P60 sized led drop-ins (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got them added. With the stats shamelessly copied and pasted from his website. I hope he does not mind. :thinking: :grin2:

+

Gene Malkoff is really a down to earth kinda guy,...he talks straight and listens.

If he saw that you Copied & Pasted his info, he simply would say,... Thanks!
(then graciously ask what you thought of his work)

icon3.gif

wwglen

Enlightened
Well my DealExtreme "3 Mode + 0-100" SKU-17593 came in tonight.

1st impressions:

Only ONE mode... 0-100% variable with blinks at 25%, 50% and 100%

Double click starts at a VERY LOW low. Low is a lot LESS than my Nightcore NDI which I wished were a little lower. I would get 1 lumen or less. Low has a VERY small hot spot and is low enough to look into the LED.

Brightness on high is about equal to my 11836 one mode with a slightly smaller hot spot.

Did NOT test runtime or through but would expect a crazy runtime on low.

Now the BAD!!!

TERRIABLE PWM rate.

Very noticable flicker on anything but high (or close to it).

WORSE in my opinion than my old 1st generation REXLIGHT that was "supposed" to be flicker free and I had to spend an additional $15 to make it flicker free. At least this is NOT advertized as flicker free.

Final verdict...

Not bad overall.

Will use it as a house / hotel / power outtage light.

MIGHT use it for camping in a tent.

Would probably NOT use it outside much as the flicker would be annoying for walking around outside.
Would probably NOT use it for close in precision work due to the flicker.

I will NOT buy more unless it grows on me. If the flicker was less or a much higher PWM rate I would buy 3 more.

wwglen

Quick update:

PWM isn't as notocable in LOW as I first thought. Moving the light at a reasionable rate of speed and it is not too noticable. Actually probably better than the above rexlight was.

Low is really low. I have a 2-D cell flashlight with a 4 cell 1/2 watt led from the newer dorcy solid state in it that I ran a 3 week run time test and was impressed by the still LOW but usefull output. Well the drop-in is blown away buy the old batteries underdriving the dorcy (resistored) led. I would say that the drop in is about 1/5 or less. Probably less than 1/2 lumin and maybe a lot less. Still good with dark adapted eyes though.

Last edited:

glenda17

Enlightened
I noticed thw PWM flicker on the 14442 DX dropin went away using a single 18650 battery vs 2xRCR123's.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I noticed thw PWM flicker on the 14442 DX dropin went away using a single 18650 battery vs 2xRCR123's.

That makes sense, since it falls out of regulation and runs DD at lower voltages(IIRC).

Bummers about the 17593 PWM flicker, Hopefully its no worse than the 14442. But thats GOOD that its nearly as bright as the 11836. I find my 14442 not quite as bright as my 11836, its slight but noticeable in the field at far distances.

I'm anxiously awaiting my order, looking forward to low-low light from my M2:thumbsup:

wwglen

Enlightened
I am using two primary 123 batteries.

I am leaving it on LOW to see what the run-time looks like.

wwglen

wwglen

Enlightened
So far starting with slightly used Kodak CR123 Primary Batteries:

I am at three days on low with about 30 minutes on medium and 5 minutes on high.

The light still is going and I can still bump the brightness up to 100%

wwglen

lewong

Newly Enlightened
DX said I could return my SKU 17593 that only seems to work in the single brightness adjustment mode.

Orbital - I tried it with one 18650 battery and two 16340 batteries.

Since the LED that came in this particular sample is very nice, I may just replace the board with SKU 7612 that I use in a lot of my lights.

wwglen

Enlightened
Mine only runs in the single brightness mode also.

I actually prefer it this way.

Low is ALWAYS a quick double tap away (if you do it quick enough it you don't even notice the light come on in anything else but low.)

Memory at any level.

I am keeping mine at low and it only takes a couple seconds to set a higher level.

Ony problem I have is PWM flicker.

Not TOO noticiable on low but bad when you bring the brightness up to 15% up to 80% the flicker gets pretty bad for indoor use. Didn't seem as bad outside.

wwglen

CampingLED

Enlightened
DX refers to the: ""hidden" (0%~100%) brightness adjustment mode." Now it turns out that the 3-modes are "hidden" so deep that they are impossible to find.

My one acts in the same way. One adjustable mode only.

wwglen

Enlightened
If it wasn't for the flicker this would be perfect for me to use in general utility, house and camping.

Not to good for tactical though but can kindo be made to work.

wwglen

wwglen

Enlightened
Five days as above and still going on low and will still ramp up to full power.

I will measure the current (battery) at the marked levels next week.

wwglen

naicidrac

Newly Enlightened
I just received my 11836 from dx for my surefire G2. Well first off it will not fit right into my G2 so it looks like it might need a little custom work, but what worries me is when I touch it to the brand new batteries the LED does not turn on. AM I missing something, the stock P60 bulb fires right up after making contact with the batteries. Thanks for the help.

naicidrac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, but I know the switch is good because I plug in teh p60 bulb and it works fine. Hmm, who knows I will keep checking and if anyone can add anymore info I would appreciate it.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope it's ok to ask a noobie question here. I'm not really sure what search words to use for my query. I'm thinking of getting a drop-in, and I have a host which I believe it will fit. My question is: the host torch has a twist on-off tailcap with a button for momentary on. With a multi mode drop-in, will the different modes be useable with this kind of switch? (It wouldn't actually be a problem if I were stuck with full brightness). Cheers.

Alternatley, if there is a thread explaining this, please link me up. :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Each push of the momentary would get you a different mode.

You would need to hold the button down and use the other hand to tighten the cap to keep it on.

Clickies do work better with multi mode drop ins.

I TEND to have reverse switches on single brightness drops and forwards on multis... with one or two exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.