P60 sized led drop-ins (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: p60 sized led drop-in's part 2

Looking at the OP, none of the modules will do what the Surefire P60L will do with only one mode, high. They all overpower the P60L. Best thing, I think, would be to pick one of the modules with multiple modes, the Q5 WC from DX with three modes probably being the best bet, so you can dial in a the brightness level of your choice and it will always be there without fiddling around. The UI looks simple. Not sure if it truly compatible with Surefire C series heads.

Bill

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you were running two CR123's the amp draw would probably be .80A. You Led is probably seeing about 1 amp, or very close to that. The more volts you add to system, the lower the draw from the batteries= buck regulation. The closer the vin is to vf the more effecient the converter works. Adding voltage reduces effeciency, but does dramatically improve runtime.

Bill

+

Well said Bill..:thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Some more DX R2 impressions...

Went on a night hike last night and I think I can now put it into words better. SKU:6090 (Cree P4) does not have the deep-penetrating ability of the SKU:11836 (Cree R2). They'll both light up the trees at over 100++ yards... but the R2 module illuminates "deeper" into the trees. The closer you get to the object the more apparent this becomes. The R2 module allows you to see through the leaves and twigs and see the trunk of the tree. While the P4 lights up the leaves/twigs and casts partial-shadows over whats behind them. So you still see the tree-trunk, but its slightly more of a silhouette outline... and not quite as visible of a textured wood surface.

My beamshots do not do this subtle difference justice, and certainly my sony camera can't capture this at all. Its a small difference that I think most people would not notice but a difference flashahaulics would easily pick up. Both DX modules leave the Cree TF behind in this regard.

Last edited:

Centropolis

Enlightened

Some more DX R2 impressions...

Went on a night hike last night and I think I can now put it into words better. SKU:6090 (Cree P4) does not have the deep-penetrating ability of the SKU:11836 (Cree R2). They'll both light up the trees at over 100++ yards... but the R2 module illuminates "deeper" into the trees. The closer you get to the object the more apparent this becomes. The R2 module allows you to see through the leaves and twigs and see the trunk of the tree. While the P4 lights up the leaves/twigs and casts partial-shadows over whats behind them. So you still see the tree-trunk, but its slightly more of a silhouette outline... and not quite as visible of a textured wood surface.

My beamshots do not do this subtle difference justice, and certainly my sony camera can't capture this at all. Its a small difference that I think most people would not notice but a difference flashahaulics would easily pick up. Both DX modules leave the Cree TF behind in this regard.

I understand that a SF G2 is a host for these P60 sized drop-ins. But I am little worried about using my G2 as a host because very often the reviewers do say that it heats up quite fast and we have to be careful of using plastic bodies.

Should I be worried about putting a drop-in such as the R2 off DX in a G2? I have a 6PL but I'd rather screw around with a G2 than my beloved 6PL.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I understand that a SF G2 is a host for these P60 sized drop-ins. But I am little worried about using my G2 as a host because very often the reviewers do say that it heats up quite fast and we have to be careful of using plastic bodies.

Should I be worried about putting a drop-in such as the R2 off DX in a G2? I have a 6PL but I'd rather screw around with a G2 than my beloved 6PL.

I would do this. Run it for 5 minutes in your G2, then quickly remove the head and feel the drop in. Is is really, really hot? If not you can try a few more minutes, then check again, like 10 minutes. I run a Cree P4 that pulls .420mA's at tailcap and it is not too hot to run in my G2, or G2Z. My Malkoff M60 pulls to much current and just gets too hot.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I would do this. Run it for 5 minutes in your G2, then quickly remove the head and feel the drop in. Is is really, really hot? If not you can try a few more minutes, then check again, like 10 minutes. I run a Cree P4 that pulls 420mA's at tailcap with two RCR123's, and it is not too hot to run in my G2, or G2Z. My Malkoff M60 pulls to much current and just gets too hot.

Bill

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I am not really qualified to answer this because I don't have the nitrolon surefire. The safe thing would be to use your 6PL with the DXR2 (that I KNOW will work), and save the seoul P60L drop in for the G2.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

I replaced the polymer G2 bezel with a spare metal 6P bezel I had. This is basically the same setup as the stock SureFire G2L. You could do the same by getting an aftermarket metal bezel like a G&P.

I've run a DX 6090 in the slightly modified G2 with no problems. However, I haven't tried any extended runtimes. Just short multi-second bursts (say up to about 5 sec).

Marduke

Flashaholic

Out of the DX dropins, which ones are fully regulated on 1x17670? I think this one is judgeing by it's voltage specs, but I don't like that it's memory starts it off in the next mode. I would rather the module be either single mode with high brightness, or multiple mode with no memory, or memory to return to last setting used. I see many of the dropins list a voltage down to 2.9 or 3.0v, but I don't think they are regulated or full brightness at that level.

