P60 sized led drop-ins (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Bought the optional smooth reflector but it didn't change the spot size or range/throw distance of both R2 drop-ins. :(

Aah thanks for posting this... I was wondering about that. too bad it didn't increase throw. Do you think the Lumen output increased with the smooth reflector dish?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have had this DX:17593 (Cree, R2-WC, 0-100%, single mode, memory, 3.6-8.4V) for almost a month, and I finally feel ready to throw out some impressions.

DX:17593

CHEERS
-Inexpensive, and free shipping
-R2/WC Cree emitter
-Drops right into a 6P, no need for the large spring
-NO STROBE !
-NO SOS !
-Infinitely variable output from about 1~175 Lumens
-As bright and throwey as DX:11836, with the added bonus of low-low mode capable, with every level in between.
-UI is easy to learn, no complicated hidden modes and flipping through modes to get to one you like. Set it at a mode you like and just leave it.
-NO STROBE/SOS !!!! (repeated intentionally:D)
-Cree rings are not as pronounced as my other DX modules. I am guessing this is random variation within production tolerances.
-Long run times are possible with the lower output modes, even with 2xRCR123 cells

JEERS
-PWM frequency is too low. While it doesn't really bother me that much, it can easily be seen when illuminating fast moving objects. In my video review you can see the PWM flickering, as it oscillates in and out of synch with the PWM of my cam-corder. It's important to note that the PWM flicker in person is NO WHERE near as severe as my cam-corder makes it appear on film.
-Under-driven Cree R2-WC emitter is VERY yellow tint in the lowest low modes. As it ramps up it whitens considerably at about the ~15% point and remains white on up to 100%.
-www site description is wrong. There are no "modes" (thankfully), its a single mode module that allows you ramp up to the output level you like.
-Like most other multi mode modules, it will switch to 0-100% mode with a brief power interruption. So giving the light a good WHACK will trip it into 0-100 mode. Because of this it should never be used mounted to a firearm, bike handlebars, or any application where shock impact is needed.

CURRENT DRAW MEASUREMENTS
Measured with 8.4 Volts from 2xRCR123 cells
-High = 610mah
-50% = 280mah
-25% = 100mah
-Low-Low = 35mah

SUBJECTIVE COMMENTS
Overall I like this module MUCH better than DX:14442. Its considerably brighter, while throwing farther, without having to fumble through the flashy modes. I never really found 14442 low mode low enough for my tastes.

DX17593 is very much like DX11836, they just added the output ramping capabilities without sacrificing the output on high. It has added another dimension to my SF-M2... It can serve double duty, preserving night dilated vision as well as blasting out ~175 Lumens. I find it the most versatile of all my DX drop ins.

PWM frequency:sick2: YUK!!! I don't find it terribly annoying, but... it most definitely IS noticeable. The PWM pulsing is my biggest complaint with an otherwise VERY well designed module. My daughter noticed it RIGHT away. "Daddy why are my hands choppy? They move funny!!". Even the color tint doesn't bother me all THAT much. I find warmer tints easier on the eyes. So when my eyes are night dilated it works out OK, however tint-perfectionists will be bothered. Overall I would say in low-low mode 17593 is as yellow as a nichia CS/GS is blue.

Phwew... I can't think of anything more to type:D. Here's my video review, hope you enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8T4inWo4GA

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Last edited:

rejeme

Newly Enlightened
I just received my DX:17593 0-100% drop in for my G2. I works great, but I can't tighten lens part of my flashlight all the way down. The DX:17593 is fatter than the Surefire P60 it replaces. Is there any way to cure this "gap" problem?

CampingLED

Enlightened
I just received my DX:17593 0-100% drop in for my G2. I works great, but I can't tighten lens part of my flashlight all the way down. The DX:17593 is fatter than the Surefire P60 it replaces. Is there any way to cure this "gap" problem?

Did you remove the large outer spring? It must be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.