are new XPE2's and the highest rating available at this time in red as I am not fond of the red orange. I believe they were a 801 kit.

Dave

Last edited:

jumpin jack flash

Newly Enlightened
Dave (or anyone who knows),

Do you know how the XM-L2 T5 4500K compares to the XM-L T50 4C 4300K, as far as tint?

Thanks

shuvit82

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for some drop-ins for my custom P9 (Oveready) I will run 1-2 18650s in it.
Are the UV drop-ins still out of stock? Are there any alternatives to the CREE UV LED?
Also interested in one of the IR Osram Platinum Dragon?

I would ask this by PM but don't have enough posts on here.

sac02

Newly Enlightened
edit: Dave, I sent you a PM regarding this issue: I think I submitted my PayPal payment with the incorrect default address. I sent you the correct address via PM, but am not sure if you only ship to the PP address or not. Let me know if I need to cancel the original payment and create a new one with the correct address. Thanks

Hi Dave, I would like to order one P60 module for use in a Solarforce host:

PayPal Unique Transaction ID # 7YA24157LU586563B

CREE XPE - $30
real RED
Smooth reflector
1.7 amp with memory
2.8-6 volts 5 levels regulated high / med / low / SOS / strobe

Do you know what the average amperage draw is for this module while operating in strobe mode?

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
edit: Dave, I sent you a PM regarding this issue: I think I submitted my PayPal payment with the incorrect default address. I sent you the correct address via PM, but am not sure if you only ship to the PP address or not. Let me know if I need to cancel the original payment and create a new one with the correct address. Thanks

Hi Dave, I would like to order one P60 module for use in a Solarforce host:

PayPal Unique Transaction ID # 7YA24157LU586563B

CREE XPE - $30
real RED
Smooth reflector
1.7 amp with memory
2.8-6 volts 5 levels regulated high / med / low / SOS / strobe

Do you know what the average amperage draw is for this module while operating in strobe mode?

HI

I don't know off hand what the strobe works at some are 100% some reduced a bit just not sure on these.

Dave

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
NB, is the:
1 level 2.2 amps 3.6-16 volts best for use with Multiple cells.

...the same as the single level D36 modules of similar (same?) voltage input range in that the drive current on these particular drivers cannot be adjusted? I have a C3 I really wanna put to good use ASAP but I don't care to deal with dummy cells on this C3 lol

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
NB, is the:
1 level 2.2 amps 3.6-16 volts best for use with Multiple cells.

...the same as the single level D36 modules of similar (same?) voltage input range in that the drive current on these particular drivers cannot be adjusted? I have a C3 I really wanna put to good use ASAP but I don't care to deal with dummy cells on this C3 lol

Hi

Yes the same driver is the best one level and you are correct the amperage can not be adjusted. It will depend on what emitter you use as to the driver current. It pushes XML2's at about 2.2 amps but pushes XPG2's a bit less.

Dave

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Yes the same driver is the best one level and you are correct the amperage can not be adjusted. It will depend on what emitter you use as to the driver current. It pushes XML2's at about 2.2 amps but pushes XPG2's a bit less.

Dave

gotcha, thanks NB! I'll consider an XM-L2 on that over the next few days!