Basically I am looking for a buck/boost and not just a buck dropin.

Flash007

Enlightened

Out of the DX dropins, which ones are fully regulated on 1x17670? I think this one is judgeing by it's voltage specs, but I don't like that it's memory starts it off in the next mode. I would rather the module be either single mode with high brightness, or multiple mode with no memory, or memory to return to last setting used. I see many of the dropins list a voltage down to 2.9 or 3.0v, but I don't think they are regulated or full brightness at that level.

Basically I am looking for a buck/boost and not just a buck dropin.

:)

I've received SKU 11074 from DX since three days.

It's Q5 WC multi-mode, and very well regulated wich works only with one cell (17670 or 18650). Almost perfect regulation on high.

Look at the excellent review here (with runtime graphs on high-mid-low) :

http://www.light-reviews.com/dx_sku_11074/review.html

My conclusion : it's the best dropin actually available in low budget category, and one of the best all category ! :thumbsup:

The next step is to keep the same driver, and enhance the led (R2 with selected tint (WC or WG), and better leds later).

:naughty::thumbsup::naughty:

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Something for the P60 drop-in list,..
icon3.gif

A Rebel P60 drop-in:

http://www.newexcite.com/shop/index...id=126&zenid=682a08097b92cf4bb37a0e8d8065a820

Last edited:

dc

Newly Enlightened

:)

I've received SKU 11074 from DX since three days.

It's Q5 WC multi-mode, and very well regulated wich works only with one cell (17670 or 18650). Almost perfect regulation on high.

Look at the excellent review here (with runtime graphs on high-mid-low) :

http://www.light-reviews.com/dx_sku_11074/review.html

My conclusion : it's the best dropin actually available in low budget category, and one of the best all category ! :thumbsup:

The next step is to keep the same driver, and enhance the led (R2 with selected bin, and better leds later).

:naughty::thumbsup::naughty:

Hi Flash007,
Read from light-reviews.com that this light uses PWM on the lower output setting. I'm easily annoyed by pwn flickering but then my experience with pwm light is minimal cos i only have 1 light, a 1st generation Jetbeam Cle that uses pwm and it sure annoy the hell of me, given it low pwm frequency...haha

Are you able to detect the pwm on the modes as in does it flicker visibly? I'm hoping that sku11074 is using a higher pwm frequency that will make it undetectable to human eyes.

Thanks,
DC

Flash007

Enlightened

Hi Flash007,
Read from light-reviews.com that this light uses PWM on the lower output setting. I'm easily annoyed by pwn flickering but then my experience with pwm light is minimal cos i only have 1 light, a 1st generation Jetbeam Cle that uses pwm and it sure annoy the hell of me, given it low pwm frequency...haha

Are you able to detect the pwm on the modes as in does it flicker visibly? I'm hoping that sku11074 is using a higher pwm frequency that will make it undetectable to human eyes.

Thanks,
DC

I've done several tests, and I don't see any flickering in lower modes (medium and low). :)

I'm almost sure that PWM frequency is sufficiently high to not see flickering.

However, it's possible that some people are more sensitive to flickering than me.

I'll send a question to DX to see if he knows the PWM frequency on the SKU 11074.

:thumbsup:

dc

Newly Enlightened

Sounds good to me if you can't see any flickering in the medium and lower modes.
:thanks:

DC

fasuto

Enlightened

Are there any cheap (below 20$) modules available for Wolf Eyes d26 flashlights?

I tried to search without luck

Spypro

Enlightened

I just received my R2 drop-in for my G2 (sku.11836) from DX.
It fits my G2 perfectly with NO gap at all. I juste removed the outer spring.
I'm using 2 x AW RCR123A.
I compared it with my P3D-CE (turbo setting = 160 emitter lumen) and the drop-in is considerably brighter than the P3D.
I'll play with it tonight and I'll take some beamshots.

edit

I went out tonight to take beamshots.
I took my P3D (on turbo) to compare with the R2 drop-in.

Distance to tree ~45 feet:

P3D

R2 drop-in

Distance from pool ~30 feet:

P3D

R2 drop-in

Distance from ceiling ~5 feet:

P3D

R2 drop-in

+
BRIGHT
Throw very well
Warm beam (a little)
Inexpensive

-
Ringy beam (do not affect normal use)
Gets warm after 5 mins (would be safer in a metal body)

Last edited:

thegeek

Enlightened

Has anyone tried the Rebel drop in yet? Or know anything about it? That website is a little less than informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.